Incident at Banjo Bowl

Blueballz

This made me so mad. I've got friends on social media who don't give 2 hoots about football or the Bombers who were all sharing the story today. Even though it's just a few assholes, it looks really bad on Bomber fans and Winnipeg as a whole. Glad the team jumped to do something about it right away, but the whole thing still passes me off.

I love football, and watch a bit of other sports too (less than I used to growing up), but sports fans -- especially drunken ones, and yes, more often (but not always) casual ones -- can be quite obnoxious, douchey, and cruel. They come in all ages and genders, but I inevitably end up sitting next to or in front of some of them nearly every sporting event I go to. It might be less than 1% of the crowd, but I wish it was 0.

Hope this kid ends up getting some fun experiences out of this **** show he was put through. Bullying from other kids at Age 9 is hard enough, but to have to deal with it from a number of so-called adults is despicable.

(And no, I don't think "things don't add up" with this story. Just because it was reported haphazardly with different info coming in, doesn't mean it didn't happen. In fact, that's the news these days. But when I read what happened, it sadly didn't surprise me one bit. It's not just Winnipeg or Bomber "fans", of course -- humans can just be really shitty.) 

"Just before we got to the gates, there's these two girls and guy and they're singing you stink and go back to Riderville, you need to pick a team if you're going to be here!"

well now we know Noeller was at the game.... :)

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Ya... call me skeptical. I believe something happened, but I don't think believe the mob turned on her as described, or that security was nowhere to be found. I believe this story was embellished. Ya, people can be shitty. People tend to exaggerate as well. Whatever the case I hope that her son is not turned off of the bombers, and that they've learned something about dressing for a bomber game.

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

Ya... call me skeptical. I believe something happened, but I don't think believe the mob turned on her as described, or that security was nowhere to be found. I believe this story was embellished. Ya, people can be shitty. People tend to exaggerate as well. Whatever the case I hope that her son is not turned off of the bombers, and that they've learned something about dressing for a bomber game.

I don't give a **** if it was one incident or 13. 1 is too many. And pouring beer on a child is ******* disgusting. It wasn't mobs, it was 3 different incidents that took place in 3 different areas. Not hard to believe really. Have you never been down by the rum hut after a game? I've seen fights that didn't get broken up by security until it had already stopped. I've seen plenty of people out of their mind drunk. Usually nothing happens really. But it's not hard to believe a couple idiots would start some ****.

I've been to plenty of games, including this Banjo Bowl, and yes I've definitely seen some stupidity involving drunks. In fact, I've even seen a kid get beer spilled on him! It was as accidental as it was funny... very. As for the story, there were guys 'getting right in her face' and telling her 'go back where you come from' while her son is crying, then a construction worker refuses to let her cross the road and tells her to 'suck a ****' and trips her with a rope? Then another stranger grabs her child and hugs him for '5 minutes'. All I'm saying is I read the between the lines and something for sure happened to ruin their day. But come on, you said it yourself, usually nothing happens really. Yet on this day, a host of strangers in several separate incidents pick on a lone woman and a little boy? And there was no security? And everyone around them stood on and let it happen. Yes, I guess even I have more faith in our fans and stadium workers than that.

22 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I've been to plenty of games, including this Banjo Bowl, and yes I've definitely seen some stupidity involving drunks. In fact, I've even seen a kid get beer spilled on him! It was as accidental as it was funny... very. As for the story, there were guys 'getting right in her face' and telling her 'go back where you come from' while her son is crying, then a construction worker refuses to let her cross the road and tells her to 'suck a ****' and trips her with a rope? Then another stranger grabs her child and hugs him for '5 minutes'. All I'm saying is I read the between the lines and something for sure happened to ruin their day. But come on, you said it yourself, usually nothing happens really. Yet on this day, a host of strangers in several separate incidents pick on a lone woman and a little boy? And there was no security? And everyone around them stood on and let it happen. Yes, I guess even I have more faith in our fans and stadium workers than that.

