Kyle Walters interview in the WPG. SUN.

On 4/16/2016 at 3:46 PM, Mike said:

That's quite honestly the most unreasonable thing anyone has said on this forum in a long time. It doesn't speak volumes, you're just looking for something that isn't there and stomping your feet about it.

Nonsense. The elephant in any room that KW is in, is the Oline. In 3 years he has done next to nothing to fix it (Picard, Keeping...) whilst his franchise player takes a well-documented beating. I know it and KW knows it. To deny it is what's unreasonable.

On 4/16/2016 at 3:47 PM, comedygeek said:

You act like Kyle Walters hasn't talked about the need to continue to improve the Oline this offseason. He has. Just because in one interview he didn't answer a question about Drew Willy with a detour into where he thinks the Oline has improved, doesn't mean he isn't thinking about it and doesn't even mean he hasn't talked about it. He has. It's clearly a concern.

Iso made a really good point about scouting and I feel for KW because I think the scouting department has let him down. Other teams seem to do much better when it comes to finding good players. I fear that KW is one atrocious sack away from being fired if he doesn't do more to improve that Oline. 

The problem with Chungh is I believe he has NFL aspirations or may want to play elsewhere in the CFL. Ever since we drafted him I have heard stories we'll lose the guy after this season. Any thoughts?

It is so incredibly hard to build an OL with 4 Canadian starters. I think the way to go is find 3 quality American offensive linemen & start 2 Canadians. keep drafting the Canadian OL but let them develop on the PR & when they're ready to play you bring them in as starters. I think more & more CFL teams will go this route. But scouting? That topic has been discussed here & they have to bring in better players.

Edited by iso_55

2 hours ago, J5V said:

Nonsense. The elephant in any room that KW is in, is the Oline. In 3 years he has done next to nothing to fix it (Picard, Keeping...) whilst his franchise player takes a well-documented beating. I know it and KW knows it. To deny it is what's unreasonable.

... you're trying to turn "he didn't bring it up in the answer to an entirely unrelated question" into "he denied it"

That's what makes it so ridiculous.

I disagree with the thought that he's done nothing to fix the oline. That's bs also imo. He's drafted Goossen. He drafted Chungh. He signed Bryant as a free agent. Bring up Keeping but he's a pretty solid guy to have... he doesn't suck and he brings leadership. Say what you want but he traded for Neufeld. 

So to say he's done nothing is BS. What more could he do really? Not many legit all stars oline make it to free agency. A couple did and he signed one (Bryant)

Picard? 1 year stop gap until goose was ready... goose looked good the last few games. Picard released. 

Takes drafting to build your oline and he's drafted 2 of our starters. Signed 1 via free agency and traded for one. 4 of our 6 starters maybe all 5 depending on the tackle spot.... he brought in. 6 of 6 If you count keeping. 

Oline is a issue but to say he's done nothing.... that's BS 

Edited by Goalie

12 hours ago, Mike said:

... you're trying to turn "he didn't bring it up in the answer to an entirely unrelated question" into "he denied it"

That's what makes it so ridiculous.

Try reading what I said. 

12 hours ago, Goalie said:

I disagree with the thought that he's done nothing to fix the oline. That's bs also imo. He's drafted Goossen. He drafted Chungh. He signed Bryant as a free agent. Bring up Keeping but he's a pretty solid guy to have... he doesn't suck and he brings leadership. Say what you want but he traded for Neufeld. 

So to say he's done nothing is BS. What more could he do really? Not many legit all stars oline make it to free agency. A couple did and he signed one (Bryant)

Picard? 1 year stop gap until goose was ready... goose looked good the last few games. Picard released. 

Takes drafting to build your oline and he's drafted 2 of our starters. Signed 1 via free agency and traded for one. 4 of our 6 starters maybe all 5 depending on the tackle spot.... he brought in. 6 of 6 If you count keeping. 

