Kudos to Doug Brown

Floyd

The way MOS acted on the Coaches Show it's pretty clear he's becoming unraveled with each loss. These guys who want to become CFL head coaches... with no experience... like MOS... are they that clueless in respect to not knowing they have to deal with media every single day???? How could he have not known?? That's why bringing in someone like MOS with no experience to right the ship was a dumb idea. Our HC has no idea what to do  next. He's clueless & in way over his head. This is totally on Wade Miller for hiring a GM & HC with absolutely no experience. 

Can someone recap the questions and answers given

"Why so many penalties?"- answer: loss of focus

"Will there be consequnces?" a: Don't you understand, handled internally, non issue, next question.

"Will there be a new starting quarterback next week?" a: not going to get into that

"What happened in the game?" a: we were doing fine until the penalties.

Consider that turd polished. Complete waste of airtime.

The problem is that too many fans have anger issues and they just expect everyone else to be as angry as they are. They want a head coach ranting and raving about how angry he is, they want Bob Irving to be unloading on the coaches and players for playing to poorly, they want everyone to feel like they do. They don't want the head coach to be calm and give non answers, they don't want Bob Irving to let the coach be calm. Look at how this place is immediately after a loss, they want everyone in the media and with the team to react like that. 

The problem is that too many fans have anger issues and they just expect everyone else to be as angry as they are. They want a head coach ranting and raving about how angry he is, they want Bob Irving to be unloading on the coaches and players for playing to poorly, they want everyone to feel like they do. They don't want the head coach to be calm and give non answers, they don't want Bob Irving to let the coach be calm. Look at how this place is immediately after a loss, they want everyone in the media and with the team to react like that. 

Well, I think actually for the most part the members of most forums have been fairly tolerant of losses. Not long ago people here and elsewhere still were saying MOS was a good HC (not me). I think as losing streaks start coming though they want to hear not the coach getting angry but something that tells them the coach is seeing what they are seeing out on the field. This way they can have some hope that those issues will be addressed.

Our coaches, for a while now, have not been the types that have wanted to say anything of substance and it is really frustrating. We have had coaches such as Dave Berry and Ritchie who have said something even if it was fairly minimal. I have also heard plenty of inteviews with current and past coaches from other teams and many of them are quite straight forward. Maybe not naming names or anything like that but giving giving their general views without tipping their hat or coming across as a jackass.I mean it is not rocket science, you can talk and not give the other teams any trade secrets.

How MOS, and Burke before him, interacts with the media and talks about the team tells me he isn't well versed in how to deal with the press and appease fans. Also the way he seems to want to be a player's coach and his sideline actions (or lack thereof) tells me that while he may be evoking loyalty from the players it isn't doing much to foster any accountability amongst the players. They keep taking undiciplined penalties and mkaing just amazingly stupid plays over and over.

I can deal with non-answers only so long before it evokes exactly the reactions fans are giving to it now.

I don't expect Irving to be any different than he has been in his long career. He is respectful to a fault and always tries to find a silver lining even in the worst of times. He is no pansy he is a good media man that knows how to keep the lines of communication open.

I want to see him actually do "something".

Sit players for dumb penalties. You don't have to yell at them, just point to the bench and leave it at that. He's done nothing as a coach to reduce the number of stupid penalties and I'm sick and tired of it. Don't throw a guy under the bus to the media, but if someone take 3-4 dumb penalties, hey, he's not on the roster next game.

A coach can make players accountable without going apeshit on them. MOS is doing neither.

If you think Bomber fans take losses well I don't know what to tell you. The coach doesn't need to appease fans in the media, the only way a coach can truly appease fans is to win games. I mean there are a lot of things I'd be disappointed in a coach blabbing about in the media. How he disciplines players is one of them. People have these crazy expectations of what a coach is going to say. Times have changed, with how quickly information gets spread around without any kind of context or source checking everyone has to walk on eggshells. You don't hear any other coaches in the CFL saying much more. Chamblin did but he was clearly in a save his own ass mentality since he was sensing that the noose was tightening around his neck.

I still believe Mike O'Shea is a good head coach. I believe he is dealing with a terrible offensive coordinator and a lack of talent and depth in some areas. Now we can talk about how he should have fired Bellefeuille in the offseason, but it's not always as easy as that. The Bombers are fighting a stigma about being a coaching graveyard and firing even more coaches doesn't help shed that stigma. For that reason I'd give O'Shea more time, but my patience with Bellefool is over. It was over last year but this year he's gotta go for sure or it'll cost everyone their jobs.  

I want to see him actually do "something".

Sit players for dumb penalties. You don't have to yell at them, just point to the bench and leave it at that. He's done nothing as a coach to reduce the number of stupid penalties and I'm sick and tired of it. Don't throw a guy under the bus to the media, but if someone take 3-4 dumb penalties, hey, he's not on the roster next game.

