In Case You Missed It - Loose End & Pieces

Mr Dee

ICYMI
After week 17

CFL Communications
Last week was the highest scoring single week (65.5 points per game) since 2013, Week #1 (69.3). #CFL

Blue Bombers
The team has released OL John Kling & DB Keith Lewis.

Arash Madani
Don't expect fine for Esks QB Mike Reilly. Section 34.22 of #CFL CBA: A mic shall not be attached to a player uniform unless player consents

TJ Heath
Fun Fact: my first ever interception with Toronto was against B.C.and my first interception being part of the bombers was also against B.C!

?‍?Full credit on the Leggett - BC tackle
Matthew Cauz CFL.ca
But wait! Before we go into Leggett’s heroics, we need to back up one play. Before Maurice can get a chance to be a hero, he needed some help from his teammates on second down. On second-and-two, Anthony Allen slammed up the middle of the Bombers defence and was immediately pushed back. 
Ninth-year pro Keith Shologan, who was the heart and soul of the Ottawa REDBLACKS’ resurgent defence in 2015, was in the middle of this short yardage stop. If you go back and re-watch the play, you’ll also find All-Star Jamaal Westerman somewhere in the mass of bodies doing his best Gandolf ‘You shall not pass!’ impersonation as Allen is rebuffed (quick aside about Keith. I have no idea which defensive lineman currently is the active leader for most consecutive games played, but over the past eight seasons Keith has only missed five games. Think about how tough that is for that position!).

?‍?So, Marquay McDaniel and Devin Smith get tossed from the game -Argos and Stamps, yet  the punch thrower, twice, Joshua Mitchell gets two unnecessary roughing penalties and stays in the game. The on field refs got that one wrong.

RT .@BobIrvingCJOB
$20,000 dollar fine for #Esks not enough. But $15000 for Maas is solid. Utter arrogance in refusing to be miked up. #CFL

?‍?Only 7 total penalties in the Edm.-Mont. game. The real penalties came later...to Edmonton.

David William Taylor TSN 
Interesting Ottawa sports factoid: CFL team has sold-out all 7 home games this season. NHL team couldn't sell-out home opener vs the Leafs!

Blue Bomber Alumni
60 years ago today, RB Bob McNamara scored six TD's to set a @Wpg_BlueBombers & @CFL single-game record that still stands.  #BombersTBT #TBT

CFL News
#CFL Week 16 average TV viewership numbers are up 33% versus Week 16 last year.

CFL News
Sacks Allowed: In 2016, total QB Sacks allowed have averaged 4.52 per game compared to 5.27 in 2015 and to an average of 5.40 over the 2013-2015 seasons. That represents a drop of 16% in Sacks Allowed this season

Kirk Penton
The Lions have been in the West Division since joining the league in 1954, but they have finished second only twice. The last time it happened was in 1986.

A unilateral and planned act of defiance': #CFL drops hammer on Eskimos, Maas cbc.ca/news/canada/ed… #Esks via @cbcsports    
- ?‍?Maas hysteria in the coach's family as the CFL fines him 15k

Scott Billeck
Leone is now 29-for-41 on FGs this year. Most guys would be gone by now with that percentage.

?‍?Inspector Gadget  - fake the plunge up the middle, throw to Denmark....first down

?**Arcenaux 16 yards Burnham 48 yards

BC Lions Den
Make that four turnovers three gifts...just brutal. Nothing to do with a "ball hawking" D. #BCLions

??‍?Oh really? Nothing to do with 'ball hawking" eh? That sounds like "bawl hawking".

Jonathan Bernier
Rainey throws a tantrum when they don't go for it on 3rd and 1 and the #BCLions start taking all kickoffs on the 35. Coincidence? No. Buono.

Milt Stegall
Can the @Wpg_BlueBombers and @BCLions play again next weekend?

Blue Bomber Talk
Yards from scrimmage from starting RBs in WPG/BC 2-game set:
Anthony Allen & Jeremiah Johnson: 81
Andrew Harris: 269
#Bombers #Lions #CFL

John Hodge
 It’s difficult to imagine Loffler not being named the CFL’s Most Outstanding Rookie during Grey Cup week next month, a remarkable feat for a player who slid into the third round of the draft this past May. Loffler, who did not start for the Bombers until week six versus Edmonton, would become just the third Canadian player named the CFL’s Most Outstanding Rookie since 1993. The player who earned the honour that season? Retired linebacker and Blue Bomber head coach Mike O’Shea.

