Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎11 at 7:37 PM, IC Khari said:

Why are all those Winnipeg women dressed in Argo gear?

I heard that the Riders had a similar type of photo to promote a tailgate. Unfortunately, they decided to pull the pin on it after PETA, Greenpeace, and a bunch of other animal rights felt it was inhumane to make sheep wear green jerseys, mini skirts, and lipstick, while holding up a bottle of Pilsner seductively.

Would have drove the Rider fans crazy tho....pinned up in every barn from Moosomin to Melville.

17 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:
Rob Vanstone ✔ @robvanstone

Riders cuts: RECs Marquez Clark, S.J. Haidara and Devrin Young, OL Will Corbin, RB Johnta Hebert, DBs Caesar Rayford and Dan West LB Rollins Stallworth and DL Ino Vitale.

After the crap show that was their first exhibition game I might have cut down to 44 and just started over in the recruitment area if I were the Riders. Watching the Riders and Lions the other night gave me real hope about a playoff spot this year. That was some crappy football by a couple of pretty crappy teams.

45 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

After the crap show that was their first exhibition game I might have cut down to 44 and just started over in the recruitment area if I were the Riders. Watching the Riders and Lions the other night gave me real hope about a playoff spot this year. That was some crappy football by a couple of pretty crappy teams.

if the Bombers are going to get into the playoffs, this looks like the year it could happen.  Hope hope hope...

12 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Agreed, but with all things being equal I think we have more depth than both of them. Especially the riders, who are razor thin at QB and with Canadians, much like us last year. 

Don't kid yourself for a second, if Willy goes down you are in trouble. Nichols isn't going to lead you into a playoff spot. BC has good qb depth and a defence as good as yours or better. As far as Riders go, Durant is better than Willy and our defence is better than yours. It will be a dogfight for sure. But hey, keep writing us off, I like the underdog role.

Just now, iso_55 said:

Sure, they give Banks a new contract & he says he doesn't hold out? Right.....

It's pretty obvious what has happened although for the sake of his privacy, I'm sure they'll never talk about it.

They restructured his deal to give him upfront money so he could address the legal issues he's having at home with his family. It was never a holdout.

5 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Don't kid yourself for a second, if Willy goes down you are in trouble. Nichols isn't going to lead you into a playoff spot. BC has good qb depth and a defence as good as yours or better. As far as Riders go, Durant is better than Willy and our defence is better than yours. It will be a dogfight for sure. But hey, keep writing us off, I like the underdog role.

How do you know your defence is better?  A lot of new faces and it may take time for the personnel to gel (true for both Sask & Winnipeg).

10 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Your defense is better than ours based on what, exactly?

I mean, I trust Chris Jones as a football guy as much as you do, but right now, going off what the common fan has for knowledge, it's pretty much impossible to say you look better than us on paper.

Our DL is better although it's probably a lot closer than most Bomber fans think ... I may even give you the edge but I don't like your interior as much, our LB are basically even on paper although it's tough to not give the Bombers the edge given that our guys are going into their second year as a unit and yours have never played together and your secondary is an absolute mess until proven otherwise. I think the process will eventually show to have been worth it, but right now your secondary looks absolutely atrocious - you have a guy playing corner with your first team defense that was a receiver until training camp. Give me a break.

10 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Please elaborate by position group how a mostly new Sask. D is superior to the Bombers D with their recent upgrades.

43 minutes ago, Ripper said:

1639a02c1aa3923bfb16bbe3131672e530ba766d

Edited by IC Khari

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

Do you have anything to base those defensive claims on other than expecting Jones to have a good defense? Because quite frankly your defense is nothing to write home about at this point and the Bombers have at least attempted to address the major problem they had on defense last season which was the defensive line. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Your defense is better than ours based on what, exactly?

I mean, I trust Chris Jones as a football guy as much as you do, but right now, going off what the common fan has for knowledge, it's pretty much impossible to say you look better than us on paper.

Our DL is better although it's probably a lot closer than most Bomber fans think ... I may even give you the edge but I don't like your interior as much, our LB are basically even on paper although it's tough to not give the Bombers the edge given that our guys are going into their second year as a unit and yours have never played together and your secondary is an absolute mess until proven otherwise. I think the process will eventually show to have been worth it, but right now your secondary looks absolutely atrocious - you have a guy playing corner with your first team defense that was a receiver until training camp. Give me a break.

Our secondary is atrocious?  That is the where the pendulum swings in our favor Mike. Might want to have a little closer look at your secondary Mike. Kevin Glenn had zero problem moving the ball last week. And your defense was second worse last year, better only than ours which was bad. I'll be watching your secondary tonight to see how they look against better qb's . Bombers were also not good against the run last year so not sure what you are watching in your linebackers either. None of our Linebackers are rookies, assuming Knox gets back in there. Our atrocious secondary and defense gave up 11 first downs against a lot better offense than you faced when u gave up almost 300 yards of offense and 23 first downs. I'm not here to bash the Bombers, but I am realistic and can see what I see. You guys didn't score much against montreal's starters either and then later looked better against the backups. Tonight is a far more realistic look at your team, Burris and co. will push your secondary a lot more and for a lot longer than last week. Montreal called off the dogs early because they had 6 qb's dressed.

1 minute ago, Ripper said:

Our secondary is atrocious?  That is the where the pendulum swings in our favor Mike. Might want to have a little closer look at your secondary Mike. Kevin Glenn had zero problem moving the ball last week. And your defense was second worse last year, better only than ours which was bad. I'll be watching your secondary tonight to see how they look against better qb's . Bombers were also not good against the run last year so not sure what you are watching in your linebackers either. None of our Linebackers are rookies, assuming Knox gets back in there. Our atrocious secondary and defense gave up 11 first downs against a lot better offense than you faced when u gave up almost 300 yards of offense and 23 first downs. I'm not here to bash the Bombers, but I am realistic and can see what I see. You guys didn't score much against montreal's starters either and then later looked better against the backups. Tonight is a far more realistic look at your team, Burris and co. will push your secondary a lot more and for a lot longer than last week. Montreal called off the dogs early because they had 6 qb's dressed.

You can see what you see all you want - you're going to talk performance in a pre-season game where we sat our best defensive corner and put our other one on the bench for about 95% of the defensive snaps? Go for it.

Our secondary this preseason is not at all indicative of what you're going to see this season and neither is yours. You have a young, raw defense that is going to go through growing pains. Even your experienced players aren't experienced with eachother. That is going to be a problem for you guys early on.

The things you're saying make me wonder if you even watched the game. Montreal "called the dogs off early"? We sat Willy before they sat Glenn down.

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Do you have anything to base those defensive claims on other than expecting Jones to have a good defense? Because quite frankly your defense is nothing to write home about at this point and the Bombers have at least attempted to address the major problem they had on defense last season which was the defensive line. 

We haven't addressed our dline?  Capicotti, Lemon, Norwood, Newsome. Partly yes in regards to Jones, we made a change to coach to have better results and based on some history, better results are expected.

2 minutes ago, Ripper said:

We haven't addressed our dline?  Capicotti, Lemon, Norwood, Newsome. Partly yes in regards to Jones, we made a change to coach to have better results and based on some history, better results are expected.

That's not what he said. He said our problem last year was our DL couldn't do a damn thing to create pressure, which was largely why we struggled so much. Gave the QB way too much time to throw. We fixed that this year.