The part that gets me is the two girls pouring beer over a little kid's head and the mother proceeds to question them "is it a rider's shirt?" I think this is where anyone would lose their cool and go ape****.  Lose it...giant uppercut...atomic wedgie. Bam. Either way I know drunken, riled up fans can be dicks, but I would hope they would draw the line before assaulting a child.

I' mean come on man. 

Zero witnesses and a completely absurd story. I have a tough time believing it went past anything other than a few drunks yelling at her kid like an idiot. 

I'm trying to envision myself at the game and this is my kid. Ok, the idiot fans are now pouring beer on my kid and verbally assaulting us. Take off the green jacket thats now presumably soaked anyways, right?

No. We are to believe she kept her son in a sopping wet green coloured jacket to continue receiving verbal torment. According to her. I call BS. Occam's razor suggests this is a greedy fan looking for free crap after a couple people yelled at her and her son.

1 minute ago, White Out said:

Zero witnesses and a completely absurd story. I have a tough time believing it went past anything other than a few drunks yelling at her kid like an idiot. 

I'm trying to envision myself at the game and this is my kid. Ok, the idiot fans are now pouring beer on my kid and verbally assaulting us. Take off the green jacket thats now presumably soaked anyways, right?

No. We are to believe she kept her son in a sopping wet green coloured jacket to continue receiving verbal torment. According to her. I call BS. Occam's razor suggests this is a greedy fan looking for free crap after a couple people yelled at her and her son.

When I first read this this morning this is exactly what I though had happened. Because this also happened last year to a kid around the same age. But I wasn't going to jump to conclusions either way. It's either a bunch a drunk dummies that need to be kicked in the face or someone vying for attention and some free stuff as you say. I tend to lean on the second one a bit more because in 11 years of going to games I have only ever seen one incident like this and I have sat in many different sections. But who knows. 

32 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

It's not hard to believe that some idiots would act out. There are loads of ****** bags that go to bomber games. Wearing Green isn't going to get you any favours with said ****** bags.  The first incident was a beer being poured on her child. I can completely understand if they were agitated after that and stood up for themselves when others started yelling etc. I would too. That would likely increase the drunks need to respond. And the strangers came to there aid, and she was confronted again, cause the child to cry. The "strangers' were grandparents, so they comforted a crying child (empathy ya know). 

9 hours ago, Jacquie said:

He was wearing a green sweatshirt over his Bomber shirt.

I'll say this with all due respect to the people posting in this thread ... (and this is not directed at anyone in particular) .. 

Why the **** does it matter what colour sweater the kid was wearing?  Green, Blue, Orange, RED and BLACK .. who cares.  It's despicable that an adult would *EVER* intimidate or assault a child.  Where they are from, who they cheer for, what color jersey / sweater the kid was wearing is totally and completely irrelevant. 

Let me unpack this further, and why I have a very high suspicion of this event:

I have a tough time with the story. Reading it further, it's basically this:

-Mom and son, son dressed in a blue bomber shirt with a green jacket, go to game
-After game 2 drunk women yell at the son, and declare, according to mom 'well he has a green shirt on', after pouring beer on him
-Mother decides to leave son her in sopping wet jacket that is the cause of verbal assault, and proceeds to run through a gauntlet of abuse. all because of the green jacket, now sopping with beer
-She doesn't take the jacket off to keep her son free of abuse and stinky, sticky beer all over it. nope. keeps it on
-A bizarre gauntlet of abuse occurs, where she undergoes more verbal abuse in 30 minutes than i've ever witnessed in going to football games for 30 years. all  in this horrendous trip home from the stadium
-Again, all due to a green jacket she was told at the start was the reason for the abuse. That is sopping wet in sticky, smelly beer. on a child.

It just doesn't pass the smell test.

