Throw the ball downfield

BigBlue

Well, the blue bomber quarterback ratings are in and Drew Willey didn't win. He was not finding receivers downfield that were open. Our other quarterbacks were. Based on play alone in the two preseason games I would personally rank Willey last in performance. He showed none of the elusiveness of a Henry Burris when the first read wasn't open. He didn't show the quick release of a Kevin Glenn. It was more of the dink and dunk we've seen in the last two years. At least Andrew Harris executes it well.

Based on performance alone I would have to pick Matt Nichols or possibly Brian Bennett as the number one quarterback in the two preseason games. They would at least fire the ball downfield and they were picking out open receivers. If we had to thread the needle, they tried and made some completions. Dominic Davis impressed me more than Drew Willey. There are lots of excuses about why Willey didn't show but the other quarterbacks moved above and beyond those excuses.

My guess is that by mid year Willey will not be our number one quarterback unless something changes in a hurry.

I wonder what Wally Buono wants for Travis Lulay.

14 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

Well, the blue bomber quarterback ratings are in and Drew Willey didn't win. He was not finding receivers downfield that were open. Our other quarterbacks were. Based on play alone in the two preseason games I would personally rank Willey last in performance. He showed none of the elusiveness of a Henry Burris when the first read wasn't open. He didn't show the quick release of a Kevin Glenn. It was more of the dink and dunk we've seen in the last two years. At least Andrew Harris executes it well.

Based on performance alone I would have to pick Matt Nichols or possibly Brian Bennett as the number one quarterback in the two preseason games. They would at least fire the ball downfield and they were picking out open receivers. If we had to thread the needle, they tried and made some completions. Dominic Davis impressed me more than Drew Willey. There are lots of excuses about why Willey didn't show but the other quarterbacks moved above and beyond those excuses.

My guess is that by mid year Willey will not be our number one quarterback unless something changes in a hurry.

I wonder what Wally Buono wants for Travis Lulay.

iWKad22.jpg

What has drew done in his time here? 

I think of drew Willey and think of andrew Ladd.  He was brought here for a reason to give some stability to the bombers but the bombers need to move up a level at the qb position. 

At least Nichols through the ball, on 2nd and long he took a shot 45 yards down field. If it's picked off that's a punt anyway. 

Davis was in and then he was out. 

Bryan Bennett was clearly the #1 in terms of production granted this was preseason. He's dynamic but he is also young. But he might be the future. 

he threw the ball down field to receivers and they made plays. He threw the ball where only our guy could make a play. Defense has to watch him because he can run. 

Andrew harris running style is best in the shot gun. With a qb who can also run.  This sets up the play action pass. The play action sets up the run. And once they think they have that figured out it sets up the screen game. 

Willy can't or won't do this. He's anot American drop back qb. The field is 65 yards wide.  Why not use it. 

20 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

Let me just get this straight.  So you're comparing Willy to two guys who have been starting in the CFL for at least the last 12 years?

3 minutes ago, shankshow said:

Bryan Bennett was clearly the #1 in terms of production granted this was preseason. He's dynamic but he is also young. But he might be the future. 

he threw the ball down field to receivers and they made plays. He threw the ball where only our guy could make a play. Defense has to watch him because he can run.

Bryan Bennett?  You mean the guy that came in against a third string defense?  That Bryan Bennett?  Oh well then, we should start him.

Well, this was a good attempt, but because we already have a poster that wants Willy cut and cut now, this post cannot be nominated for dumbest post of the year.  It can however receive honourable mention in the "let's not really think things through after a loss, panic and post award" for the month of June.

Let's see:  Willy has not played football since last August.  In the first pre-season game, he was very limited in the number of reps he got.  That means that essentially, he was coming in cold for the Ottawa game, working with new receivers in a new system and yet he didn't light it up and look like the second coming of Ricky Ray.  I for one am shocked and dismayed.  Clearly the entire team needs to disband immediately and we must all declare our undying loyalty to the Eskimos.

Seriously, take a chill pill, wait for a few games and then see where we are.

Edited by WBBFanWest

#Bombers' drives with Willy at helm: 3&out (TO on downs), 5 plays (FG fr 46), 2&out, 3 plays (TO on downs), 9 plays (FG fr 46), 4 plays.

52s

Happy feet have still got Willy...  he needs to address that.  does remind me a bit of Buck in that he seems to be having a hard time going thru the reads.

The unde/over thrown balls in practice seem to be an issue in game time as well...

Leaving DL at home might have been a mistake - Bombers made Hank look great and Willy look bad.

Next ten days should be creating chemistry with Harris and Smith... Darvin Adams is not a #1 receiver...

I know what he is trying to say but until we see a couple of actual games where the real offense is implemented. It is impossible to actually put a truthful determination of success or failure on Willy and the offence.  I will say that I have always felt that Willy's deep ball has been the weakest part of his game, but was this due to poor scheme or lack of ability or a mix of both is yet to be truthfully seen. I am looking forward to the next couple real games to find out.

Edited by Engelwood

13 minutes ago, Floyd said:

#Bombers' drives with Willy at helm: 3&out (TO on downs), 5 plays (FG fr 46), 2&out, 3 plays (TO on downs), 9 plays (FG fr 46), 4 plays.

52s

Happy feet have still got Willy...  he needs to address that.  does remind me a bit of Buck in that he seems to be having a hard time going thru the reads.

The unde/over thrown balls in practice seem to be an issue in game time as well...

Leaving DL at home might have been a mistake - Bombers made Hank look great and Willy look bad.

Next ten days should be creating chemistry with Harris and Smith... Darvin Adams is not a #1 receiver...

WE have already seen what Drew  can do in the last two years ..... both good & bad ... he has been way better than what we have had in the last few years but he consistently holds on to the ball too long. That's why he gets killed. It has to change. He needs to get the ball off on the first read or buy enough time for a second or third .... that is what needs to change. Too much dink and dunk just brings the D in closer and gives us even less room to move. As it is we need to move our QB around so he has time for the 2nd or 3rd reads if he neeeds them. Most of all he needs to get the ball off on the initial call even if the receiver isn't wide open. Its all about timing and confidence and thats not there right now.

As to the long layoff excuse .... that doesn't cut it .... the layoff has been just as great or greater for the other QBs

Lapo is a good teacher who can build a QBs confidence and he uses dink and dunk a lot .... but unless that ball regularly goes downfield too, the good Ds are going to have our number.

Its first down that's key this year.  If you don't get 4 to 5 yards, teams are simply going to play cover 9 on you and make you check it down, no matter who plays QB.  I dare to say it was the most played cover last year on 2nd down

I'll admit that the two 3rd and 1s were an eery reminder of Lapo/Barresi...

I still think that if Willy can start using Harris as a quick out/screen then he will get back to his old form.  Saw it once in pre-season... didn't notice it last game.

Its way too soon to pass judgment on Willy but last night was not encouraging. I expected some rustiness but that ought to have gotten noticeably better as time went on, but he looked about the same from beginning to end of his performance. Willy looked about as good as Dominc Davis and Nichols was a bit better than Bennett. Lets face it: Willy is going to start every game he is physically able for at least the next couple of months. That's who has the most favour in the coaches' eyes, and O'Shea has shown himself repeatedly to be resistant to change.