Incident at Banjo Bowl

Blueballz

31 minutes ago, LimJahey said:

sort of unrelated to the topic but rider fans just need to understand most of us really just don't even want them here at all. i have no friends or family who are melon heads so all i hear is noise and ugly jerseys.

Best way to not have opposing fans in your stadium is to sell it out with your own. In lieu of that they provide much needed revenue to the team by buying the available tickets.   

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If its true, its awful.  But again, there is security and other Bombers staff.  There is a phone number to text for help.  But the instinct was to just call the media after?  Maybe Im jaded because I know a few media whores who would LOVE to be treated this way because it means they can call the local papers.

To be fair, large groups of people often act like idiots in various ways.  It always bugs me when people are swearing like drunken sailors at events with kids.  People think they are in their basement with their buddies.

It's much worse, as this story has now gone National.  If this lady was seeking her 10 minutes of fame she achieved it, at the cost of giving Wpg. a black-eye.  If I didn't know better I'd think that Migs was behind this, right down to the kindly Sask. fans being the heroes.

5 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It's much worse, as this story has now gone National.  If this lady was seeking her 10 minutes of fame she achieved it, at the cost of giving Wpg. a black-eye.  If I didn't know better I'd think that Migs was behind this, right down to the kindly Sask. fans being the heroes.

It was a conspiracy. 

Good grief...the majority of you read an article which is usually not completely factual when written by journalists. Now many of you are jumping to conclusions and even some suggesting the woman made it up or is embellishing.

I watched the woman in a live interview and her son was there. She did not come across as the embellishing type to me. The things she said seemed to be matter of fact the way she related them. She was very grateful to the Bomber organization and so was her son, but they certainly weren't jumping up and down for joy.

I say let's end this ridiculous conjecture here...it accomplishes NOTHING!

the only part of the story I have trouble with is the beer be intentionally dumped on the head of a 9 year old... maybe I have too much faith in humanity... and I think the entire story is terrible and wish none of it had happened...

I feel for that family that they had to go through any form of verbal abuse... it is completely unacceptable...

I've had season tickets for 13 years so I've obviously seen some $h!t go down... but I can't even imagine a situation escalating between 2 adults where beer is dumped on someone... let alone with a child involved...

2 hours ago, LimJahey said:

I meant in our stadium, I want it sold out in Blue and Gold. I don't mind the odd Rider fan on the forum.

I disagree. The Banjo Bowl is my favorite game of the year because of the banter back and forth. My mother is a lifelong Rider fan and it's the only game she attends each year. It's fun. (It's a lot more fun when the Bombers win)

I'll just say this and leave it be. We have all been to games and seen some things that maybe makes us shake our heads a bit and go hmm... morons. Football. Hockey. Baseball. Name it. There's always 1 or 2 or 50 idiots. 

Do I think something happened at this game? Sure. Do I think perhaps the story is a wee bit embellished? Yup. Which part? I don't know but as a person who has a 2 year old... man, if I took her to a game in a few years and someone poured beer on her on purpose and not accidental spillage... people would all know the story was real cuz I'd probably either end up wooping some ass or because that's not right.... I'd at least take my cell phone out and take a pic of the ppl who did it. We live in an Era where everyone has phones and video and all this stuff... not 1 person took a pic or video? It's not like it was dark out either so ppl would have noticed. 

This mom sure loves to get free stuff tho. It's all over her twitter. Man I really hope she's not embellishing here but I get this crazy feeling that she is. 

Edited by Goalie

20 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I'll just say this and leave it be. We have all been to games and seen some things that maybe makes us shake our heads a bit and go hmm... morons. Football. Hockey. Baseball. Name it. There's always 1 or 2 or 50 idiots. 

Do I think something happened at this game? Sure. Do I think perhaps the story is a wee bit embellished? Yup. Which part? I don't know but as a person who has a 2 year old... man, if I took her to a game in a few years and someone poured beer on her on purpose and not accidental spillage... people would all know the story was real cuz I'd probably either end up wooping some ass or because that's not right.... I'd at least take my cell phone out and take a pic of the ppl who did it. We live in an Era where everyone has phones and video and all this stuff... not 1 person took a pic or video? It's not like it was dark out either so ppl would have noticed. 

This mom sure loves to get free stuff tho. It's all over her twitter 

I'd have lost my **** and grabbed the guy and probably done something stupid.  And then I probably would have gotten my own ass kicked since I'm not a big guy.  That's one thing the story kind of glosses over.  Someone spilled beer on your kid and you didn't freak out on the guy?  You're either one laid back lady or you're not telling the whole story.  Like I said, either way, you don't do stuff like that to anyone, kid or otherwise.

