Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

17 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

How can the greatest fans, the backbone of the CFL not support their team to the degree that its 4.3 million in the hole? Next you'll tell me that the Earth is round not flat, that the Sun in the center of the universe not the Earth and that Truman beat Dewey.

well to be fair the sun isn't the centre of the universe. ;)

23 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

I was reading most of the losses were from deffered payments from the expansion they did for the Grey Cup. Without that the loss was around $850,000. Still a hefty loss.

The opposite. The Riders would have made 850k without the almost 5.2 million dollar payment to the heritage fund. Sounds like we owe another 5.1'ish million against this to pay for the 15 million in renovations for the 2013 grey cup. Merch was down. but not because we were losing, but fans sending message to fire Taman IMHO.

3 minutes ago, Ripper said:

The opposite. The Riders would have made 850k without the almost 5.2 million dollar payment to the heritage fund. Sounds like we owe another 5.1'ish million against this to pay for the 15 million in renovations for the 2013 grey cup. Merch was down. but not because we were losing, but fans sending message to fire Taman IMHO.

I'd be skeptical that the average fan cares too much about who the GM is. Every fan cares about winning/losing, the minority, such as the types who go on forums, care about other the behind the scenes stuff.  If merch is down significantly, I'd be surprised if that many people didn't buy merch because of who the GM is.

25 minutes ago, brett_c_b said:

I'd be skeptical that the average fan cares too much about who the GM is. Every fan cares about winning/losing, the minority, such as the types who go on forums, care about other the behind the scenes stuff.  If merch is down significantly, I'd be surprised if that many people didn't buy merch because of who the GM is.

You beat me to it -- 90% of Sask "fans" don't have a hot clue who anyone in management is. They see the team lose and go "FIRE EVERYONE!!!" and that's about it. Again, it's *mostly* passive fans over there...

2 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

The Riders were a whopping 11 games over .500 in that "decade."  I would hardly call that dominance...but I guess for the Riders it would be given their history.

Truly the CFL version of "Dem Bums".

An interesting note from Rod's Blog, I wouldn't dare submit anyone to the whole thing.

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showthread.php?134584-2016-Training-Camp/page56

3 – What are the big stories which have emerged through training camp? Well the biggest one is likely the fact around a dozen players have been switched over to the other side of the ball for the first time in their careers. That includes veteran long-snapper and defensive end Levi Steinhauer who’s been moved to fullback. The move may be permanent, as the Moose Jaw product has switched his jersey number from 51 to 13.

Bodes well. 

And of course this...

That, friends, is when Canada’s Team will truly begin coming together for this monumental season.

RP

I don't often visit that Rider forum unless there's an implosion worth my amusement. But when I went to go read "Rod's Blog" (*vomit*) I read this wonderfully obtuse statement from a poster:

Reaves is an absolute stud. I can't see him gong anywhere - he is not a long shot. I think he can make the 53. But should be buried on a list somewhere. And that is assuming he is not on the game day roster. I am shocked Winnipeg did not invite him this year or keep him around. Tells me a little what is going on there.

They think he's easily capable of playing 5 or 6 positions! How could we let him go?? A guy who picked up football a year ago and hasn't lasted a training camp!!!!!!1!

(It tells me what's going on in Riderville, that they think swapping a dozen guys to different sides of the field will lead to success!)