Silver lining.

wbbfan

8 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I don't know why, but for some reason coaches do not change quarterback during the game, except for injury. No matter how crapola the QB plays, he stays in. (I guess someone can think of the odd exception)

Seems dumb to me, hockey they change goalie, baseball change pitchers frequently, put in designated hitter.... and it used to be done in football, all the time, but no longer.

NFL or CFL it is not done.

Its  herd thinking.

If a quarterback's confidence is so fragile that he can't tolerate being benched for poor performance maybe he shouldn't be playing pro football.

thought the defence was good second half. two field goals was all they allowed. combined with Bombers having no offence, that's good. 

First of all, do you genuinely expect a player who receives a minimal number of practice reps to be able to come in cold and make a difference?  It's a serious question and I'd ask you to think about it. The starter takes almost 100% of the snaps during practice and is *most* familiar with the game plan that week and it's important that they are given a chance to play their way out of a bad spell so outside of injury, there is little reason to pull your established starting quarterback.

Baseball teams are composed of virtually interchangeable parts. Especially pitchers.  Here you have multiple guys capable of starting a game and the *expectation* is that you will be pulled at some point by the guy hired to do just that, the relief pitcher / closer.  Hockey you have a team in front of your goal tender, he's not directing traffic and 'chemistry' with all the moving parts isn't as key.

25 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think, as a coach, you have to let your starter try and work himself out of a funk. Sure, there might come a time where you think he's just not going to do it, and you make the switch, but I think you have to give the guy every opportunity to figure it out on his own.

Absolutely. Our QB situation does not include switching between QBs. So, you play Nichols to get him back on track. Where I don't agree with O'Shea is past the 4 minute mark or so, left in the game, depending on who has the ball. Play your backup - whoever that is. That should not be looked at as anything other than spotting your guy a few snaps, in live action.

It appears we have a HC who doesn't believe in that..and that's too bad.

Edited by Mr Dee

7 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

do you genuinely expect a player who receives a minimal number of practice reps to be able to come in cold and make a difference?  

I've seen quite a few comments here to the effect that Kevin Glenn could run Paul LaPolice offence in his sleep. He's done it many times before, coming in and and jump starting an offence.

Edited by Mark F

24 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think, as a coach, you have to let your starter try and work himself out of a funk. Sure, there might come a time where you think he's just not going to do it, and you make the switch, but I think you have to give the guy every opportunity to figure it out on his own.

I absolutely agree with this, and that's why ( at least at first ) I agreed with keeping him in the game. But as we got into the 3rd quarter and Nicholls was still playing poorly, and LaPo's play calling was awful, I really felt we needed a qb change. He just didn't have it, and that game was too important to let get away.

12 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

he's not the back up.

People here say Glenn is the player that would go in if Nichols comes out, that Davis is listed second to get practise reps.

So I've read on Morningbigblue anyway. I admit, I do not know, but I think I'd rather see Glenn, probably the top relief qb in the last ten years, in a game that mattered, over a guy who has played limted time (if any) in a regular season game in the CFL.

Edited by Mark F

1 minute ago, Mark F said:

People here say he is the player that would go in if Nichols comes out, that Davis is listed second to get practise reps.

Davis has been listed at #2 for quite some time now. He will be getting a portion of the 1st team reps for sure. KG will be running the scout team, and getting virtually nothing with the 1st team.

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

I don't know why, but for some reason coaches do not change quarterback during the game, except for injury. No matter how crapola the QB plays, he stays in. (I guess someone can think of the odd exception)

Seems dumb to me, hockey they change goalie, baseball change pitchers frequently, put in designated hitter.... and it used to be done in football, all the time, but no longer.

NFL or CFL it is not done.

Its  herd thinking.

If a quarterback's confidence is so fragile that he can't tolerate being benched for poor performance maybe he shouldn't be playing pro football.

thought the defence was good second half. two field goals was all they allowed. combined with Bombers having no offence, that's good. 

I don't think this is true in the CFL, I know Wally, Austin,  Jones and Milanovich will do it, Popp did it often and the most recent example is Campbell pulling Harris for Burris.  I think O'Shea is the exception in this case.

27 minutes ago, ddanger said:

Davis has been listed at #2 for quite some time now. He will be getting a portion of the 1st team reps for sure. KG will be running the scout team, and getting virtually nothing with the 1st team.

I'm just saying, that two or three commenters have said that's to get Davis reps, and that Glenn would go in if Nichols was out. Which makes sense to me.  I think Do or Die said Glenn could run the offence in his sleep. DOD knows more than me about the game.

Anyway, I for one would be surprised if they would play Davis over Glenn in a game that mattered.