If its true, its awful.  But again, there is security and other Bombers staff.  There is a phone number to text for help.  But the instinct was to just call the media after?  Maybe Im jaded because I know a few media whores who would LOVE to be treated this way because it means they can call the local papers.

To be fair, large groups of people often act like idiots in various ways.  It always bugs me when people are swearing like drunken sailors at events with kids.  People think they are in their basement with their buddies.

6 minutes ago, White Out said:

Let me unpack this further, and why I have a very high suspicion of this event:

I have a tough time with the story. Reading it further, it's basically this:

-Mom and son, son dressed in a blue bomber shirt with a green jacket, go to game
-After game 2 drunk women yell at the son, and declare, according to mom 'well he has a green shirt on', after pouring beer on him
-Mother decides to leave son her in sopping wet jacket that is the cause of verbal assault, and proceeds to run through a gauntlet of abuse. all because of the green jacket, now sopping with beer
-She doesn't take the jacket off to keep her son free of abuse and stinky, sticky beer all over it. nope. keeps it on
-A bizarre gauntlet of abuse occurs, where she undergoes more verbal abuse in 30 minutes than i've ever witnessed in going to football games for 30 years. all  in this horrendous trip home from the stadium
-Again, all due to a green jacket she was told at the start was the reason for the abuse. That is sopping wet in sticky, smelly beer. on a child.

It just doesn't pass the smell test.

lol I'm guessing you don't have any kids. Let alone a child with a mental illness. Taking a sweater off can set them off and make a bad situation even worse. Not only that, but it wasn't exactly nice out after the game. So keeping the sweater on was probably the better choice as the beer probably soaked through to the the T-shirt.

And who is to say there isn't video evidence of this, which caused the bombers to respond how they have? Having videos of people won't make it any easier to identify them. It's not like they have name tags on. 

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

lol I'm guessing you don't have any kids. Let alone a child with a mental illness. Taking a sweater off can set them off and make a bad situation even worse. Not only that, but it wasn't exactly nice out after the game. So keeping the sweater on was probably the better choice as the beer probably soaked through to the the T-shirt.

And who is to say there isn't video evidence of this, which caused the bombers to respond how they have? Having videos of people won't make it any easier to identify them. It's not like they have name tags on. 

I do have a child. And a very protective Mother as my Wife. I ran this story by her without telling her about my doubts, and, made no attempt to highlight beer was all over the child. She stopped me near the end and asked "why didnt this person take the jacket off? what is her problem?".

And she has no idea about sports and rivalries like I do. Sorry. This story makes zero sense.

I do have a child. And a very protective Mother as my Wife. I ran this story by her without telling her about my doubts, and, made no attempt to highlight beer was all over the child. She stopped me near the end and asked "why didnt this person take the jacket off? what is her problem?".

And she has no idea about sports and rivalries like I do. Sorry. This story makes zero sense.

People shouldn't have to remove clothing to leave a public event safely. Nevermind a child. That makes no sense.

And again, it wasn't a hot summer night. It was windy and cool. Ask her again if she was in a hurry to leave, and her child was soaked and wet if she would take clothing off of them. I know I wouldn't.

And again a child with thay type of mental illness might completely lose it if a sweater etc is taken away, especially during a stressful situation.

Why didn't the kid take off the jacket? BECAUSE THE KID SHOULDN'T HAVE TO. It doesn't matter what colour he was wearing, no kid deserves that.

And maybe it didn't happen exactly as reported and maybe the reports don't all corroborate. There's enough to say at least some approximation of what was reported occurred and that's too much. How you're trying to rationalize against the victim's story is what makes zero sense.

1 minute ago, StevetheClub said:

Why didn't the kid take off the jacket? BECAUSE THE KID SHOULDN'T HAVE TO. It doesn't matter what colour he was wearing, no kid deserves that.

And maybe it didn't happen exactly as reported and maybe the reports don't all corroborate. There's enough to say at least some approximation of what was reported occurred and that's too much. How you're trying to rationalize against the victim's story is what makes zero sense.