-Credit where credit’s due: the Bombers were stellar against the run versus the Lions in the club’s back-to-back games, holding Anthony Allen and Jeremiah Johnson to 79 yards on 24 carries (3.3 yards per carry). B.C.’s rushing duo has a combined 996 rushing yards this season, averaging a combined 5.5 yards per carry.

??‍?Straight from one of the chain gang guys - on the sidelines. Live- at the game...
BC side- tidbit - Buono swearing and bitching mad at the poor play, especially tackling by the Lions in the first half.
Bomber side tidbit - a teaching moment. Coach O'Shea speaking to Justin Cole on a BC FG attempt. In that situation Cole was bouncing around left to right and back and forth. When returning to the sidelines Coach asked him what was going on and Cole explained to him, he was trying to draw movement from BC and create a penalty. But O'Shea calmly explained to him that in situations like that, there are far more possibilities of us making a mistake with that movement, and creating a first down, and that he should just follow what he was taught. He related this to Cole calmly. Something we never get to see or hear. 
Lots of oohs and awes at the double move Smith made to get so wide open on the Nichols overthrow. Impressive.
Oh, and Loffler's timing was phenomenal throughout the game.

Rob Vanstone
?The Roughriders played Marcel Marceau recordings during practice this week to prepare for the crowd noise.

Herb Zurkowsky
#Als relinquished seven sacks vs. Calgary. Offence had 11 first downs and 121 yards' net offence along with 24:19 time of possession.
?‍?Montreal had 4 sacks on Mitchell

Eric M.
With Moe Leggett out, Taylor Loffler played a ton of Nickel Linebacker against the Lions. Put in a lot of coverage situations, too. #Bombers

??‍?Poor Stampeders - Head coach Dave Dickenson lamented the team’s lack of focus during it’s 22-8 victory of the Montreal Alouettes.

Daniel Austin
Calgary Herald
On playing BLM right through the game..
“I’m playing to win, we might do something later on in the next two games,” Dickenson said. “But listen, you’ve got your jersey and I want Bo to keep getting better and competing and seeing different looks.
“He took some hits but he seems good to go and I’m gonna keep playing him.”
?‍?I can't say I agree with this sentiment. Looks like they just lost Mayo to injury..

FAN POLL - CFL.ca Staff

WHOSE COACHING JOB HAS IMPRESSED YOU MOST IN 2016?

MIKE O'SHEA 56%
DAVE DICKENSON 44%

Controversy of the week....
"After Burris’ pass to Ellingson, that appeared to be fumbled and recovered by Larry Dean, was challenged and the ruling on the field was changed to an incomplete pass, Milo was forced to kick a 35-yard field goal. The REDBLACKS regained the lead (30-28) with just under six minutes left in the contest."
- CFL News
How is this NOT a fumble? Was ruled as incompletion but in end, #CFL admits error. i1.wp.com/3downnation.co… via @CFLonTSN via @3DownNation
?‍?Yep, thought the Ticats got (r)jobbed there.

BCLions
? "Those are critical mistakes that he'll learn from."
@GM_Brillo on the turnovers in last night's loss to the Bombers? ?
#BCLions
?‍?32 in two minutes. That's the number of times Wally Buono ^^ said "you know" in his post game interview. And you know what Wally...I don't know.

Mike Beamish - The Province
Lions are 1-5 this season against Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg — their main rivals in the division. And, in six career starts against the Blue Bombers and Eskimos, Lions quarterback Jonathon Jennings is 0-6.

?‍?what? Willy only sacked twice? Meanwhile the Argos got 5 sacks.
Willy - 47.8 passing %

CFL News
-Milanovich insists it’s not fair to say what the #Argos would be had Ray been able to stay healthy - Zicarelli #CFL
-Everyone #CFL, players and executives alike, are privately mocking the #Argos for acquiring Willy at such a steep price - Zicarelli
-If upper management decides to clean house by firing GM Jim Barker and Milanovich, it won’t be cheap (close to $1M) - Zicarelli #CFL #Argos
-.@sportsnag suggested the #Argos should be in the bidding for the services of Marc Trestman 
-Chris Jones said on @CKRMRiders postgame show that a "large contingent" of #Riders will be back in 2017 - @rodpedersen #CFL
?‍?My question is still - will Darian Durant be one of them? No word yet...

