Bellefeuille OUT.....

trueBlue83

It doesn't matter who they bring in as next OC - they are doomed to fail.

When you look at the chain of command: Miller, Walters O'Shea - their CFL experience is all ST and D - not an offensive mind among them.

Is it any wonder Bombers have seen the worst offensive production in the league since this regime took over?

Sure, OK, we've got Danny McManus in the group, and it was on his advice Bombers acquired Brian Brohm from Hamilton.

Now I happen to think Brian Brohm isn't nearly as bad as everybody says, but regardless we need to use this opportunity to find absolutely the right person in this critical OC job. Especially since whoever comes in here has got no real offensive expertise/coaching back-up since the rest of the senior coaching/management draws their experience from ST and D.

What really has me really worried is O'Shea's flat out declaration today that 'we feel we have a franchise QB' in Drew Willy.

That means he's already locking the next OC into using an immobile, slow-read, slow release, drop-back packet passer on one leg.

That tells me MOS still knows nothing about what really works or doesn't in a CFL offence and he hasn't learned anything either.

Sorry, but this is a recipe for more futility and failure in 2016.

So you've forgotten how good Willy has been for us? And forgotten that Bellefeuille made Calvillo look like a slow release slow read drop back pocket passer too? Drew Willy absolutely can be the franchise guy for this team. 

Willy has shown incredible toughness at times. But I can think of only one or two games when I thought 'Wow - Drew Willy played great and won that game for us." Mostly he's been unable to muster the O when it counts. His lack of success can't be pinned entirely on Bellefeuille though. While it is time for the Bombers to part ways with Marcel, they should have done so last year. Going forward, I worry about cap space and the QB position and whether we can recruit real competition for the #1 QB job when we are committed to paying Willy $400k. It seems ridiculous that MOS would hamstring the incoming OC by declaring Willy the starter since we don't even know if he'll pass the physical come TC 2016.

And there's the problem right there. There's been more games than that Drew Willy has played great. Sometimes he was let down by other aspects and lost, some times he's won and yes there have been games he's been bad, mostly games where the defense game planned to stop the offence because it was too predictable. Drew Willy is a ******* good qb though. He's accurate, he's smart, he's a leader and the team responds to him. I have 100% faith in hitching the wagon to Willy as the starter. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. 

I don't think there is doubt in anybody's mind, including our next OC, that Willy is our starting QB. (well, maybe in your mind)

I would hope the next OC isn't as closed minded about the QB position as you are. I'll give Drew Willy credit for his unbelievable toughness. But he hasn't played enough to prove he is worth $400k. Which is a problem for Winnipeg going forward. It means they have to allow a big percentage of the cap for QB if they want any real competition at the QB position. For example, let's say Harris or Ray is available. One of those guys could easily come in and beat Willy for the job. But they won't be cheap. (Assuming Wpg wants another pocket passer). 

How do we know they could? Did Harris do anything Willy isn't capable of? Has Ray been healthy enough to give out the big contract to? You are severely under rating Drew Willy here and I don't understand why. Watch the guy play and you see a guy in total control. He makes good decisions he can make all the throws you need. Give him an offense that doesn't handicap a qb and watch him put up some damned good numbers. You are falling into the grass is greener trap bigtime here. 

OK Ricky Ray we know and we know he's near the end of his career. Would rather see him come here as a coach than QB. But did Willy do anything Harris isn't capable of? Harris did throw for 33 TDs this year with a 100.7 QB rating in a very mediocre offence. Meantime Bombers have been starved for exceptional QB play for so long that even so-so looks amazing, it seems. I hope you're right and a healthy Drew Willy never gets hurt again and plays lights out under a new system. I really wish it could happen. But I don't think it will because I don't think he's as good as some folks seem to think. Many Bomber wins where Willy was QB came on the strength of sold ST and defensive play - offensive production was still putrid. But now that MOS has basically told the next OC like it or not here's your starter, I guess we are all going to get a chance to see what unfolds. Bass-akwards management tough, hamstringing the next OC.

I don't think there is doubt in anybody's mind, including our next OC, that Willy is our starting QB. (well, maybe in your mind)

I would hope the next OC isn't as closed minded about the QB position as you are. I'll give Drew Willy credit for his unbelievable toughness. But he hasn't played enough to prove he is worth $400k. Which is a problem for Winnipeg going forward. It means they have to allow a big percentage of the cap for QB if they want any real competition at the QB position. For example, let's say Harris or Ray is available. One of those guys could easily come in and beat Willy for the job. But they won't be cheap. (Assuming Wpg wants another pocket passer). 

How do we know they could? Did Harris do anything Willy isn't capable of? Has Ray been healthy enough to give out the big contract to? You are severely under rating Drew Willy here and I don't understand why. Watch the guy play and you see a guy in total control. He makes good decisions he can make all the throws you need. Give him an offense that doesn't handicap a qb and watch him put up some damned good numbers. You are falling into the grass is greener trap bigtime here. 

OK Ricky Ray we know and we know he's near the end of his career. Would rather see him come here as a coach than QB. But did Willy do anything Harris isn't capable of? Harris did throw for 33 TDs this year with a 100.7 QB rating in a very mediocre offence. Meantime Bombers have been starved for exceptional QB play for so long that even so-so looks amazing, it seems. I hope you're right and a healthy Drew Willy never gets hurt again and plays lights out under a new system. I really wish it could happen. But I don't think it will because I don't think he's as good as some folks seem to think. Many Bomber wins where Willy was QB came on the strength of sold ST and defensive play - offensive production was still putrid. But now that MOS has basically told the next OC like it or not here's your starter, I guess we are all going to get a chance to see what unfolds. Bass-akwards management tough, hamstringing the next OC.

