Bombers vs Stampeders GDT

Nolby

What I liked and give MOS a lot of credit for is that this team maintained it's composure and mental toughness and came roaring back to scare the living begeebers out of Calgary. Down 24-0 they never gave up. That reflects well on the coaches and players.

Of note is that we didn't have Andrew Harris. He might have made the difference is this one.

Calgary got away with many egregious holds that were inexplicably not called. I mean grab on and tackle holds that were simply allowed to happen.

We put Messam out and limited his effectiveness all game. That had to happen for us to have a chance. Good job.

Calgary, like us, have players that make plays, especially on offense. When McDaniels went down other Calgary receivers found ways to make plays. Paredes kick reminded me of the last second kick that lost us the game against Edm last year. BLM is a **** but he is a damned good QB. Play makers.

Medlock did not have his finest performance. Neither did Adams.

The end result was a narrow Calgary victory. Yes we could have found a way to squeeze it out but Calgary left a lot of points off the scoreboard in that first half. They could have really blasted us. End result, as much as I hate it, was probably just. The better team won.

2 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

After the JFG touchdown., the Bombers should do a formation as if they gonna run a 2-point convert then run the clock down to say 5 sec then call a timeout, then take the 1 point convert instead. Although, I'm not sure of they could do that. 

The clock does not run on converts in the last three minutes of the half.

At the time I was thinking that the bombers would have been better off if your receiver didn't roll over and score the TD as a sneak on the next play would have killed more time. But you have to score when you can. The three man rush was a killer.

i know it was better for the Eskimos if Calgary won but I was hoping to see the Bombers finish the comeback.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Did some digging - No yards does not apply on a dribbled ball. They made the correct call.

https://cfldb.ca/rulebook/kicking/kick-from-scrimmage-and-open-field-kick/

So if that Calgary guy had touched it before Adams it would have been a penalty since he wasn't onside? And the olineman that kicked it gets rushing yardage? I'm guessing this is a leftover from Football's rugby roots. 

Again, if Adams had just fallen on it there would be a much less confused BB&G sitting on his butt in Westman. ?

45 minutes ago, J5V said:

What I liked and give MOS a lot of credit for is that this team maintained it's composure and mental toughness and came roaring back to scare the living begeebers out of Calgary. Down 24-0 they never gave up. That reflects well on the coaches and players.

Of note is that we didn't have Andrew Harris. He might have made the difference is this one.

Calgary got away with many egregious holds that were inexplicably not called. I mean grab on and tackle holds that were simply allowed to happen.

We put Messam out and limited his effectiveness all game. That had to happen for us to have a chance. Good job.

Calgary, like us, have players that make plays, especially on offense. When McDaniels went down other Calgary receivers found ways to make plays. Paredes kick reminded me of the last second kick that lost us the game against Edm last year. BLM is a **** but he is a damned good QB. Play makers.

Medlock did not have his finest performance. Neither did Adams.

The end result was a narrow Calgary victory. Yes we could have found a way to squeeze it out but Calgary left a lot of points off the scoreboard in that first half. They could have really blasted us. End result, as much as I hate it, was probably just. The better team won.

Agreed. Noticed a couple obvious ones not called. 

8 hours ago, Goalie said:

Why did every team pass on him including Calgary Damn near twice 

My son played with him at SFU. He was Durant's qb. He told me that Durant is reserved & shy. He's a nice guy but definitely is a loner. I think he was very guarded in the interviews. And let's face it, some GMs ask the strangest questions in those interviews to throw the players off.

Edited by iso_55

1 hour ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

Agreed. Noticed a couple obvious ones not called. 

The most frustrating thing that I found was that there was an early pretty obvious missed call that I noticed (possibly on a scoring play), and then a few plays later, the Bombers got a questionable holding call against them... definitely questionable compared to the missed Calgary one.  It's really the  inconsistency drives me nuts.

10 hours ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

So if that Calgary guy had touched it before Adams it would have been a penalty since he wasn't onside? And the olineman that kicked it gets rushing yardage? I'm guessing this is a leftover from Football's rugby roots. 

Again, if Adams had just fallen on it there would be a much less confused BB&G sitting on his butt in Westman. ?

Adams touching the ball is what allowed the Calgary player to recover it.

11 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Prevent defenses prevent wins. Johnson couldn't cover all game.

In this case it didn't. You can blame it on whoever, whatever you want.

They needed a field goal. Play the defense you've been playing all second half. Don't give them an inch. If they beat you, they deserve it.

Correct defence for the situation, we just didn't do a good job of forcing Mitchell to throw the ball to where we wanted him to.

We miss Ian Wild, without him we have no presence in the middle of the field. Bass doesn't really do much of anything, might as well be starting Hurl for the ratio.

The D was ineffective getting pressure on Mitchell and when they did bring people the coverage was too loose and he had easy completions. Saw it in the first game in Calgary too, too much space in the middle of the field allowing easy first downs. The only time the D was effective was when they got good and pissed off and started laying the wood on the guys catching the ball. Letting the Stamps easily move into field goal range with 27 seconds left is just unacceptable. 

Shame on the Lapo offense as well taking until half time to adjust to things that would actually work. Flanders and the run game is good but of course they waited until being down by 24 to use it. 

Apparently, we aren't the only team who fail to get pressure on Mitchell. We'll have to figure that out.

We got thrashed in the first half because we gave them instant field position the whole half (whole half?). The worst starting point for Calgary in the half was their own 43 yard line. That makes it much easier for Mitchell, and much tougher on our D. Combine that with a shaky start by our offence and there you have a 24-0 start.

It's amazing we made a game of it after that.

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It didn't matter if they rushed 3-4 or 7 Calgary was matching with extra blockers.  Should have given up on blitzing very early and given BLM less space to fit throws into with coverage.

JBR - did the protection scheme look similar to what Trestman used to run with Calvillo? 

12 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

JBR - did the protection scheme look similar to what Trestman used to run with Calvillo? 

Not really.  Calgary was using extra blockers routinely, Trestman relied more on the 5 linemen and maybe a back, getting the ball out quick.  BLM was taking his time for the most part.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

Easier for BLM... when the middle of the field was always wide open - not sure what we were doing with Loffler, and the coverages there.......

You have to get heat or cover.   We did neither on D, especially that first half.   B. Johnston is still the go-to guy for the opposition.   He does bring some things to the table, but needs to be replaced.

We have a good team, but we will never have a great team - until we figure out how to get out of the gate faster.    We had slow starts against inferior teams, but would be down at the half by a TD or less.   Doesn't work that way with the Stamps.