Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

Just now, Mike said:

That's not what he said. He said our problem last year was our DL couldn't do a damn thing to create pressure, which was largely why we struggled so much. Gave the QB way too much time to throw. We fixed that this year.

Same coach. Nothing is fixed. I am however a big fan of Westerman's talent, he is a great player. I have zero doubt by season end however that the Riders will have more sacks than the Bombers. Ritchies Hall defense doesn't work without a big pass rush up front as evidenced by last year for you guys. Shologan will help but I still see our front 7 stronger than yours and the stats this year will show that.  

Just now, Ripper said:

Same coach. Nothing is fixed. I am however a big fan of Westerman's talent, he is a great player. I have zero doubt by season end however that the Riders will have more sacks than the Bombers. Ritchies Hall defense doesn't work without a big pass rush up front as evidenced by last year for you guys. Shologan will help but I still see our front 7 stronger than yours and the stats this year will show that.  

Guaranteed you are wrong.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Guaranteed you are wrong.

I could be totally wrong Mike, I might be totally out to lunch.  That's the great thing about sports and sports rivalries, its fun to speculate about how the season will go.  I see our defense middle of the pack or better this year.

23 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Our secondary is atrocious?  That is the where the pendulum swings in our favor Mike. Might want to have a little closer look at your secondary Mike. Kevin Glenn had zero problem moving the ball last week. And your defense was second worse last year, better only than ours which was bad. I'll be watching your secondary tonight to see how they look against better qb's . Bombers were also not good against the run last year so not sure what you are watching in your linebackers either. None of our Linebackers are rookies, assuming Knox gets back in there. Our atrocious secondary and defense gave up 11 first downs against a lot better offense than you faced when u gave up almost 300 yards of offense and 23 first downs. I'm not here to bash the Bombers, but I am realistic and can see what I see. You guys didn't score much against montreal's starters either and then later looked better against the backups. Tonight is a far more realistic look at your team, Burris and co. will push your secondary a lot more and for a lot longer than last week. Montreal called off the dogs early because they had 6 qb's dressed.

Weak.  Can you even name any of the Bomber defenders without looking at the roster?

6 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I could be totally wrong Mike, I might be totally out to lunch.  That's the great thing about sports and sports rivalries, its fun to speculate about how the season will go.  I see our defense middle of the pack or better this year.

You can talk about the great Chris Jones all you want, his defense last year had 3 more sacks than Winnipeg and we produced a grand total of 3 sacks from the end position opposite of Westerman. For all the disguised blitzing and different looks a Chris Jones defense gives, his elite linebackers in Edmonton put together 5 less sacks than our "awful" ones here in Winnipeg.

We've since added the #1 and #2 ranked DTs in quarterback sacks last year.

Getting to the QB shouldn't be a problem for us.

Riderfans know their team is going to suck this year, it's ovious to everyone but them it's a giant rebuild, they just don't want to admit it. Durant is their only hope of any semblance of compete this season and as I mentioned in another thread, without a good supporting cast around him and considering the style he plays, and what his most recent injury will actually do to that style, that's iffy. They are building for the future with Jones but that future is a few years from now, and where will they be at QB by then?

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

Same coach, lots of different players. I mean didn't we replace 3 of the 4 guys on the DL and only Westerman is the same? And dude, if you want to read into coverage in preseason you go right ahead, there is a lot of vanilla from everything in the preseason and the Bombers just sat in soft zones all night long so naturally Glenn got some completions, that's his thing. 

27 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

Riderfans know their team is going to suck this year, it's ovious to everyone but them it's a giant rebuild, they just don't want to admit it. Durant is their only hope of any semblance of compete this season and as I mentioned in another thread, without a good supporting cast around him and considering the style he plays, and what his most recent injury will actually do to that style, that's iffy. They are building for the future with Jones but that future is a few years from now, and where will they be at QB by then?

Nobody comes back from an achilles tendon rupture at 100%. Nobody. It is a devastating injury, especially for a QB who's prime assets are his legs. Let's not forget he blew out the tendon in his throwing arm. Also not good for a QB.

16 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I honestly don't see it in the Riders secondary. Especially one using Graig Newman and Jordan Reaves.

Don't forget Jones did manage to have a championship defense with Cauchy Muamba at safety last year... he has the ability to effectively hide someone at safety...  

Ticats lose a couple DB's (Demond Washington is one of them).

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/6723011-ticats-rip-open-at-the-corners/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The first-year Ticats went down a few days apart, Minnifield with a suspected torn Achilles in the exhibition loss to Toronto, then Washington hurt his knee on an innocent-looking play during Monday's practice. Both are expected to be out long term.

Edited by bigg jay

23 hours ago, bearpants said:

Don't forget Jones did manage to have a championship defense with Cauchy Muamba at safety last year... he has the ability to effectively hide someone at safety...  

for that reason alone he deserved the Cup, playing 11 on D all year long.  Cauchy Muamba couldn't tackle a dandelion when he was here, yet he somehow now has two Cup rings.  Where is the karma in that?

Edited by kelownabomberfan

I am normally pretty sympathetic to CFL players and even coaches and GMs, but I'm afraid I will take delight in watching Chris Jones implode and get pilloried by the Roughies' fans. His arrogance and abrasiveness ought to alienate the team supporters in no time- even faster than Mike Kelly.

11 hours ago, tracker said:

I am normally pretty sympathetic to CFL players and even coaches and GMs, but I'm afraid I will take delight in watching Chris Jones implode and get pilloried by the Roughies' fans. His arrogance and abrasiveness ought to alienate the team supporters in no time- even faster than Mike Kelly.

Winning solves all... if they perform well on the field, all will be forgiven... Just like if Kelly had won his last game here and made the playoffs, things certainly would have gone down differently... but yes, completely agree with you...