Canadian Politics

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The only way this ever changes is if Trudeau resigns, the government stops hammering us about climate change & stops taxing us to death. And Jagmeet Singh quits complaining about the Liberal government on social media but keeps Trudeau in power in Parliament. We've have the highest inflation rate in 45 years, government services have virtually stopped functioning like getting passports & airports are a mess. People's budgets & discretionary spending are limited. No one is getting ahead anymore. A lot of Canadians live paycheque to paycheque. Something that was worth X yesterday is now worth Y today. 

Actually, it could get worse if someone like Chrystia Freeland, Steven Guilbault, Melanie Joly, Francois Phillipe-Champagne, takes over & continues on with the same agenda Trudeau is pushing through now. The Genie is out of the bottle. I think it's too late. The mistrust of government has never been as high as it is now.  More & more people will become radicalized & emboldened to perhaps try to overthrow the Canadian government. 

I don't support armed insurrection. I support a change of government on Election Day through the democratic process. A growing number of Canadians are losing patience. They don't feel they are being heard or they believe that political Elites run the country. At some point, they may be willing to do acts of violence to make that happen. 

So, if we reject a progressive agenda in every way, then we can satisfy the nutjobs so they won't destroy our country?

I think the best thing for Canada long term is that PP wins the leadership and gets absolutely destroyed in the election. Show that group of clowns that there is no place in Canada for that type of politics and perhaps we can put that to bed for a few decades. The stuff I'm seeing in the US right now, which seems absurdity bordering on satire, seems like the logical path if PP gets any power federally.

20 hours ago, Tracker said:

I drove east on #1 highway on Sunday afternoon and about 12km east of Winnipeg there was a gathering of convoy protesters on a frontage road, complete with big Canadian and American flags. there was less than a dozen vehicles and this would probably qualify as emotional masturbation that may make you feel good but produces no new life,

I saw this as well since my family is in the area. It was/is? at Centre of Canada park. When I passed in the morning it was only a few vehicles, but it grew considerably by the time I came back in the late afternoon. I was really tempted to join in with my truck and push the "Freedom" message to its full extent. One side of my truck covered with abortion-rights slogans and the other covered with anti-private property slogans. Maybe throw in some LGBTQ+ rights slogans on the hood and back of the truck. See how those arguments go over with the freedom-loving crowd.

15 hours ago, the watcher said:

I agree with some of your points BUT my issue is we don't have a viable alternative. It's my firm belief PP will be a disaster. Both because of his willingness to pander to the nut jobs and because I really question his ability to to be a good functioning government. I like Singh but I doubt Canadians are willing to vote him in due to his ethnicity. I think a Trudeau less Liberal party would draw alot of support. Would it be better ? Who knows.

Singh is doing himself & the NDP in supporting the Liberals. I don't think Trudeau wants to wait 3 years for an election. I think he'll be ready to go in a year tops. Tell Singh thanks but no thanks to your dental care plan & take on the new PC leader. 

12 hours ago, WildPath said:

So, if we reject a progressive agenda in every way, then we can satisfy the nutjobs so they won't destroy our country?

I think the best thing for Canada long term is that PP wins the leadership and gets absolutely destroyed in the election. Show that group of clowns that there is no place in Canada for that type of politics and perhaps we can put that to bed for a few decades. The stuff I'm seeing in the US right now, which seems absurdity bordering on satire, seems like the logical path if PP gets any power federally.

This seems to be the way things are going as I see it anyway. So much hatred & mistrust of government at all levels by right wing supporters. We see it in Alberta with the knuckle draggers & conspiracy theorists supporting Danielle Smith for leader of the UPC. We see it with Max Bernier of the PPC & with Pollievre of the CPC. Threr's no more moderate conservatives anymore. They are being pushed aside. 

On 2022-08-09 at 11:03 AM, JCon said:

Not in the least bit surprised...

Poilievre -- who was endorsed last month by former Prime Minister Stephen Harper and has vowed to fire the governor of the Bank of Canada if he becomes prime minister -- leads Trudeau among men, non-college graduates and people who can’t work remotely from home, the data show. He lags badly, however, with women, older Canadians and university educated voters.