Kirk Penton
I made a mistake earlier, folks. I'm informed Carter's and Stafford's salaries are not guaranteed. #Alouettes #CFL

TSN
The @TorontoArgos quarterback Ricky Ray practices, and could play Friday. MORE: tsn.ca/argos-qb-ray-p…

CFL News
RT .@DC_CHILLIN_8
If I had a nickel for all the times I heard," you always have a home in Montreal" ? #CFL
?‍?If you had Nichols for all the times you heard that, you might still have a home in Montreal.

Davis Sanchez
Body language and effort was inconceivable In do or die game. @TheBEAR45 @kyhebert and others fighting like there lives depended on it . twitter.com/rickmoffat/sta…
?‍?Yeah, it would take Sanchez to appreciate the head-hunting Kyries Hebert was doing on the weekend..

CFL
Willy injured.
Ray back at QB for the @TorontoArgos  at practice ➡ on.cfl.ca/pFRc305guYJ
"I feel like physically, I don't have anything hindering me." -Ricky Ray

Week 18 Bye - The Blue Bombers

Remaining schedule:

Week 18.                                               
Hamilton at Ottawa Frid.
Toronto at Calgary Frid.
Montreal at Saskatchewan Sat.
Edmonton at BC Sat 

Week 19
Edmonton at Hamilton Frid.
Ottawa at Winnipeg Sat.
BC at Saskatchewan Sat.
Calgary at Montreal Sun.

Week 20
Winnipeg at Ottawa Frid
Montreal at Hamilton Sat.
Toronto at Edmonton Sat.
Sask at BC Sat

Edited by Mr Dee

41 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

BC Lions Den
Make that four turnovers three gifts...just brutal. Nothing to do with a "ball hawking" D. #BCLions

??‍?Oh really? Nothing to do with 'ball hawking" eh? That sounds like "bawl hawking".

They have a point. Leggett's first INT was the easiest one he'll ever get. Thrown to a spot by a RB, after the receiver fell. The only Lion in the picture was getting up from the ground. That one's a giveaway more than a takeaway.

The last fumble wasn't caused by the Bombers. It was picked up by the Bombers, but it was Lion on Lion action that caused the fumble.

Not sure about the 3rd one... could have been the Heath INT on the bad throw by Jennings or the Fogg INT on a bad throw by Jennings (Doubt it's this one as the bad throw was caused by Bomber pressure).

They have a point. Leggett's first INT was the easiest one he'll ever get. Thrown to a spot by a RB, after the receiver fell. The only Lion in the picture was getting up from the ground. That one's a giveaway more than a takeaway.

Yeah, it's not like Johnson wasn't being chased or anything..it was a dumb play, but he was 'forced.'

The last fumble wasn't caused by the Bombers. It was picked up by the Bombers, but it was Lion on Lion action that caused the fumble.

Now, here's where it gets tricky. As Jpan mentioned, Shane Gauthier WAS in the picture. He missed the tackle, BUT, he did reach out and grab at Rainey, and made contact,  just enough for Rainey to not be able to turn away from hitting his own guy. Gauthier helped cause that fumble.

So, that takes us down to a maybe by Johnson, and one unidentified. 

That takes it down from 3 GIFTS..to at best... a GIF - and here's one for that:

upvote_christian_bale.gif

8 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

CFL News
#CFL Week 16 average TV viewership numbers are up 33% versus Week 16 last year.

This is kind of surprising, I read an article a few days ago (can't remember where) that stated how the viewer ratings for the NFL are down 20% this season. 

Always a good read DEE, keep up the good work.

7 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I see a lot of excuses and a lot of we should of beat them out of BC. This team gets no respect league wide. 

I'm okay with the Bombers being considered the underdog, extra motivation. I hope we do end up finishing second in the West with B.C. finishing 3rd, that would be a fantastic home game to attend.

14 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

Apparently NFL viewership is down due to protesting Colin Kapernick's anthem stance...

but I am rather surprised CFL ratings were higher this week (as I think overall, our numbers are down too for different reasons)

There is also the conflict with presidential debates. I actually doubt anthem protest would put viewership down. There are plenty who would watch just to shake their fist and yell how their democracy is threatened by peaceful protest. 

My favourite reason for not watching is stupid rules like kickoffs through the endzone  (do they still do that. I haven't watched a game this year, maybe after GC) and fair catches which are really boring in my humble opinion, not to mention no fun league. 

Edited by Fan Boy
forgot an s for shame

On 18/10/2016 at 0:41 PM, Fan Boy said:

There is also the conflict with presidential debates. I actually doubt anthem protest would put viewership down. There are plenty who would watch just to shake their fist and yell how their democracy is threatened by peaceful protest. 