So you're putting the bad offence on Willy despite the overwhelming evidence that suggests it's MB that was the problem....ok...?

No question that Willy has the grit, the command presence and the talent to be a #1 quarterback in this league, but he simply cannot continue to take the pounding he has so far. He hasn't been gifted with the best set of receivers in the league, either, nor with an offensive coordinator who can take advantage of Willy's skill and offset his liabilities. Willy came damned close to a career-ending injury this year and I am concerned that one more such year-ending injury will do it for him. His wife is not going to be happy thinking that he is going to have a future with creaky knees by age 40 and unable to play with the kids or dance without pain.

Jesus Christ, Lapo? Really? Do you people forget how terrible the O was when he was head coach here before? And when he was here in 2002 I am pretty sure that I coulda called a good offence with Stegall, Roberts, Sellers, Bruce and Khari at my disposal. Just say no to Lapolice. So over rated.

Reasons his offense was terrible:

1. Joey Elliot

2. Alex Brink

3. Steven Jyles (was actually moderately effective for only time in his career under Lapo)

4. Broken down Buck Pierce

The best can make it work with very little

When you look at the chain of command: Miller, Walters O'Shea - their CFL experience is all ST and D - not an offensive mind among them.

Is it any wonder Bombers have seen the worst offensive production in the league since this regime took over?

Sure, OK, we've got Danny McManus in the group, and it was on his advice Bombers acquired Brian Brohm from Hamilton.

Now I happen to think Brian Brohm isn't nearly as bad as everybody says, but regardless we need to use this opportunity to find absolutely the right person in this critical OC job. Especially since whoever comes in here has got no real offensive expertise/coaching back-up since the rest of the senior coaching/management draws their experience from ST and D.

What really has me really worried is O'Shea's flat out declaration today that 'we feel we have a franchise QB' in Drew Willy.

That means he's already locking the next OC into using an immobile, slow-read, slow release, drop-back packet passer on one leg.

That tells me MOS still knows nothing about what really works or doesn't in a CFL offence and he hasn't learned anything either.

Sorry, but this is a recipe for more futility and failure in 2016.

So you've forgotten how good Willy has been for us? And forgotten that Bellefeuille made Calvillo look like a slow release slow read drop back pocket passer too? Drew Willy absolutely can be the franchise guy for this team. 

Willy has shown incredible toughness at times. But I can think of only one or two games when I thought 'Wow - Drew Willy played great and won that game for us." Mostly he's been unable to muster the O when it counts. His lack of success can't be pinned entirely on Bellefeuille though. While it is time for the Bombers to part ways with Marcel, they should have done so last year. Going forward, I worry about cap space and the QB position and whether we can recruit real competition for the #1 QB job when we are committed to paying Willy $400k. It seems ridiculous that MOS would hamstring the incoming OC by declaring Willy the starter since we don't even know if he'll pass the physical come TC 2016.

Oh I get it where you coming from. You want the Bombers to sign Harris or Ray.

Barker and Millanovich wont let Harris go. They will let Ray loose and will command a bidding war.

This wont be popular but just want to say one thing.  Those people who have had the opportunity to spend time with Marcel will attest that he was always a gentleman and a really great guy to be around.  Very humble and kind.  I had met him in passing a couple of times and then quite some time later met him again at a house party and he walked right up to me and said "we've met before" but couldnt remember the details.  He and his wife are good people.  Wish them the best.

Why would that not be popular?? nobody said he was a horrible person... just a bad OC... based on what I've heard of him, he sounds like a great person...

Obviously Willy will be the starter next year.

If the new OC came in and argued against that, I would fire him on the spot.

The Bombers will win a Grey Cup with Willy in the near future. He is our franchise.

Doublezero, go buy your Willy jersey now while you still can, because by this time next year they will be out of stock!  (A sea of Willy’s @ IGF… :D )

Any franchise without an offensive minded President is doomed to failure.

The point your missing is with the QB market in any football league you have to pay for potential if you think you have a franchise QB... Ham gave Collaros a "max" salary based on potential... same reason Miami and SF we "forced" to pay Tannehill and Kaepernick...

Any franchise without an offensive minded President is doomed to failure.

:lol:

Barker and Millanovich wont let Harris go. They will let Ray loose and will command a bidding war.

Milanovich loves Ray, so I don't think it's that simple. They'll try to sign both, but if Harris and his agent stick with trying to be the highest paid QB in League, Harris could be the one let go. Milanovich also seems really high on Logan Kilgore.

I can't believe there are actually people on this site that can't see that Drew Willy is an elite QB in this league....

What is elite in a 9 team league? Top 3? Top 5? He is neither of those...
He so obviously is

Ray, Burris, Mitchell, Reilly, Collaros.

Yeah, it's hard to call Willy top 5. I think he can get there. But not until his resume improves.

He's got the skill though.

Milanovich loves Ray, so I don't think it's that simple. They'll try to sign both, but if Harris and his agent stick with trying to be the highest paid QB in League, Harris could be the one let go. Milanovich also seems really high on Logan Kilgore.

If that's the case, I woudnt mind Walters goes deep in Harris bidding war. Willy & Harris is a great QB combo to have.

I can't believe there are actually people on this site that can't see that Drew Willy is an elite QB in this league....

Elite to me is Collaros, people can try and convince themselves all they want, but Willy is no where near as good as Zach Collaros.

If that's the case, I woudnt mind Walters goes deep in Harris bidding war. Willy & Harris is a great QB combo to have.

You think it's smart to pay 2 QB's $400k each ?