First post 'expectations in '17'

With all the stadium talk here, I'm still bitter about how stupid the Bombers looked at the start of the 2012 season when we pleaded with the CFL to schedule 4 road games at the start of the year to "give us more time to build our stadium"... only to have to concede and eventually use Canad Inns for the rest of the season.

Then in 2013, we looked even stupider with the parking fiasco, I remember the first home game, the stadium was sold out and only about half the people made it to opening kickoff because of traffic... On top of that, they encouraged fans to bike to the stadium, and within the first few weeks of the season, a Bomber fan cycling to the game had already been killed.

It looks like they've managed to get things under control now, to an extent, they've been more organized as a whole, and they've used things like the after-game DJ parties and before-game tailgate parties to help reduce traffic congestion around kickoff. I think the fans will return once the Bombers have a few good seasons, people have to remember that before the 2016 season, the Bombers went 3-15, 7-11 and 5-13.

17 hours ago, tracker said:

We may have our lacy underthings all bunched up for no reason. Nichols may be asking for the moon but reality may intrude as it often does.

agree.

I  think this is hot air, this Nichols wants 475000.00. story.

I don't believe it.

Who is original source of this? Till I hear the name, I don't care about it.

Edited by Mark F
agree

1 hour ago, tracker said:

RE: 2017.  The Bombers had a lot of good fortune in that mid-season win streak which deserted them at the end  ,but I do not how much we can count on a similar aligning of planets next year.

there's plenty of to be optimistic about.  If you factor in some of the injuries we suffered early in the year, especially on the Oline, and running with Willy at the time, that 1-4 start could have easily been better, and would not have required a big win streak (though always welcomed).  

If there is any point to focus on, as far as what we can be and can continue to improve on going into 2017 is the home and home with BC and the 3rd match in the playoffs.   Yes we gave the game away in the WSF, but the fact we were in a position to win all game,  and that close to a 3 game sweep of one of the better teams in the league, the future is bright.  

29 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

there's plenty of to be optimistic about.  If you factor in some of the injuries we suffered early in the year, especially on the Oline, and running with Willy at the time, that 1-4 start could have easily been better, and would not have required a big win streak (though always welcomed).  

If there is any point to focus on, as far as what we can be and can continue to improve on going into 2017 is the home and home with BC and the 3rd match in the playoffs.   Yes we gave the game away in the WSF, but the fact we were in a position to win all game,  and that close to a 3 game sweep of one of the better teams in the league, the future is bright.  

I my opinion the concerns are more about not using the talent at their disposal. Three Americans on the OL should have been a given right from the start of the season.

4 hours ago, WildPath said:

Last time I lived in Winnipeg I had season tickets at the Polo Park location. Something around $100, sitting in the end zone, but it was excellent value. Really enjoyed it. It was during swaggerville and pretty much every game was worth going to. Lived in the north end at the time and biked to just about every game. You wouldn't believe how quick you could get into and out of games on a bike. If I had been driving to the games, my commute would have likely been twice as long.

I know many fans wouldn't consider it, but I would expect biking in and out of the new location would be even better. I used to bike there from Osborne village daily when I was a student. Tons of bike infrastructure for getting into and out of the area. Again, many wouldn't consider it, but that is what I would look at if I moved back to town.

Always wanted to combine driving and biking. Park a bit out of the way, but be able to get there quick on a bike. Gotta have a truck or decent sized vehicle to take the bike I guess....

Part of the congestion has to also be attributed to the fact that they ban residential parking in Fort Richmond. I live just across the river in St. Vital, basically at the foot of the Fort Garry bridge. It's a 20ish minute walk to the stadium, and my street (and all the surrounding ones) fills up 60-90 minutes before each game, and tons of people make their way over the bridge together on foot and bike.

It's a great atmosphere and has minimal negative impact on the neighbourhood. Not sure what makes the Fort Richmond and University Heights folks so privileged, but allowing street parking in those areas would add a couple thousand parking spaces within a 2-km radius of the stadium, allow traffic to accumulate and disperse more gradually, and add to the game day atmosphere of the area.

2 hours ago, tracker said:

RE: 2017.  The Bombers had a lot of good fortune in that mid-season win streak which deserted them at the end  ,but I do not how much we can count on a similar aligning of planets next year.

Good and bad luck with injuries can make or break a season. This year we benefitted from a rash of QB injuries to our opponents while Nichols remained fairly healthy. It's about time we caught a break that way. The other thing was the improved play of our Oline. Oh, and of course, Medlock.

Edited by J5V

33 minutes ago, nate007 said:

Part of the congestion has to also be attributed to the fact that they ban residential parking in Fort Richmond. I live just across the river in St. Vital, basically at the foot of the Fort Garry bridge. It's a 20ish minute walk to the stadium, and my street (and all the surrounding ones) fills up 60-90 minutes before each game, and tons of people make their way over the bridge together on foot and bike.

It's a great atmosphere and has minimal negative impact on the neighbourhood. Not sure what makes the Fort Richmond and University Heights folks so privileged, but allowing street parking in those areas would add a couple thousand parking spaces within a 2-km radius of the stadium, allow traffic to accumulate and disperse more gradually, and add to the game day atmosphere of the area.

thats a dangerous 20 min strut lol.  i went to the edmonton game back in July with a girl who lived off of river right by the bridge (blackmore maybe) so i parked on her street,  but by the end of the game we were wandering in the pitch black narrowly avoiding a brigade of cyclists every few seconds who were hard to see unless they had lights on.  I think we eventually ended up on Agassiz Dr to reach the bridge, curious if parking is allowed there? or if anyone knows

The pragmatics for me ... I could easily leave an hour before the game and be in the stands with refreshments in plenty of time before kick-off ... in slow traffic I was home by 11:30 in time to watch the pvr-ed highlites on TV ... some times it was by 11pm

Now on park and ride I have to leave two hours before the game at least and squeeze in supper before that ... after the game I am rarely home before midnight and 1am is more common ... add that together and its as much time as a whole shift at work and I am eating at 1am which affects my sleep and the next day ... I want that extra 2-3 hours back .... cut it back to an hour each way and I will find watching the game on TV much less appealing than the in person delight 

14 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

thats a dangerous 20 min strut lol.  i went to the edmonton game back in July with a girl who lived off of river right by the bridge (blackmore maybe) so i parked on her street,  but by the end of the game we were wandering in the pitch black narrowly avoiding a brigade of cyclists every few seconds who were hard to see unless they had lights on.  I think we eventually ended up on Agassiz Dr to reach the bridge, curious if parking is allowed there? or if anyone knows

No, parking is not allowed there... I know b/c I have a friend that lives on Glengarry and he let's me park at his place... about 10-15 minute walk from there... It only costs me a case of beer per season!