My favourite reason for not watching is stupid rules like kickoffs through the endzone  (do they still do that. I haven't watched a game this year, maybe after GC) and fair catches which are really boring in my humble opinion, not to mention no fun league. 

yeah those rules are annoying. And kill the kick returns, which is one of my favourite parts of football. But other than that, this years games have been extra boring. Monday nights game, was a battle of who sucks the least. It's just not fun to watch.

That was Terrell Owens when he was with the 49ers. Steve Mariucci fined & benched him after his stunt. I think he did it twice that game running to the Star at midfield. To this day, whenever Mariucci talks about that incident on the NFL Network he still gets worked up about it. He said Owens embarrassed himself & the entire 49ers organization. Mariucci apologized publicly to the Cowboys afterward saying that isn't how the Niners play the game. He said he was very angry with Owens & that it changed their relationship negatively & it was never the same up to when he left the team. He said that even today there's still friction between them.

Misc. loose end pieces...

Kirk Penton's 'the Insider:'  CFL coaches and managers give their anonymous thoughts on what they’re talking about behind closed doors:

One of Toronto's problems is we've all figured out match coverage. As coaches, we have to evolve or we lose our edge ... 

We're going to catch B.C. at a good time. Injuries have really hurt Wally's secondary 

I expected a suspension for (Jason) Maas or the loss of a draft pick for the Eskimos after they didn't wear the mics. As for the good of the CFL, that was way worse than what the Riders did with their roster. The CFL depends heavily on TSN and advancing media deals to get a younger audience, and that was just totally ignorant on their part ... 

Get this officiating crap right. If he fixes it and fixes all of these (bleeping) replay delays and mistakes, our commissioner will be a hero ... 

Maybe we should take a chance on Duron Carter. If he gets his head out of his (bleep), Carter can be a difference maker. I might talk to (our GM) about taking the risk. I always like coaching guys with something to prove ... 

When it comes to the Bombers, Lions and Eskimos, the last team I'd want to face in a do or die game is the Eskimos. They have championship DNA and experience. They've found a run game with two different running backs, and (Mike) Reilly is the toughest quarterback in the league. That's scary in a one game takes all. Odell (Willis), (Phillip) Hunt, (Marcus) Howard and (Almondo) Sewell equal problems. Against Winnipeg, if you take care of the football you probably win. Against B.C., that's a tough spot for a first year starter to be in. I'd take my chances ... 

I know the Argos are terrible right now, but I'm not the only one who would like to coach there. They have great ownership, a new stadium, and Jim Barker always gets good players. Their problem isn't players ... 

Good for Jacques (Chapdelaine) if that's what he felt he needed to do. However, we've seen what's happened to Toronto when they let go a less talented trio. There are no real weapons for two young quarterbacks ... 

I think Winnipeg's going to finish second. Their defence is (bleeping) flying around and creating turnovers. (Paul LaPolice) is using (Matt) Nichols the right way. They can run the football good, and they have the best kicker in our league. And now their bye is coming at the perfect time. They can rest and get their bodies better before they play Ottawa back to back ... 

The precedent for (Duron) Carter and (Kenny) Stafford was set with what Toronto did. Plus those two carry huge price tags for the headaches they provide. It was time for Montreal to move on. Carter will get another shot, but that team will need strong coaches and an even stronger locker-room ... 

We get fired as coaches. GMs get fired, too. But what happens with our refs and our head of officiating? Does saying 'Sorry about (bleeping) up again' somehow make it OK? If we coached like command centre reviews (bleep), we would never get another coaching job ... 

My guess is (Duron) Carter ends up in Saskatchewan ... 

I'm not the only coach with a bonus for finishing first or with a bonus for a home playoff game. Most of us have those kinds of bonuses. When replay blew that call in the Ottawa game, I wondered how much money they might have cost (Kent) Austin ... 

I am guessing the Argos and Alouettes will both take hard runs at (Marc) Trestman. If he goes back to Montreal I see Toronto looking at (Jim) Popp as an option ... 

Drew Willy or Ricky Ray? Probably Ricky. Drew is either struggling or just not good. Around QB coaching circles, he's not good enough ... 

Screw long term. After a while, survival teaches us to coach year to year. Even though he's going to be 35 or 36, I would pay (Darian) Durant and try to get another good year out of him. But that's not (Chris) Jones. He has the balls to go with a young guy if Durant's agent asks for too much ... 