Oline is a issue but to say he's done nothing.... that's BS 

What's BS is to deny that during KW's tenure the Bomber Oline has sucked. Can't protect the QB and can't open holes for the running backs. I never said he's done nothing but Bryant wasn't good last year. Picard was a disaster. Chungh whiffed on blocks and Goosen isn't there yet either.

12 hours ago, iso_55 said:

I agree that Walters has tried to build an OL but like I said doing it with just Canadians is a long & trying process as we've found out. I hope that somehow we can hang on to Chungh & re-sign him after this season. He would be the guy you'd build a line around long term.

Here's how good Kirk Penton thinks the Oline is that Walters has built ...

"The pricey off-season additions of left tackle Stanley Bryant and centre Dominic Picard didn't get the intended outcome, which was a playoff spot. Willy got hurt taking hits twice before his season-ender, and the Bombers still haven't found a right tackle.

Paddy Neufeld had a solid season at three positions, and Sukh Chungh had a decent rookie campaign at right guard. There didn't appear to be much difference with Matthias Goossen at centre when Picard got hurt.

Winnipeg gave up 12 fewer sacks than the franchise worst 71 it surrendered in 2014, but 59 is still way too many. Plus, the second worst rushing average per carry indicates there is still a ton of work to do at this position in the off-season."

15 hours ago, Jacquie said:

Chungh started all of last season and Goossen started at the end of the season - the future is now. 

Awesome, so we're all set then. Let's see how this works out.

2 hours ago, J5V said:

Here's how good Kirk Penton thinks the Oline is that Walters has built ...

"The pricey off-season additions of left tackle Stanley Bryant and centre Dominic Picard didn't get the intended outcome, which was a playoff spot. Willy got hurt taking hits twice before his season-ender, and the Bombers still haven't found a right tackle.

Paddy Neufeld had a solid season at three positions, and Sukh Chungh had a decent rookie campaign at right guard. There didn't appear to be much difference with Matthias Goossen at centre when Picard got hurt.

Winnipeg gave up 12 fewer sacks than the franchise worst 71 it surrendered in 2014, but 59 is still way too many. Plus, the second worst rushing average per carry indicates there is still a ton of work to do at this position in the off-season."

No offense, because while Kirk Penton is a solid reporter, his ability to judge the performance of an OL is about as good as mine or yours. Which is to say, not very good.

18 hours ago, J5V said:

2 hours ago, J5V said:

What's BS is to deny that during KW's tenure the Bomber Oline has sucked. Can't protect the QB and can't open holes for the running backs. I never said he's done nothing but Bryant wasn't good last year. Picard was a disaster. Chungh whiffed on blocks and Goosen isn't there yet either.

hmmmm...

On 4/19/2016 at 3:08 PM, Goalie said:

...  also signed three legit ratio changers as free agents in the past two years, guys who will give us a lot more flexibility to start internationals on the OL. 

Edited by johnzo

11 hours ago, J5V said:

There didn't appear to be much difference with Matthias Goossen at centre when Picard got hurt.

Not qualified to judge how the two of them compare as blockers or line captains but we sure lost a ton of hang time on the shotgun snaps when we went with Goossen...

Total fluff piece and the KW fans are all over it. 

Walters/Chevy comparison is a joke. NHL and CFL are very different beasts. It can take years to build a strong team in the NHL. In the CFL it should take no more than two years to turn it around. Staying good takes years though. 

KW hasn't done anymore or less than anyone else since 2009 for the OL. He has signed a few decent players lost a starter or two and the net sum is the line is still the worst in the league.

KW also fails to notice that the nastiest coaches have won the majority of the games in the last few years. Not many of them throw specific players under the bus but they do hold general areas publicly accountable. We have had nothing but nice, professional coaches since 2010 and exactly one playoff appearance in that time.

While KW is building a block at time the rest of the league has already finished their block towers and and moved on to bigger and better times. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Oh, is it time for your biweekly drive by already?

It wouldn't matter if I posted every day or once a year. Unless one doesn't  say that KW and the other two stooges are the greatest you are going to pull your bullying tactics. 

KW talks a good game. Talk is cheap though.