Bellefeuille OUT.....

trueBlue83

I know he won one with the Riders in '07, but that's the only one I'm aware of. At any rate, he has been run out of two different towns and had his third team fold on his watch. Made some of the most roundly criticized trades of all time, and is now relegated back to bird dog again. Might have taken longer for him to pronounce his failure, but ultimately he failed as a GM.

I say this because he no longer is a GM and is back to bird dogging after short stints in each and every stop he made.

Apparently Tillman still resides in Regina or at least his family does.

I know he won one with the Riders in '07, but that's the only one I'm aware of. At any rate, he has been run out of two different towns and had his third team fold on his watch. Made some of the most roundly criticized trades of all time, and is now relegated back to bird dog again. Might have taken longer for him to pronounce his failure, but ultimately he failed as a GM.

I say this because he no longer is a GM and is back to bird dogging after short stints in each and every stop he made.

Apparently Tillman still resides in Regina or at least his family does.

I thought he was rumoured to be on Sask's short list for GMs...

Y'know, as soon as I posted it, I kinda went "Wait...." ..but my point is more or less the same. We don't really know who's responsible for what...and being able to scout doesn't make you a great GM.

Well during the Kelly year he made it clear that Murphy had the database and had the list of guys to go after.

Hence the napkin joke about Taman.

After reading this article (from 2012 btw) I have no doubt that it was Murphy who found the talent in 2009.  The database probably resides in his head; he seems to have some kind of photographic memory:

In a typical workday, John Murphy receives hundreds of e-mails and just as many text messages. It’s par for the course for the Calgary Stampeders’ assistant general manager in charge of player personnel, who has built up a massive list of contacts with football player agents and coaches all over North America.

That kind of reach has come in particularly handy during this 2012 Canadian Football League season for the Stampeders because when there’s been a hole to fill due to injury — and the Stamps have had plenty of them — that’s when Murphy’s beloved Blackberry gets a particularly stiff workout.

“A lot of this stuff is about watching the game and the minute somebody gets hurt, I’m sending a text or getting a text or making a call,” said Murphy, one of the numerous unsung heroes in the Stamps’ 12-6 regular season and upcoming playoff home game against the Calgary Stampeders. “And the best part of the relationship here is that by the end of a game if there’s an injury, I’ll have sent (Hufnagel and the staff) three or four names with video.”

This season could have gone disastrously wrong with the injuries, particularly on the defensive side of the football. It started early on in training camp with defensive end Kevin Dixon getting hurt. Early in the regular season, it was coverage linebacker Demetrice Morley and various defensive backs.

Murphy along with his officemate Brendan Mahoney, who oversees the Stamps’ Canadian scouting operations but also made trips Stateside to scout NFL training camps, have been primarily responsible for bringing in the likes of Derrius Brooks, Cordarro Law and Anwar Stewart to help the Stamps get over the injuries with as little disruption as possible.

“When we had to plug holes, he brought guys in and most of them stayed and a lot of them played a lot sooner than anyone anticipated, and they played well,” said Stamps coach and general manager John Hufnagel. “So he has done an outstanding job along with Mahoney and the rest of the scouts.”

Murphy’s passion for finding football players goes back to his younger days growing up on Long Island in New York; his high school playing career was short-circuited (“I kept dislocating my left shoulder; my want-to was there. The could-to? Not as much.”) but he had a desire to be involved in football. So with his amazing recall of players from seeing them live or on tape, he began compiling scouting reports on college prospects who were perhaps off the radar of pro scouts, and sent them to every pro team in North America. They began to take notice, and he got a few scouting jobs before landing with the Stamps in 2007; he spent the 2009 season in Winnipeg as the Bombers’ director of player personnel before coming back to Calgary to scour North America for Stampeder prospects.

“He has an extreme memory,” said Hufnagel. “I’ll ask him about a player and he’ll tell me his school, how big he his and what his 40 time is.”

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Meet+John+Murphy+with+backup+plan/7521855/story.html

The comment at the bottom of that article is depressing.

Y'know, as soon as I posted it, I kinda went "Wait...." ..but my point is more or less the same. We don't really know who's responsible for what...and being able to scout doesn't make you a great GM.

