Bellefeuille OUT.....

trueBlue83

The one good thing I take from O'Shea's end of season presser is that he fully understands that he gets the final say on his OC and that if he makes the wrong choice on this one it will eventually cost him his job.  Hopefully a number of good candidates spring free from other teams after the GC as the list of well-qualified replacements is extremely small.

Please no Lapo. Brady would be a boon, as would be Jackson. Lapo is such a bombers hire. We've seen what he can do.

I'm with you on this. Seems like a nice enough guy, brilliant on tv, knows football inside out, but way too controlling and stubborn.

I don't sense he's a guy who listens to other coaches observations and game analysis to help prepare a game plan. That's just my sense bases on his previous work with us.

O'Shea should have let MB and Tracey go at the end of last year. He kept them on, in a large part, to have someone else to fire to keep his job this year. If he'd pulled the trigger when he should have, he wouldn't have lasted this year as there wouldn't be anyone but him to blame.

The list of possible OC's is so Winnipeg. Whose failing career can we try to salvage? Which of our old players can we give a job to? Which Winnipeggers or those with a Winnipeg family can we give the job to? Who can we promote from within to a job they've never done before? A better way to go about this would be to ask which teams are running the best offenses and can we hire their OC away from them? It would not only make us better but our competition worse.

Interesting people keep balking at Howell or Pierce being considered for the OC job but I bet those people would now have loved to have had Jason Mass as the OC. Don't minimize the wealth of experience that a QB brings to the plate. Visualizing the game from the perspective of a QB is a huge asset. It seems to be working for a number of other teams.

Wow...that list is...a bunch of crap.

Dyce would be the only person I'd want here, but as a STC.  And Khari as a QB coach.  Big hell no to Howell and Pierce.  I hope they don't go that route as we don't need more rookie coaches right now taking command.  I'd rather have LaPo then Howell or Pierce, and that's not saying much.

I'm hoping there's more on that list, but they just aren't saying much yet because the other teams are still playing.

What a load of crap.  How do you uncover new coaches if you don't even give them a chance.  If they deserve it of course.  If everyone thought like you than we wouldn't have up an coming coaching talent like Jason Maas, Dave Dickenson or Marcus Brady.  The same can be said for current coaches like John Hufnagel and Kent Austin.  

If Buck Pierce has the right aptitude and smarts.  Why not?  Same goes for Marcus Howell.  A guy like Pierce has worked one on one with many different OC's over his college and pro career.  I'm sure he's picked something up over  those years. 

O'Shea should have let MB and Tracey go at the end of last year. He kept them on, in a large part, to have someone else to fire to keep his job this year. If he'd pulled the trigger when he should have, he wouldn't have lasted this year as there wouldn't be anyone but him to blame.

You can't be serious with this post. He kept 2 people on that he knew couldn't do the job, so that he could have them around to fire , to save his job?

The list of possible OC's is so Winnipeg. Whose failing career can we try to salvage? Which of our old players can we give a job to? Which Winnipeggers or those with a Winnipeg family can we give the job to? Who can we promote from within to a job they've never done before? A better way to go about this would be to ask which teams are running the best offenses and can we hire their OC away from them? It would not only make us better but our competition worse.

There is no list. At least one that were aware of, so you don't know if other team's coordinators are, or aren't, on this list/no list.

I'm not seeing anything there that makes me giddy with anticipation.....

Nope. Nothing at all. LaPo is the best choice of all but why would he want to come back to the team that stabbed in the back in the shape we're in now with a lame duck head coach? And I truly believe MOS will never sign another HC contract with the Bombers. So, the only way I see Lapo ever coming back is if he was GM & HC. At least then Lapo would know he wouldn't have a cowardly GM stabbing him in the back sacrificing himself to save his own neck like Mack did in 2012. And we know that Walters is just "too valuable an asset" to be dismissed for LaPo. Cough, cough...
You take a shot at Mack but you don't have a problem with the fact Lapo stabbed his OC in the back in 2011. Bit of a double standard there.
Mack was useless to begin with so he deserves all the shots he gets. And, can't be a double standard if I never knew it. So, what did he do?
Lapo firing Barresi the day after the Bombers lost the GC - making Barresi the scapegoat.

Yeah, remember that now. Had forgotten.

Dyce would be the only person I'd want here, but as a STC.  And Khari as a QB coach.  Big hell no to Howell and Pierce.  I hope they don't go that route as we don't need more rookie coaches right now taking command.  I'd rather have LaPo then Howell or Pierce, and that's not saying much.

I'm hoping there's more on that list, but they just aren't saying much yet because the other teams are still playing.

What a load of crap.  How do you uncover new coaches if you don't even give them a chance.  If they deserve it of course.  If everyone thought like you than we wouldn't have up an coming coaching talent like Jason Maas, Dave Dickenson or Marcus Brady.  The same can be said for current coaches like John Hufnagel and Kent Austin.  

If Buck Pierce has the right aptitude and smarts.  Why not?  Same goes for Marcus Howell.  A guy like Pierce has worked one on one with many different OC's over his college and pro career.  I'm sure he's picked something up over  those years. 

So here we go. We hire another guy like Buck who doesn't have experience. he hasn't even been a qb coach. As if that has worked before. So, I guess Blue Bomber State University is off & running... hiring inexperienced coaches & managers galore for both in class & on the job training. 

You can't be serious with this post. He kept 2 people on that he knew couldn't do the job, so that he could have them around to fire , to save his job?

There is no list. At least one that were aware of, so you don't know if other team's coordinators are, or aren't, on this list/no list.