This was the big point of the last poll - https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/poilievre-preferred-among-conservatives-but-charest-favoured-by-canadians-poll-1.6021107

4 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

what isn't being reported is how many canadians hate Trudeau so much that they want a change so they'll hold their nose & vote for Pierre Pollievre anyway. Don't think there isn't a huge swath of people like that as there is. 

18 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

what isn't being reported is how many canadians hate Trudeau so much that they want a change so they'll hold their nose & vote for Pierre Pollievre anyway. Don't think there isn't a huge swath of people like that as there is. 

No.... I just absolutely refuse to believe this is true. I think you've been living in Alberta too long, and are too indoctrinated in the cult.  I would even go further and say it's the exact opposite of how you describe it: People will hold their nose and vote Trudeau because they can't stand the thought of a Trumpian Canada under PP. 

Edited by Noeller

33 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

what isn't being reported is how many Canadians hate Trudeau so much that they want a change so they'll hold their nose & vote for Pierre Poillievre anyway. Don't think there isn't a huge swath of people like that as there is. 

There is no need to survey who holds those opinions- it is most of Albertama and half of Saskatchewan.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

i think as time goes on more & more people hate Trudeau. 

I'd say "as time goes on those who hate Trudeau get louder and more extreme". Maybe PP is fooling some new recruits into believing Trudeau is to blame for for all their problems, but I'd say and hope its more just making the existing ones more prominent and convinced.

13 minutes ago, WildPath said:

I'd say "as time goes on those who hate Trudeau get louder and more extreme". Maybe PP is fooling some new recruits into believing Trudeau is to blame for for all their problems, but I'd say and hope its more just making the existing ones more prominent and convinced.

I'm very concerned about our domestic energy & climate change policies. It's like the Liberals have blinders on or they think it's still 2017. Especially with Europe under Russia's thumb & winter coming. Will he turn off the taps? We could help the EU with energy if we had a pipeline carrying AB oil to tidewater in the St Lawrence or Nova Scotia. A 30% reduction on fertilizers will mean a 30% reduction on food production. Not only here in Canada but elsewhere in the world. Food will become much more expensive. We could be seeing famines in the future & food shortages here at home. Or rich countries hoarding food at the expense of poor countries. 

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Delete

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm very concerned about our domestic energy & climate change policies. It's like the Liberals have blinders on or they think it's still 2017. Especially with Europe under Russia's thumb & winter coming. Will he turn off the taps? We could help the EU with energy if we had a pipeline carrying AB oil to tidewater in the St Lawrence or Nova Scotia. A 30% reduction on fertilizers will mean a 30% reduction on food production. Not only here in Canada but elsewhere in the world. Food will become much more expensive. We could be seeing famines in the future & food shortages here at home. Or rich countries hoarding food at the expense of poor countries. 

You do realize that beyond the subsidies that we've provided for O&G, this same government literally bought a pipeline that has been losing a ton of public money? Trudeau has also advocated for Keystone XL when cancelled by Biden. What exactly are you saying the feds should do? Abandon climate change goals and put even more public funds towards O&G?

You're also aware that the 30% reduction on fertilizers isn't actually a 30% reduction on fertilizers? It is a reduction on emissions from fertilizers, working towards efficiency rather than banning.

Q1: Is the Government of Canada establishing mandatory reductions in fertilizer use?

A1: Nitrogen fertilizer plays an important role in Canadian agriculture. Efforts to achieve emissions reductions will focus on improving nitrogen management and optimizing fertilizer use – not a mandatory reduction in the use of fertilizers. For example, practices such as the use of enhanced efficiency fertilizers, minimizing Fall application and/or broadcasting of fertilizers, increased use of pulses in crop rotations, and annual soil testing can improve nitrogen use efficiency and reduce emissions.

The Government of Canada is working collaboratively with the agriculture sector, partners and stakeholders in identifying opportunities that will allow us to successfully reach this target.