Well during the Kelly year he made it clear that Murphy had the database and had the list of guys to go after.

Hence the napkin joke about Taman.

After reading this article (from 2012 btw) I have no doubt that it was Murphy who found the talent in 2009.  The database probably resides in his head; he seems to have some kind of photographic memory:

In a typical workday, John Murphy receives hundreds of e-mails and just as many text messages. It’s par for the course for the Calgary Stampeders’ assistant general manager in charge of player personnel, who has built up a massive list of contacts with football player agents and coaches all over North America.

That kind of reach has come in particularly handy during this 2012 Canadian Football League season for the Stampeders because when there’s been a hole to fill due to injury — and the Stamps have had plenty of them — that’s when Murphy’s beloved Blackberry gets a particularly stiff workout.

“A lot of this stuff is about watching the game and the minute somebody gets hurt, I’m sending a text or getting a text or making a call,” said Murphy, one of the numerous unsung heroes in the Stamps’ 12-6 regular season and upcoming playoff home game against the Calgary Stampeders. “And the best part of the relationship here is that by the end of a game if there’s an injury, I’ll have sent (Hufnagel and the staff) three or four names with video.”

This season could have gone disastrously wrong with the injuries, particularly on the defensive side of the football. It started early on in training camp with defensive end Kevin Dixon getting hurt. Early in the regular season, it was coverage linebacker Demetrice Morley and various defensive backs.

Murphy along with his officemate Brendan Mahoney, who oversees the Stamps’ Canadian scouting operations but also made trips Stateside to scout NFL training camps, have been primarily responsible for bringing in the likes of Derrius Brooks, Cordarro Law and Anwar Stewart to help the Stamps get over the injuries with as little disruption as possible.

“When we had to plug holes, he brought guys in and most of them stayed and a lot of them played a lot sooner than anyone anticipated, and they played well,” said Stamps coach and general manager John Hufnagel. “So he has done an outstanding job along with Mahoney and the rest of the scouts.”

Murphy’s passion for finding football players goes back to his younger days growing up on Long Island in New York; his high school playing career was short-circuited (“I kept dislocating my left shoulder; my want-to was there. The could-to? Not as much.”) but he had a desire to be involved in football. So with his amazing recall of players from seeing them live or on tape, he began compiling scouting reports on college prospects who were perhaps off the radar of pro scouts, and sent them to every pro team in North America. They began to take notice, and he got a few scouting jobs before landing with the Stamps in 2007; he spent the 2009 season in Winnipeg as the Bombers’ director of player personnel before coming back to Calgary to scour North America for Stampeder prospects.

“He has an extreme memory,” said Hufnagel. “I’ll ask him about a player and he’ll tell me his school, how big he his and what his 40 time is.”

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Meet+John+Murphy+with+backup+plan/7521855/story.html

The comment at the bottom of that article is depressing.

In fairness though, Morris was said to be the same in terms of providing information about player(s).

I think the key is which of these players fit the team's system which seems to be questionable in our scouting dept.

...Sure has been quiet so far for a Grey Cup week in our backyard....I guess considering the state of our team, that probably has a lot to do with it...Not even any substantial rumours about an oc hire or the like... I remember a few years back when there was all kinds of talk from the media about us hiring Mike Kelly during the Cup back east...Didn't seem to detract from the game.. Guess we're not interesting enough...And as far as the actual game itself, it seems to have been a struggle to sell IGF out, not a good sign...I wish I could get more 'up' for the festivities...but I feel something is missing...Maybe next year will straighten things out for me and a few other fans....I hope. 

...Sure has been quiet so far for a Grey Cup week in our backyard....I guess considering the state of our team, that probably has a lot to do with it...Not even any substantial rumours about an oc hire or the like... I remember a few years back when there was all kinds of talk from the media about us hiring Mike Kelly during the Cup back east...Didn't seem to detract from the game.. Guess we're not interesting enough...And as far as the actual game itself, it seems to have been a struggle to sell IGF out, not a good sign...I wish I could get more 'up' for the festivities...but I feel something is missing...Maybe next year will straighten things out for me and a few other fans....I hope. 

I think the word you are looking for is relevance... as in "I wish the Bombers were relevant in November".