You seriously think that he'd still be around now if he'd fired Tracey and MB last year and still had a similar record? The other alternative is that he actually thought those two coordinators were good at their jobs, which brings his ability to tell good from bad into question. 

The list I'm talking about is the names that the fans and media have been putting together. PLAP, Buck, Khari, Howell, etc...  Better choices would be Brady, Condell, Cortez. Guys who have options who we'd have to pay more and who would want to move to get a shot at a HC job and/or to get out from the shadow of good HC's. I doubt O'Shea would want to pick one of them though because they would all be better choices for the HC job too.

Absolutely right.

The new guys that have been given chances, on both sides of the ball, (ex. Thorp, Maas, Brady, Condell) have shown well, either through an extension of their coaching staff, or completely on their own.

How will we ever see new ideas besides the old X's and O's, if we don't seek out new thinking?

Fresh offensive ideas, as yet not tried. The RedBlacks no huddle offence, as opposed to our stale no offence huddles.

A "keep them guessing on D offence", as opposed to our "we know what you're going to do playbook".

How about fresh and new as opposed to stale and re-cycled.

I remember a quote from a defensive player when they were done thrashing our offence. He basically said "we knew exactly what they were going to do". That's basically been our Offensive scheme...for years.

Unfortunately, O'Shea won't be able to go where no man has gone before, because he's got to hire that "name" and hopefully get it right this time.

You seriously think that he'd still be around now if he'd fired Tracey and MB last year and still had a similar record? The other alternative is that he actually thought those two coordinators were good at their jobs, which brings his ability to tell good from bad into question. 

The list I'm talking about is the names that the fans and media have been putting together. PLAP, Buck, Khari, Howell, etc...  Better choices would be Brady, Condell, Cortez. Guys who have options who we'd have to pay more and who would want to move to get a shot at a HC job and/or to get out from the shadow of good HC's. I doubt O'Shea would want to pick one of them though because they would all be better choices for the HC job too.

Pay more. TBurgess, you realize what you just said? This is the Blue Bombers here. The words hire & pay more used in the same sentence are oxymorons when it comes to hiring coaches. We just don't do that kind of thing. ;)

This question has nothing to do with claiming a coach is keeping coaches on to protect himself from being fired. 

O'Shea was on H&L yesterday and was asked if he would offer someone an associate HC position to attract the right person (no names mentioned because they would all still be under contract and likely in playoff hunts) his answer was unequivocally yes.   He even went on to say that one of the things he views as his responsibility is the long term stability of the club and that means bringing in the right personnel for that.

Pay more. TBurgess, you realize what you just said? This is the Blue Bombers here. The words hire & pay more used in the same sentence are oxymorons when it comes to hiring coaches. We just don't do that kind of thing. ;)

You know iso.  Unless you have full access to coaches salaries and that of other teams.  How do you know that we don't pay market price for coaches. 

Your conjecture is unfounded unless you can back it up with proven numbers.  When Wade was hired one of the first things he said was that he was going to significantly increase the football operations budget.   

If it's one thing we've learned about OS'hea, it's that he will put what's good for the organization ahead of what's good for him. He didn't hire Etch to have a throwaway coach, he basically had to hire him because there was no one left.

MB? yech. Retaining MB instead of firing both mediocre coordinators, the brain thrust acquiesced to the feeling to the safety of having someone you know as opposed to not looking for the next one.

And for continuity. He was wrong.

But to suggest he kept a bad coach as a buffer is ridiculous.

And just how do you know MOS doesn't have your list in mind?

This question has nothing to do with claiming a coach is keeping coaches on to protect himself from being fired. 

O'Shea was on H&L yesterday and was asked if he would offer someone an associate HC position to attract the right person (no names mentioned because they would all still be under contract and likely in playoff hunts) his answer was unequivocally yes.   He even went on to say that one of the things he views as his responsibility is the long term stability of the club and that means bringing in the right personnel for that.

So, bringing in a 'name" with one year left in the MOS contract? And if the team poops the bed the MAME guy they bring in as OC & AHC goes down with the team & there goes his reputation. Also, how can they give a new guy a 3 year deal & the other coaches are left dangling? How is that for morale on the coaching staff. No quality assistant is going to come here with a 1 year deal. This team is a mess coaching wise. It'd have been better to start fresh. 

You know iso.  Unless you have full access to coaches salaries and that of other teams.  How do you know that we don't pay market price for coaches. 

Your conjecture is unfounded unless you can back it up with proven numbers.  When Wade was hired one of the first things he said was that he was going to significantly increase the football operations budget.   

Okay. LOL! Look at our entire staff. All neophytes. From President on down to HC. They were rookies. You don't pay top dollar for guys who never proved a thing. They don't get the big bucks their first contract. IF they proved themselves then they'd cash in on their second contracts. Nah, these were cheap hires all through. And we're getting what the Bombers paid for.

Absolutely right.

The new guys that have been given chances, on both sides of the ball, (ex. Thorp, Maas, Brady, Condell) have shown well, either through an extension of their coaching staff, or completely on their own.

How will we ever see new ideas besides the old X's and O's, if we don't seek out new thinking?

Fresh offensive ideas, as yet not tried. The RedBlacks no huddle offence, as opposed to our stale no offence huddles.

A "keep them guessing on D offence", as opposed to our "we know what you're going to do playbook".

How about fresh and new as opposed to stale and re-cycled.

I remember a quote from a defensive player when they were done thrashing our offence. He basically said "we knew exactly what they were going to do". That's basically been our Offensive scheme...for years.

Unfortunately, O'Shea won't be able to go where no man has gone before, because he's got to hire that "name" and hopefully get it right this time.

It's better to give rookie assistants a chance in a winning organization, the Bombers are in no position to gamble at this time.