I just watched that interview....  everyone of the separate incidents had the fans saying you stink, go back to where you came from, you shouldnt be here? then a... Im not sure if they are considered staff that work the roads for traffic but they are organized in someway... but they tell her to suck a ****??  thats pretty, hard to fully believe.  I think who ever runs that traffic program would be pretty aggressive right now in finding out who and where that took place to repremand that volunteer or staff member..etc and I'm sure they would know who was working during the game

I've been a season ticket holder since '68.  I've attended CFL games in every city in the league, many of which have been Bomber games for which I proudly have sported my colours.  I've been to many non-Bomber games as well.   At various times I've taken my kids, my nieces and/or nephews.

1.  There are great fans across the league that support their teams and who have treated me very well.  Nothing wrong with some playful banter so long as people are good natured.  My kids can take it, and they can dish it out too.

2.  There are a few &$#%^&^ in every city.  Winnipeg is no different.

3.  When my kids were younger, I would discuss how to tell the difference between the playful banter and the real trouble makers.

4.  I would hope that the good fans (from any team) would stand up for any youngster (or other good fan) from any visiting team who was being unjustly abused, especially if it becomes physical (such as dumping beer or worse)

5.  Not that it applies in this case, but there are good visiting fans, and provocative visiting fans.  When visiting another park, be a good fan, and don't bite on the bait.

I recall going to a game in the mid 80's in BC.  I was there with my brother and my father.  I was sitting next to a big guy who had played CIS. He cheered for the Lions, I cheered for the Bombers.  It was a tight game, but we had a great football conversation.   The game changed hands a couple of times, and the Bombers eventually won.   After the winning score, the guy sitting in front of me took a swing at me, completely unprovoked.  Fortunately I saw it and was able to dodged it.  Immediately, the big guy next to me grabbed him, slammed him down in his seat and told him that there would be none of that.   I was grateful because while I was certainly capable of defending myself, doing so would have escalated the situation and other people may have made assumptions.  The big guy stepping in made in clear that it wasn't about fans blindly supporting their team and looking for trouble.

A couple of years ago, my daughter and I got stuck between rival fans who were heading to a soccer game in Europe.   Riot cops on the scene trying to keep the sides separate.   This is not simply a Winnipeg problem.

I just want to put this here for consideration. What are the odds of a mother and a child who's only sin is wearing a green sweater get accosted by four different group of people and get told by all of them:" We're wearing green, you don't belong here, go back where you belong"?

So we spent a small fortune to install like 27 security cameras some 4K to help identify the bad guys and this is the result?

6 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I just watched that interview....  everyone of the separate incidents had the fans saying you stink, go back to where you came from, you shouldnt be here? then a... Im not sure if they are considered staff that work the roads for traffic but they are organized in someway... but they tell her to suck a ****??  thats pretty, hard to fully believe.  I think who ever runs that traffic program would be pretty aggressive right now in finding out who and where that took place to repremand that volunteer or staff member..etc and I'm sure they would know who was working during the game

You beat me to it.

51 minutes ago, Goalie said:

This mom sure loves to get free stuff tho. It's all over her twitter. Man I really hope she's not embellishing here but I get this crazy feeling that she is. 

If she did it after the Bombers had gone out of their way to attempt to make it right than she sure looses some compassion.

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

It goes on because quite frankly there are holes the size of countries in her story. You do know that sometimes people lie right to get attention and free stuff. 

Wow...you're serious? People really do that? Holes the size of countries? That's a good one seeing as you weren't there.

I mean I really want to believe this isnt fabricated, but a sell out crowd, no security anywhere, and no one witnessing this at least just to confirm its legitimacy seems rather suspect. and not just in 1 isolated area or one isolated instance.  

I can believe drunks got out of hand and were assclowns,  but the part that seems the biggest reach for me was the crossing guard people also being rude and vulgar. I dont buy that one at all

1 minute ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I mean I really want to believe this isnt fabricated, but a sell out crowd, no security anywhere, and no one witnessing this at least just to confirm its legitimacy seems rather suspect. and not just in 1 isolated area or one isolated instance.  

I can believe drunks got out of hand and were assclowns,  but the part that seems the biggest reach for me was the crossing guard people also being rude and vulgar. I dont buy that one at all

You said it yourself, you weren't there. We all weren't. Until proven otherwise, I have no reason to believe it didn't happen. All speculation.