I can't see how any investment in O&G would be anything other than a net loss in the long term for our economy, beyond being completely environmentally irresponsible. The problem we've had in the country is that we've dug in to a declining industry for political reasons for too long. Kenney's energy war room has been a disastrous use of public funds. The sooner we realize digging in on O&G isn't the answer, the better.

23 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This has been proposed a couple of times but was shot down by a couple of provinces- Ontario and Quebec.

On 2022-08-13 at 3:37 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Somehow I can't see the any of the provinces onboard with a reduction in fertilizer meaning a reduction in production. 

What does a reduction in fertilizer emissions have to do with a pipeline to the St. Lawrence, a project that both Ontario and Quebec vetoed in the past?

All right, so your basic position is that Trudeau's climate and energy policies are wrong?

The issue with what you are suggesting is that Quebec will not allow a pipeline through its territory or are you suggesting the federal government should force an oil pipeline and a LNG pipeline through Quebec or another province?

14 minutes ago, the watcher said:

A question . Has Trudeau said he is staying on as leader ? Has there been any rumblings that he will step down ?

Rumblings prior to the last election. Nothing since. However, he did say, after the last election, he intended on staying on. Who knows. Sooner he goes the better for everyone. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Rumblings prior to the last election. Nothing since. However, he did say, after the last election, he intended on staying on. Who knows. Sooner he goes the better for everyone. 

I think alot of the drop in the polls isTrudeau himself( but I am admittedly biased). I think a new Liberal leader would bump them back up. But I don't see him as a take one for the team and step down kind of guy.

10 minutes ago, the watcher said:

I think alot of the drop in the polls isTrudeau himself( but I am admittedly biased). I think a new Liberal leader would bump them back up. But I don't see him as a take one for the team and step down kind of guy.

Like his dad? 🤣

Yeah, I'm not sure what he's thinking. I bet, if advised, he would step aside but I don't think he's put those kind of people around him. 

Maybe they're worried about the quality of candidates for leadership? I wouldn't be. 

And, anything would be better than the clown show that the Convoy Party has. 

I almost wonder if the constant unfair targeting of Trudeau by the right helps the party. There are legitimate criticisms, but most of the criticisms from PP & Co. are ridiculous, inaccurate and beyond the control of Trudeau (Justinflation for example). I know it makes me more sympathetic and has me thinking along the lines of "whatever we can do to stop PP from getting power". The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Perhaps some apathetic voters will see the danger of Trumpism coming to Canada and will increase voter turnout?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/inflation-rate-july-1.6552298

Canada's inflation rate fell to 7.6 per cent in July, according to a report Tuesday from Statistics Canada, marking the first time in 12 months that the rate has decreased from the previous month.

In June, inflation hit a 39-year high of 8.1 per cent, with gasoline prices the single biggest contributor to the overall rate increase.

By contrast, gasoline prices declined on a monthly basis in July, according to the agency's Consumer Price Index. Consumers paid 9.2 per cent less for gasoline in July than they did in June, a monthly decline not seen since April 2020.

Ontario saw a 12.2 per cent monthly decline in gas prices — the largest of any province — after the provincial government implemented a gas and fuel tax cut on July 1.

The overall downward trend, which was expected by economists, indicates that skyrocketing inflation is starting to ease up. But it's still a long way from the Bank of Canada's 2.2 per cent target.

3 minutes ago, WildPath said:

I almost wonder if the constant unfair targeting of Trudeau by the right helps the party. There are legitimate criticisms, but most of the criticisms from PP & Co. are ridiculous, inaccurate and beyond the control of Trudeau (Justinflation for example). I know it makes me more sympathetic and has me thinking along the lines of "whatever we can do to stop PP from getting power". The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Perhaps some apathetic voters will see the danger of Trumpism coming to Canada and will increase voter turnout?

I believe that strategy might work if Trudeau had not been in power since 2015. I believe there is a lot of fatigue with him, even among moderates. A new voice and effective new leadership would be nice. There are some portfolios that have been grossly ignored and a few that seem to be floundering. New voice, new direction and a new commitment to getting some legislation done. 

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Justdeflation.