Silver lining.

wbbfan

Defence sucked mightily today. The offence had moments but they killed themselves with turnovers and bad third down gamble decisions. I would have played Davis for the fourth. I know and Ottawa knows what Glenn can offer but no one knows Davis and that could have been the push needed to break the funk on O. IMHO

6 hours ago, Goalie said:

Same old stuff after a loss from the same old posters. It's 1 game. Yeah they sucked but it's 1 game. No need to jump off ledges yet unless you feel like making the site more readable. ;)

You have to admit it was a pathetic performance for a game that had such important playoff implications for the Bombers. The season is not over and it was only one game but it highlighted all the weaknesses with this team. 

At the beginning of the year we were hoping to be at least at 500 and perhaps sneak into the playoffs. Yesterday was not pretty to say the least but hey, S*** happens. Next week is the last of the regular season then it's a brand new season where we are all at the same level. Home game advantage is the only difference but for us it's been an disadvantage. Every QB except that robot in Calgary have seen at least one bad game. Better now then later.

Edited by LeBird

10 hours ago, do or die said:

The D had a bad 20 minutes.  The O had a bad 60.

There's more pressure on the D than there is on the O to play 60 minutes especially if your O is faltering like it was today.

We spotted them 16 points which ultimately did us in.

Would have been nice to see Glenn and see what he could have done with this O in case he's called upon in the playoffs. Imo it has nothing to do in losing confidence in Nichols and if Nichols takes it that way, we have a much bigger issue.

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

There's more pressure on the D than there is on the O to play 60 minutes especially if your O is faltering like it was today.

We spotted them 16 points which ultimately did us in.

Would have been nice to see Glenn and see what he could have done with this O in case he's called upon in the playoffs. Imo it has nothing to do in losing confidence in Nichols and if Nichols takes it that way, we have a much bigger issue.

I don't think the blame can be solely laid at the feet of Nichols....that was a team effort orrr more accurately a team non-effort...I was hoping to see a playoff game at home...Still possible I guess....but not likely....So if that was the last game we see of our guys at home this year, that was not the way I wanted to see us end at IGF in 16...Kind of leaves a bad taste in a lot ways....Maybe the team can make up for it in a playoff (wherever)...Hope so.

5 minutes ago, LeBird said:

At the beginning of the year we were hoping to be at least at 500 and perhaps sneak into the playoffs. Yesterday was not pretty to say the least but hey, S*** happens. Next week is the last of the regular season then it's a brand new season where we are all at the same level. Home game advantage is the only difference but for us it's been an disadvantage. Every QB except that robot in Calgary have seen at least one bad game. Better now then later.

I agree.  I recall what we were like after the first six games of this season.  We were sitting at 1-5 and the calls for O'Shea's and Walters' heads were deafening.  If anyone at that time had said that we'd end up at a 10-8 or 11-7 record by years end and be in the playoffs, they would have been called aarvarkian and laughed off the board.  Even if we end up being "one and done", we did far better than anyone could have hoped in July.

Having said that, this was a bad game and O'Shea and the team need to turn this around but I seem to recall that they've be able to do that before, so let's not panic just yet.  

Can this team bounce back?   Sure.   No question.

But that particular "one game" given the implications......was simply a massive fail.   That loss put a real damper on the fanbase and perhaps cost us a home playoff game.   It certainly did not help, as far as building some sort of winning tradition at IGF.

There is a difference between jumping off ledges......and providing valid criticism, when warranted.

.....and in this case, given the number of areas, we played very poorly......warranted,

7 minutes ago, do or die said:

Can this team bounce back?   Sure.   No question.

But that particular "one game" given the implications......was simply a massive fail.   That loss put a real damper on the fanbase and perhaps cost us a home playoff game.   It certainly did not help, as far as building some sort of winning tradition at IGF.

There is a difference between jumping off ledges......and providing valid criticism, when warranted.

