Maximum Value for our 1st & 5th picks

BigBlue

17 hours ago, BigBlue said:

what is "best player available" any way? unless there is a superstar in waiting who is not NFL bound the whole concept seems nebulous and murky

You may not be able to see the difference in talent level between any thing but superstars and the rest but there is one. If you cant see that difference you may as well throw darts at a board covered with names. 

• 3 weeks later...

The key is making wise safe selections.  I see nothing wrong with the picks we've made so far. You need to have a high volume of picks in the top three rounds and and do your due diligence. We've added a lot of talent through the draft and wouldn't call it a crapshoot. Chung, Goosen, Loffler, Corney, Waggoner, Couture, ect have been valuable additions to our ball club. The key is to have a good organization where players want to play so you don't end up losing these guys later on. Don't take players in the first 3 rounds who are heading directly to the NFL unless you have great Canadian depth and may not have room for new players without having to let go of a quality Canadian on your roster already. We are not at that point yet but may be there in a couple of years.  I would not trade a first round pick for Franklin. We need to be able to develop quaterbacks on our own and get to the point where other teams are willing to trade high picks for your extra quarterbacks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2017 at 2:46 PM, Colin Unger said:

The key is making wise safe selections.  I see nothing wrong with the picks we've made so far. You need to have a high volume of picks in the top three rounds and and do your due diligence. We've added a lot of talent through the draft and wouldn't call it a crapshoot. Chung, Goosen, Loffler, Corney, Waggoner, Couture, ect have been valuable additions to our ball club. The key is to have a good organization where players want to play so you don't end up losing these guys later on. Don't take players in the first 3 rounds who are heading directly to the NFL unless you have great Canadian depth and may not have room for new players without having to let go of a quality Canadian on your roster already. We are not at that point yet but may be there in a couple of years.  I would not trade a first round pick for Franklin. We need to be able to develop quaterbacks on our own and get to the point where other teams are willing to trade high picks for your extra quarterbacks. 

Im all for gambling with depth picks. Especially with how deep we are at NI. Hindsight is 20/20 of course but look back at last year after loffler was about that time. If we can identify the drop off spot well enough and it isnt pushed down by sliding prospects some futures picks are good to have. 

But out high picks we certainly need to continue to try to get guys who will be on the roster for this years TC. That development time for young NIs is massive. 

Im not ready to sell the farm or much on franklin. If we miss out on glenn, or another similar vet who can step in to back up the most id want to give up is spot swapping. like our first for a 2-3 franklin and a future 2-3. Which has about a .00000000000000001% chance of happening. 

11 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Package Ryan Smith and our 5th for Jacob Ruby and Montreal's 12th...?

I know this is mostly a joke post, but Jacob Ruby has been a glorified turnstile from Day 1....I wouldn't want that guy around here. 

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

I know this is mostly a joke post, but Jacob Ruby has been a glorified turnstile from Day 1....I wouldn't want that guy around here. 

Yeah, sigh.  You're right.

And the Jets are so depressingly bad, that I'm not even going to argue Jacob Ruby's finer points until the whole board lights me up.  I just don't have it in me.

Thanks Chevy.

Did a little research. If we want to get a decent Canadian receiver, our best bet is to use all three of our top picks this year on receivers and then wait:

CFL players drafted since 2008 who have had 500 yards receiving in a season:

2008:

Sam Giguere (2 times)

2009:

2010:

Shawn Gore (5 times)

Cory Watson (2 times)

2011:

Anthony Parker (1 time)

Nate Coehoorn (2 times)

Brad Sinopoli (2 times, both over 1000 yards, only player on list with 1000-yard season(s))

Rory Kohlert (1 time – went undrafted in 2009, entered league as UFA n 2011)

2012:

2013:

2014:

2015:

2016:

Also, here’s an article that shows time will judge draft results much better than initial perceptions: http://www.bluebombers.com/2013/05/06/blue-bombers-pleased-with-2013-cfl-draft/

22 hours ago, Noeller said:

didn't jacob ruby handle the Bombers D line ( 55 I guess) pretty well in at least one game last season?

I remember that through the fog, that he was supposed to be easy pickings, then he wasn't.

14 minutes ago, Mark F said:

didn't jacob ruby handle the Bombers D line ( 55 I guess) pretty well in at least one game last season?

I remember that through the fog, that he was supposed to be easy pickings, then he wasn't.

Yeah that definitely happened.  Everyone thought that would be the game that our DLine would go off and then Montreal shut them down completely.

46 minutes ago, nate007 said:

Also, here’s an article that shows time will judge draft results much better than initial perceptions: http://www.bluebombers.com/2013/05/06/blue-bombers-pleased-with-2013-cfl-draft/

Interesting research... shows how tough it is to find a great Canadian receiver in this era.

As for the 2013 draft... the Bombers may have acted pleased but most observers thought they totally blew it, even back then.  Taking Mulumba was misguided at best, Robertson and Fitzgerald were blown picks, DiCroce had potential but was a known bandaid.

13 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Interesting research... shows how tough it is to find a great Canadian receiver in this era.

As for the 2013 draft... the Bombers may have acted pleased but most observers thought they totally blew it, even back then.  Taking Mulumba was misguided at best, Robertson and Fitzgerald were blown picks, DiCroce had potential but was a known bandaid.

Depressing how surprisingly deep that draft was... lots of late round picks ended up in the league

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Certainly there were some good late picks in that draft but the first couple rounds were pretty barren, unless you count guys who are currently in the NFL as good picks.

That was the problem with that draft, all the best guys were going to the NFL so the Bombers took one that they felt wouldn't stick, he did stick despite most people's thoughts, c'est la vie. 

54 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

That was the problem with that draft, all the best guys were going to the NFL so the Bombers took one that they felt wouldn't stick, he did stick despite most people's thoughts, c'est la vie. 

He had already signed a contract...