First post 'expectations in '17'

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

And yet Winnipeggers keep proving my attitudes correct. Wahhhh I like the old location better, bet the old arena location was better too, I remember the stink about daring to put the arena down town. Winnipeg will complain about absolutely everything. 

It appears that complaining isn't limited to Winnipegers. 

Just now, MOBomberFan said:

The stadium is where it is because it killed two birds with one stone, not because it was the best location. Saying otherwise is ignorance at best. Willful ignorance in some cases...

1st stone: Bombers need a new stadiu\m

2nd stone: they need it in the middle of no where?

profit?

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

And yet Winnipeggers keep proving my attitudes correct. Wahhhh I like the old location better, bet the old arena location was better too, I remember the stink about daring to put the arena down town. Winnipeg will complain about absolutely everything. 

It's a valid point though,   as I said before my dad is near 70.  He doesn't want to spend anywhere from 90 - 120 minutes in cramped school bus just because they put the stadium in a terrible place.    

It was just an illogical place with limited entrances/exits.    

The MTS Centre and the Goldeyes ball park both have dozens of exits and ways to spread apart to each area of the town.   

IMO it would of made more sense to have had the football stadium at the Forks or St Boniface or somewhere that has many routes to get in and out.  

Portage & Main

Polo Park: 5.4 km 13 min

IGF: 13 km 21 min

Charleswood

Polo Park: 9.3 km 14 min

IGF: 15 km 20 min

Garden City

Polo Park: 10 km 20 min

IGF: 18 km 33 min

North Kildonan

Polo Park: 12 km 22 min

IGF: 18 km 30 min

East Kildonan

Polo Park: 13 km 25 min

IGF: 23 km 29 min

East St. Paul

Polo Park: 31 km 29 min

IGF: 40 km 32 min

Trancona

Polo Park: 15 km 30 min

IGF: 25 km 25 min

St. Vital

Polo Park: 18 km 27 min

IGF: 6 km 11 min

St. Boniface

Polo Park: 13 km 24 min

IGF: 12 km 18 min

Brandon 

Polo Park: 210 km 2h 13min

IGF: 227 km 2h 17min

These driving times are not that different. Also not in the middle of nowhere, there are plenty of restaurants and bars in the area. Middle of nowhere would be on the ex grounds.  

Is one of the big factors that there is more free parking at Polo Park?

As it's been mentioned, Winnipegers don't like change and year 1 @ IGF was a horrible first impression.

Stadiums and arenas need big footprints that the cost to put them in central locations balloons the price. 

MTS centre lucked out because the land donation bought Thompson into True North. 

The land sale of the old location was part of the funding of the stadium that wouldn't have been there had they built at that location  

I have no idea the answer to this question but what was around the polo park area when the old stadium and arena were built?

50 minutes ago, Dr. Blue said:

Portage & Main

Charleswood

Garden City

North Kildonan

East Kildonan

East St. Paul

Trancona

St. Vital

St. Boniface

Brandon 

These driving times are not that different. Also not in the middle of nowhere, there are plenty of restaurants and bars in the area. Middle of nowhere would be on the ex grounds.  

As it's been mentioned, Winnipegers don't like change and year 1 @ IGF was a horrible first impression.

Those times are pretty much meaningless for events.  Polo Park is basically at the centre of the city's transportation network or at the very least on the edge of it.  Many major routes available in all directions.  The U of M campus is extremely isolated.  There are 3 roads in and out, and only 2 are accessible for events.  Everyone entering and exiting the campus has to go through Pembina Highway, be it in their own car or on a bus.  It's a ridiculous traffic jam.  You're only going to deal with it if you really want to attend a game and you can't really get that last minute day of game walk up because it takes significant planning to get to a game.  It's a barrier, whether people want to label it whining or not the resulting empty seats speak for themselves.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Lawless reports that the Bombers and Nichols are far apart in negotiations. Apparently, Nichols is asking in the 400k range and if Durant is still available when it gets down to the short strokes, Nichols may have priced himself out of Blue and Gold.

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It's a barrier, whether people want to label it whining or not the resulting empty seats speak for themselves.

So when attendance was terrible at the old stadium, what was the excuse then?

If you look at the numbers from the late 90's, the attendance sucked worse than they do now and they didn't have to compete with the NHL either.

6 hours ago, Dr. Blue said:

Portage & Main

Charleswood

Garden City

North Kildonan

East Kildonan

East St. Paul

Trancona

St. Vital

St. Boniface

Brandon 

Yeah those 4 minutes really all the difference for me lol. After that first year IGF has been a breeze for parking and coming/going. Any of you Winnipeggers need some tips this out of towner (and his retired father) would be happy to offer advice ?.  We got a damn fine stadium. The location is fine (good for the U of M Bison too). This complaining has been going on for over 3 years. Please stop.

Last time I lived in Winnipeg I had season tickets at the Polo Park location. Something around $100, sitting in the end zone, but it was excellent value. Really enjoyed it. It was during swaggerville and pretty much every game was worth going to. Lived in the north end at the time and biked to just about every game. You wouldn't believe how quick you could get into and out of games on a bike. If I had been driving to the games, my commute would have likely been twice as long.

I know many fans wouldn't consider it, but I would expect biking in and out of the new location would be even better. I used to bike there from Osborne village daily when I was a student. Tons of bike infrastructure for getting into and out of the area. Again, many wouldn't consider it, but that is what I would look at if I moved back to town.

Always wanted to combine driving and biking. Park a bit out of the way, but be able to get there quick on a bike. Gotta have a truck or decent sized vehicle to take the bike I guess....

Edited by WildPath