.....and in this case, given the number of areas, we played very poorly......warranted,

The "one game" excuse might fly if this were early in the season and we were still experimenting with schemes and such but this was not such a game. We needed to play well to give ourselves a chance to win to control our playoff destiny. I cannot explain why we played so poorly especially after coming off a bye-week. We should have been rested and sharp and we looked neither. Now, whether we win or not in Ottawa we cannot control our fate regarding hosting a playoff game. 

I'm just thinking..(I know that's dangerous).. that this fan base gets a tad down when the slightest loss (okay that one yesterday was a biggie) get's looked at extremely negatively from every angle..I have to wonder why that is sometimes, then I remember other years that ended similarly and badly...I guess 25 years and counting with no Cup can do that to a fan and the 'here we go again' syndrome comes into play...I think a lot of us are 'gun shy' and are desperate for some success post season...any success for that matter and when we see that threatened the jitters set in...We still have a chance to make up for that debacle and we know we have the talent to do just that...I just wished the team wouldn't make me so nervous.

15 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

So in terms of the playoff shakedown, with B.C. and Edmonton winning this week coupled with this loss, our only hope of hosting the Western semi-final is if we win next week in Ottawa whilst both Edmonton (playing Toronto) AND B.C. (playing Saskatchewan) lose at home.

Does anyone else feel it might be better to actually go through the East via cross-over? Playing away against Hamilton or Ottawa sounds better than taking on Edmonton or B.C....

Don't need Edmonton to lose, just BC. Our win puts us at 11 wins while Edmonton with a win would only have 10.

That being said it still requires Sask beating BC in BC. (and us winning too of course)

Edited by kcin94

THE WINNIPEG BLUE 
                           O
                           M
                           B
                           E
                           R
                           S

CROSS
                           V
                           E
                           R

6 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I'm just thinking..(I know that's dangerous).. that this fan base gets a tad down when the slightest loss (okay that one yesterday was a biggie) get's looked at extremely negatively from every angle..I have to wonder why that is sometimes, then I remember other years that ended similarly and badly...I guess 25 years and counting with no Cup can do that to a fan and the 'here we go again' syndrome comes into play...I think a lot of us are 'gun shy' and are desperate for some success post season...any success for that matter and when we see that threatened the jitters set in...We still have a chance to make up for that debacle and we know we have the talent to do just that...I just wished the team wouldn't make me so nervous.

Well for sure many of us are frustrated after 25 years. In the last three years we have gone from terrible to middle-of-the-pack. Yes we've improved. No we're not there yet. It looks like we're going to *just* make the playoffs this year but I don't expect anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't win another game this year and I wouldn't be terribly disappointed. What I need to know is that the people running this team and making the decisions are going to continue to improve this team until it is championship calibre. How else do we do that than by analyzing, identifying, and upgrading the non-championship-calibre components of our team? I don't consider that being negative. Quite the contrary. Is Nichols a championship-calibre QB? Are Paul Lapolice, Richie Hall, and Mike O'Shea championship-calibre coaches? Is Kyle Walters a championship-calibre GM? We all have our favourites, likes and dislikes, but no one should ever be considered untouchable and we need to be very careful before we commit to signing anyone to a long-term contract.

2 hours ago, J5V said:

Well for sure many of us are frustrated after 25 years. In the last three years we have gone from terrible to middle-of-the-pack. Yes we've improved. No we're not there yet. It looks like we're going to *just* make the playoffs this year but I don't expect anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't win another game this year and I wouldn't be terribly disappointed. What I need to know is that the people running this team and making the decisions are going to continue to improve this team until it is championship calibre. How else do we do that than by analyzing, identifying, and upgrading the non-championship-calibre components of our team? I don't consider that being negative. Quite the contrary. Is Nichols a championship-calibre QB? Are Paul Lapolice, Richie Hall, and Mike O'Shea championship-calibre coaches? Is Kyle Walters a championship-calibre GM? We all have our favourites, likes and dislikes, but no one should ever be considered untouchable and we need to be very careful before we commit to signing anyone to a long-term contract.