According to the Mom, this jacket would have been sopping wet from two people both pouring beer on it. That's why the jacket comes off. It's a beer soaked abuse magnet, according to the Mom. But nope, she's going to drag her 9 year old, in a smelly, beer soaked jacket that's the cause of all this abuse, and just run this gauntlet of abuse. This type of abuse that almost never occurs  in my experience and everyone else here, all in a span of 30 minutes. All these insane incidents of torment and cruelty, and callousness. 

How can people be so naive?

According to the Mom, this jacket would have been sopping wet from two people both pouring beer on it. That's why the jacket comes off. It's a beer soaked abuse magnet, according to the Mom. But nope, she's going to drag her 9 year old, in a smelly, beer soaked jacket that's the cause of all this abuse, and just run this gauntlet of abuse. This type of abuse that almost never occurs  in my experience and everyone else here, all in a span of 30 minutes. All these insane incidents of torment and cruelty, and callousness. 

How can people be so naive?

You're right, it almost never occurs. But this time it did, and that's a problem, a big problem.

I'm not going to sit here and read all of the stories and put together all the details so I can somehow disprove this kid's story, because, well, why would I want to do that?

What appears to be your worst case scenario: a kid and mom make up a story about being harassed to get some Bomber stuff. Honestly, I would rather be wrong in defending them and have this actually be the case then to be so jaded as to assume they're lying because their story isn't air tight. There's nothing naive about that.

Just now, StevetheClub said:

You're right, it almost never occurs. But this time it did, and that's a problem, a big problem.

I'm not going to sit here and read all of the stories and put together all the details so I can somehow disprove this kid's story, because, well, why would I want to do that?

What appears to be your worst case scenario: a kid and mom make up a story about being harassed to get some Bomber stuff. Honestly, I would rather be wrong in defending them and have this actually be the case then to be so jaded as to assume they're lying because their story isn't air tight. There's nothing naive about that.

lol, what? do you imagine me on vacation in Nova Scotia with a blackboard and a bunch of photographs joined by string? I simply put her story, according to her, in point form. No detective work needed... if you read the article, that's the story. Her story is ludicrous and doesn't pass the smell test. In my line of work I've come to have a very healthy skepticism for the incredible. Her story is utter nonsense. By the way i haven't even addressed the mental illness thing yet. You know whats worse for a child with mental illness, than losing their jacket? Having complete strangers yell at them and torment them. 

As I've stated before I have no doubt there was comments. I dont think this was conjured from pure thin air. But people embellish and lie on a daily basis. I don't know how you can think that's special.

Not to pass judgment on this particular "incident" because I didn't witness it, but an acquaintance of mine from my youth who is a little "opportunistic" is well-acquainted with the mother.  I'm loathe to say much more, but I'm a little skeptical around what actually happened and what certain perceptions of what happened were with that background knowledge.

12 minutes ago, White Out said:

lol, what? do you imagine me on vacation in Nova Scotia with a blackboard and a bunch of photographs joined by string? I simply put her story, according to her, in point form. No detective work needed... if you read the article, that's the story. Her story is ludicrous and doesn't pass the smell test. In my line of work I've come to have a very healthy skepticism for the incredible. Her story is utter nonsense. By the way i haven't even addressed the mental illness thing yet. You know whats worse for a child with mental illness, than losing their jacket? Having complete strangers yell at them and torment them. 

As I've stated before I have no doubt there was comments. I dont think this was conjured from pure thin air. But people embellish and lie on a daily basis. I don't know how you can think that's special.

Nope, I that's not how I imagine you and I think "the incredible" and "utter nonsense" is a massive exaggeration.

Skepticism is definitely healthy in a lot of contexts. Here, I just don't get the point.

Of course people embellish and lie of a daily basis, I'd didn't say or imply that I thought otherwise and I don't get your point in saying that. Again, I just don't see the benefit in being so critical of this story.