It just seems dumb to me to never give your #2 QB any snaps. When you do need him he is going to be cold as ice and unfamiliar with real game conditions because coach has kept him stapled to the bench. Shows the man's lack of smarts and coaching savvy. 

1 hour ago, ddanger said:

Some people have complained about Neufeld in this thread. I think he got burned once for a bad sack.....didn't see much of his play was he bad??

I was wondering the same thing.  I was at the game so I didn't have the benefit of HD replays.  Up until the 2 or 3 sacks in the 4th quarter I thought the Oline was solid.  Nichols had time and was barely touched until the 4th. The few times I actually focused on Neufeld he looked fine.  I know that one sack certainly appeared to come from Neufeld's man.  What about the rest?  I was just impressed he didn't hurt himself :D.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

A lot of you are talking like the game was out of reach. That game was winnable till the very end. We were only ever a couple scores down. 

I agree the game was within until Ottawa scored its second two point conversion of the game. In my mind that was down right embarrassing and something that should only happen in video games. I'll acknowledge that they tried for two because their place kicker was injured but the Blue defence was like Swiss cheese and Nicols was having a bad day. the humane thing to do was give him a rest fora few series or let Glenn play the 4th quarter as the game was out of reach by then.

I'll chalk this up to a bad game all teams lay stinkers once in a while. this team has proven resilient and capable of capitalizing on other teams mistakes to win games. They couldn't do it on Saturday but they still have at least 2 more games to prove they can!

6 hours ago, bearpants said:

No, the Edmonton game means nothing... if we win we have 11 wins and Edmonton will have 10 (might as well just give them the W over Toronto now)... last time I checked, 11 is more than 10.... we need BC to lose plus a Bomber win to get 2nd...

However, a Bomber loss clinches second for BC, coupled with a Edm win would knock us to the cross-over... which isn't the worst situation ever but I'd prefer not to enter the playoffs on a 2-game losing streak...

I'm pretty sure that's against CBA rules... but I sure hope they find some legal way to "punish" the players for that disappointing effort...

say what? the CBA has it that all practices are pads off? Im not by any means up on the cba etc but that doesnt sound at all right. Besides the fact it wouldnt be note worthy that we had a pads off practice this week if it was the norm. 

Lots of ways old school coaches used to punish guys. Wind sprints in bad weather, or just wind sprints for a long period of time. Gauntlet runs that never seem to end, returning to 2 a day practices (i suspect that isnt allowed mid season any more) cancelled days off, meetings that peel the paint off the walls etc. 

But to be honest the worst thing they could do to punish guys is make them watch the game a few more times. Dont think punishment is whats needed though. Gotta re sharpen the team, re focus, and re motivate em.

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

Certainly do. Its why nichols and the starters have to start the last game. Cant rest em unless hurt. Its like a preseason game now. Keep the guys sharp and show them they are your guys. Theres a point in the game where you gotta protect him though, especially if hes getting hit like nichols was late in the game.  4th quarter should have been the hook.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

say what? the CBA has it that all practices are pads off? Im not by any means up on the cba etc but that doesnt sound at all right. Besides the fact it wouldnt be note worthy that we had a pads off practice this week if it was the norm. 

There's a maximum of 17 padded practices allowed during the regular season.  Given that we're in week 20, chances are that we've used up those 17 or have maybe 1 left?

https://press.cfl.ca/new-canadian-football-league-player-health-and-safety-measures-for-2016-season

14 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

There's a maximum of 17 padded practices allowed during the regular season.  Given that we're in week 20, chances are that we've used up those 17 or have maybe 1 left?

https://press.cfl.ca/new-canadian-football-league-player-health-and-safety-measures-for-2016-season

Is this football or badminton?

19 hours ago, wbbfan said:

17 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Thanks for the clarification @bigg jay .... I didn't know the exact rules but @wbbfan's original post suggested there would be a week a all-pads practice... which I knew was not allowed...

On 10/31/2016 at 3:57 PM, bigg jay said:

interesting. 1 left 1 week i guess. i would assume no padded practices during the bye weeks makes sense. 

On 11/1/2016 at 9:32 AM, bearpants said:

Thanks for the clarification @bigg jay .... I didn't know the exact rules but @wbbfan's original post suggested there would be a week a all-pads practice... which I knew was not allowed...

actually we do have a no pads left apparently. its not that it isnt allowed its limited, we arent at the limit. 

On 10/31/2016 at 4:12 PM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Is this football or badminton?

lol inorite? I remember back in the day the team struggled bad for a couple games and richie had em out doing 2 days mid season.