I guess you could read some of our post game comments as negative BUT you're right...Maybe a better statement would be is that a lot of us see our opinions as 'constructive criticism' rather than negative and I don't see that as a bad thing....Definitely agree we have a ways to go before we are considered as championship calibre...There's a few positions that need up grading....middle LB for one...AND are we sure Nichols has what it takes to get us there....If he steadily improves I think so,but I digress....Continuing to improve at all facets of the game including coaching is imperative....Continuity is a great thing, but the off season should produce some additions that can put this team over the top...IF it doesn't  ,maybe we have the wrong people..Having said all that I hope this current team surprises the hell out of me personally , and goes a lot further in the playoffs than a lot expect, including myself...I can go with that...

On 29/10/2016 at 6:35 PM, tracker said:

Couldn't agree more. The game was winnable but O'Shea's persistent stubbornness lost the game for us.

Not true at all. At this point in the year, you don't make a QB change to win the game. You make to protect your starter. There's zero reason to believe Davis/Glenn would have changed anything. However Nichols was out there taking hits for no reason.

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Not true at all. At this point in the year, you don't make a QB change to win the game. You make to protect your starter. There's zero reason to believe Davis/Glenn would have changed anything. However Nichols was out there taking hits for no reason.

There were no guarantees that either Davis or Glenn would have won the game. But yes, a smart coach would have seen early on that Nichols was not on his game and pulled him. The point in the season is irrelevant- what kind of message does it send to the team when the head coach signals that losing badly without intervening is ok? The way Nichols was playing, it was pretty much assured that the Bombers were going to lose and lose badly.

Edited by tracker

On 10/29/2016 at 9:17 PM, Eternal optimist said:

So in terms of the playoff shakedown, with B.C. and Edmonton winning this week coupled with this loss, our only hope of hosting the Western semi-final is if we win next week in Ottawa whilst both Edmonton (playing Toronto) AND B.C. (playing Saskatchewan) lose at home.

No, the Edmonton game means nothing... if we win we have 11 wins and Edmonton will have 10 (might as well just give them the W over Toronto now)... last time I checked, 11 is more than 10.... we need BC to lose plus a Bomber win to get 2nd...

However, a Bomber loss clinches second for BC, coupled with a Edm win would knock us to the cross-over... which isn't the worst situation ever but I'd prefer not to enter the playoffs on a 2-game losing streak...

On 10/29/2016 at 5:52 PM, wbbfan said:

The team got punched in the mouth today. And kicked while down. Gotta believe mos etc will be on these guys hard going into the last game of the week. No pads off practice this week. Nose the grind stone and try to get momentum going again headed into the play offs. The way a team bounces back after a loss like this says a lot about them and the staff. The blue collar, hard nosed guys who are positive locker room types really should help here too. 

I'm pretty sure that's against CBA rules... but I sure hope they find some legal way to "punish" the players for that disappointing effort...

I don't know why, but for some reason coaches do not change quarterback during the game, except for injury. No matter how crapola the QB plays, he stays in. (I guess someone can think of the odd exception)

Seems dumb to me, hockey they change goalie, baseball change pitchers frequently, put in designated hitter.... and it used to be done in football, all the time, but no longer.

NFL or CFL it is not done.

Its  herd thinking.

If a quarterback's confidence is so fragile that he can't tolerate being benched for poor performance maybe he shouldn't be playing pro football.

thought the defence was good second half. two field goals was all they allowed. combined with Bombers having no offence, that's good. 

Edited by Mark F

I think, as a coach, you have to let your starter try and work himself out of a funk. Sure, there might come a time where you think he's just not going to do it, and you make the switch, but I think you have to give the guy every opportunity to figure it out on his own.

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think, as a coach, you have to let your starter try and work himself out of a funk. Sure, there might come a time where you think he's just not going to do it, and you make the switch, but I think you have to give the guy every opportunity to figure it out on his own.

I agree with allowing a QB to work his way out of a funk, but that time had come and gone by the beginning of the 4th. A change may have sparked the offense and certainly would have shown the rest of the team that there are consequences for bad play and that means watching from the sidelines.