Odds and Sods - Game 8 - Bombers at Argos

do or die

11 hours ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Him and Goossen. It helps when the guy beside you can be counted on to do his job (Bond). Don't have to over compensate for someone's ineptitude. 

That's a great point that some people don't realize. It happens at all levels of football and sometimes exposes the wrong player.

53 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Who, out of Keeping, Couture, and Neufeld, should be our 6th OL when all those guys are healthy?

I'd guess Couture would be that guy, but O'Shea does love his veteran players...

Neufeld is the perfect 6th Olinemen. Couture is no where ready. He'll be stashed once one of keeping or Neufeld is healthy. 

7 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I think it would be Keeping. Vet leader plus now you have Bond who can swing out to tackle if need be during the game.

My question is, does Keeping play anything but C? 'Cause I'd think the 6th man should be a guy that can play pretty much anywhere, no? 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

My question is, does Keeping play anything but C? 'Cause I'd think the 6th man should be a guy that can play pretty much anywhere, no? 

I'm sure Keeping can play guard and we could move a guard (Bond) out to tackle.  The biggest requirement IMO is the ability to play Centre because if Goossen goes down, I'm not sure any of our current starters have taken many, if any, reps at centre.  So to me, the question is whether Keeping is an upgrade on Couture or not at this point in their respective careers.

I'd also suggest that Neufeld is still our second best option at RT after Hardrick, although I'm interested to see how Foketi progresses.

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

I'm sure Keeping can play guard and we could move a guard (Bond) out to tackle.  The biggest requirement IMO is the ability to play Centre because if Goossen goes down, I'm not sure any of our current starters have taken many, if any, reps at centre.  So to me, the question is whether Keeping is an upgrade on Couture or not at this point in their respective careers.

I'd also suggest that Neufeld is still our second best option at RT after Hardrick, although I'm interested to see how Foketi progresses.

Soooo....how long have you been taking crazy pills?

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 7:00 PM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

No way they release Neufeld as he is still a fairly valuable commodity but he might slip away in the off-season for a draft pick.

I don't consider Neufeld a valuable commodity as he never plays because he is always injured. I associate him with 2 things. One, him being part of the worst OL in the history of the CFL whenever he started since we got him in 2013.  Two, the muggings & injuries that have turned qb Drew Willy into a scared, human punching bag & may have finished his career as a Blue Bomber starter. 

Fine, keep him around for depth this season & hope he never sees the field again & then release him in the off season. He's one player I associate with all the losing the past 3 1/2 seasons & it's why I think going forward not having him on the roster in 2017 will show a big step up in Canadian talent on the Bombers especially on the line. I consider him the biggest disappointment of the Walters regime since he traded for him when he was Interim GM.

Keep in mind we might lose Chungh this off-season.  Our Canadian depth on the OL is still razor thin.  I'd keep Neufeld around at least until after free agency and the draft so we know what we have to work with.  Couture doesn't seem like he'll be ready to start next year and hopefully we don't have a top 3 draft pick...

Neufeld can't stay healthy and his replacement is outplaying him by a large margin. He's a very expensive 6th OL, but I'd still keep him around this year because of his passport. I hope we can find better in the off season and get something in return for Neufeld.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Keep in mind we might lose Chungh this off-season.  Our Canadian depth on the OL is still razor thin.  I'd keep Neufeld around at least until after free agency and the draft so we know what we have to work with.  Couture doesn't seem like he'll be ready to start next year and hopefully we don't have a top 3 draft pick...

As we have seen this season trying to force the ratio on the OL is bad news. I think we have enough depth on the rest of the roster that we should use as many americans as it takes on the OL because we've seen that trying to use inadequate canadians just gets the qbs and the offense as a by product killed.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

As we have seen this season trying to force the ratio on the OL is bad news. I think we have enough depth on the rest of the roster that we should use as many americans as it takes on the OL because we've seen that trying to use inadequate canadians just gets the qbs and the offense as a by product killed.

I think Walters and O'Shea should have seen and accepted this conclusion (as many did) before the regular season started and saved some needless bungling about.  These boys seem to need to drink the entire pale of ink before they can decide what colour it is.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

I have to believe the plan was to acquire as many Nationals as possible, both starters and quality backups/special-teamers coupled with identifying quality OL imports to allow us to mix and match as needed. This plan is now in effect. If they believe it will be harder and harder to draft and get National OL players, then the next best plan is to try and get National starters, either by drafting or FA. The practice of having majority National OL players is fading and we have to adapt to change. It only makes sense.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

I have to believe the plan was to acquire as many Nationals as possible, both starters and quality backups/special-teamers coupled with identifying quality OL imports to allow us to mix and match as needed. This plan is now in effect. If they believe it will be harder and harder to draft and get National OL players, then the next best plan is to try and get National starters, either by drafting or FA. The practice of having majority National OL players is fading and we have to adapt to change. It only makes sense.

With the NFL picking at the bones of CDN talent, I think it's going to be a necessary strategy for all teams to follow.  The delayed return of NFL tryouts is discouraging especially for O-linemen, who seem to be able to ride the PR merry-go-round year after year after year.

6 hours ago, Atomic said:

If that's the only reason to keep Neufeld it's not good enough. The guy can't play as he's always injured. Neufeld is a waste of roster & cap space.