If I had to bet on who was going to be GM and head coach in Montreal next year, the answer is easy: Marc Trestman. They'll back up the Brinks truck for him, and it'll be up to Marc at that point.

More loose ends...

CFL.ca News - Staff

2nd Half Standings:
Calgary               7-0
Winnipeg             5-2
Saskatchewan.    4-2
BC.                       3-3
Edmonton.            3-3
Ottawa.                 3-3

Hamilton.              2-4
Montreal.              1-5
Toronto.                1-7

?Opposing teams have been feasting on the Argos all season, opposition players being recognized for their play at the expense of Toronto.
Toronto has the dubious honour of having 8 players being acknowledged for as a Shaw CFL top performer following a game against the Argos.
The roll call began in Week 1 when Simoni Lawrence was honoured after he helped Hamilton to its rout in Toronto’s home opener.
Trevor Harris, Kevin Fogg, Clarence Denmark, Patrick Watkins, Solomon Elimimian, Jamill Smith, and Joe McKnight, all followed.

?1K Club: Last week, Calgary’s Marquay McDaniel (1,074) and Ottawa’s Ernest Jackson (1,024) eclipsed the 1,000-yard mark for the season. McDaniel and Jackson grew the list of receivers with over 1000 yards to nine, joining: Adarius Bowman (1,609), Derel Walker (1,464), Chris Williams (1,246), Emmanuel Arceneaux (1,186), Bryan Burnham (1,151), Naaman Roosevelt (1,095) and Greg Ellingson (1,100).

The next receivers looking to join the club this week include: Andy Fantuz (938), Brad Sinopoli (928) and Nik Lewis (901).

?Ottawa is looking to become only the second team in CFL history to have four receivers with 1,000+ receiving yards in back-to-back seasons. They could also become the first team with the same set of receivers (Chris Williams, Greg Ellingson, Ernest Jackson and Brad Sinopoli) to record 1,000+ yards for the same team in consecutive years.

?Toronto native Jerome Messam still leads the league in rushing yards (1,051) and is the only running back to rush for over 1,000 yards. Messam has added 470 receiving yards on top of his rushing total. Toronto’s Brandon Whitaker is second in the league with 855 rushing yards and Winnipeg’s Andrew Harris is third with 816 yards. However, Whitaker (1,352) and Harris (1,327) as well as Edmonton’s John White (1,105) have 1,000+ yards from scrimmage.

?CFL  - Game Notes

- Winnipeg’s 6-2 road record is their best since 2001 when they ended up 7-2.
- Ottawa is 5-3 on the road and will finish above .500 away two years in a row; the last time they did that was in 1972 & 1973.
- Montreal has lost the TOP battle in 9 of their last 10 games and their 121 net yards last week was their second lowest since 1996.
- If Vernon Adams starts at QB for Montreal, he will be the 9th different QB starter for them in the 64 games since Calvillo’s last start
(Neiswander, Marsh, Smith, Crompton, Brink, Glenn, Cato, Bridge and Adams). Adams would the third debut QB starter in 2016.
- Four of the five West Division clubs will finish with better records than they had last year (2015: 43-47 .478; 2016: 49-30-1 .619).
- Toronto has now gone 252:48 of play without having the lead at any point; they have lost wire-to-wire in the last four games.
- There are two players on pace to reach 200 points, Justin Medlock (208) and Rene Paredes (186). Chris Milo’s pace is for 199.
- Saskatchewan’s 4-game winning streak is their longest since a 7-game winning run in mid-2014- If Ricky Ray starts it will be Toronto’s fifth week-to-week change in starting QB this season.
- Joe McKnight ran for 150 yards in his first career start last week; he reached 100 yards on his 11th carry of the game.
Josh Bartel and the Rider punt cover team forced Toronto to start three drives inside their own 10-yard line last week.

8 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

- If Vernon Adams starts at QB for Montreal, he will be the 9th different QB starter for them in the 64 games since Calvillo’s last start (Neiswander, Marsh, Smith, Crompton, Brink, Glenn, Cato, Bridge and Adams). Adams would the third debut QB starter in 2016.

Aww, shucks... poor guys. No team should have to suffer through a QB carousel like that...

18 hours ago, mbrg said:

Anonymous GM is a great feature, although you can usually get a decent idea who it is in a lot of cases.

Duron Carter in Saskatchewan - makes sense to me.  That's a coach/GM who doesn't seem to give his middle finger much rest.

I hope Carter ends up in Regina. I think I would attend Rider games just to watch the fireworks between him and Jones when the inevitable happens.