A coach can make players accountable without going apeshit on them. MOS is doing neither.

Ok so who other than Kuale has been a chronic taker of penalties? Picard I guess but who's going to replace him if you want to staple him to the bench? The penalty on the punt was the biggest one but even that wasn't some discipline problem, it was simply missing the ball. Adams took a roughing penalty, but it was a pretty weak one, Taking Dressler out of bounds and Dressler goes down easy once past the sidelines. Sure it's a by the books penalty, but not like Adams really gave him a shot. Johnson took a couple in recent weeks but the one on Sunday I believe was a frustration thing where he got caught for the retaliation. It's not like it's one guy all the time, it's just a lot of frustrations boiling over when a game is being pissed away. The 3 phases of the team all start pulling their own weight in a game you'll see less of that frustration. 

If you think Bomber fans take losses well I don't know what to tell you. The coach doesn't need to appease fans in the media, the only way a coach can truly appease fans is to win games. I mean there are a lot of things I'd be disappointed in a coach blabbing about in the media. How he disciplines players is one of them. People have these crazy expectations of what a coach is going to say. Times have changed, with how quickly information gets spread around without any kind of context or source checking everyone has to walk on eggshells. You don't hear any other coaches in the CFL saying much more. Chamblin did but he was clearly in a save his own ass mentality since he was sensing that the noose was tightening around his neck.

I still believe Mike O'Shea is a good head coach. I believe he is dealing with a terrible offensive coordinator and a lack of talent and depth in some areas. Now we can talk about how he should have fired Bellefeuille in the offseason, but it's not always as easy as that. The Bombers are fighting a stigma about being a coaching graveyard and firing even more coaches doesn't help shed that stigma. For that reason I'd give O'Shea more time, but my patience with Bellefool is over. It was over last year but this year he's gotta go for sure or it'll cost everyone their jobs.  

My thoughts exactly. 

I will say this about Doug Brown tho, he's been on MOS's case for a long time now, ever since day 1 really so i do kind of sense a bit of a, not sure of the word but... I'm not sure Brown and MOS get along and I'm not sure they ever have... to me, Brown seems to make things personal lots, it's tough to answer his questions cuz regardless of the answer or non answer MOS gets, brown is always right in his mind. 

Listen, I liked Doug Brown the football player but Doug Brown the semi media type guy, not a big fan of. He comes across as always knowing what's right and  with guys like that.. yeah, i'm not sure how i'd feel about answering his questions either. There seems to be a history between MOS and Brown, and i'm not sure it's a good one. Brown really has been on MOS since day 1 so it makes you wonder if theres some sort of grudge or personal history there between the 2. 

I tend to find myself... liking Doug Brown a lot less every time he speaks because the way he speaks, it just screams I know it all and nobody knows more than i do...

Good Football player tho but... at the same time, The more he talks as a member of the semi media, the more i  find myself disliking him.

He's very condescending and seems to be very full of Doug Brown, he comes across like he is better than everyone else and i find it very hard to take people like that seriously. He's almost trying to hard to be a ****** at times. 

And i get that he's Doug Brown, and Doug Brown was a great football player and he can do no harm cuz he's Doug Brown but at the same time, like i said, the more he talks, the more i find myself not wanting to listen to him, talks down to people, condescending really... always right. 

I will say this about Doug Brown tho, he's been on MOS's case for a long time now, ever since day 1 really so i do kind of sense a bit of a, not sure of the word but... I'm not sure Brown and MOS get along and I'm not sure they ever have... to me, Brown seems to make things personal lots, it's tough to answer his questions cuz regardless of the answer or non answer MOS gets, brown is always right in his mind. 

Listen, I liked Doug Brown the football player but Doug Brown the semi media type guy, not a big fan of. He comes across as always knowing what's right and  with guys like that.. yeah, i'm not sure how i'd feel about answering his questions either. There seems to be a history between MOS and Brown, and i'm not sure it's a good one. Brown really has been on MOS since day 1 so it makes you wonder if theres some sort of grudge or personal history there between the 2. 

I tend to find myself... liking Doug Brown a lot less every time he speaks because the way he speaks, it just screams I know it all and nobody knows more than i do...

Good Football player tho but... at the same time, The more he talks as a member of the semi media, the more i  find myself disliking him.

He's very condescending and seems to be very full of Doug Brown, he comes across like he is better than everyone else and i find it very hard to take people like that seriously. He's almost trying to hard to be a ****** at times. 

And i get that he's Doug Brown, and Doug Brown was a great football player and he can do no harm cuz he's Doug Brown but at the same time, like i said, the more he talks, the more i find myself not wanting to listen to him, talks down to people, condescending really... always right. 

Brevity is the spice of life.

Brown and O'Shea were rivals on the field and when Brown was playing and O'Shea was a special teams coordinator. I seem to think that more than once O'Sheas specials teams would come up with a play to beat the Bombers as well which likely makes Brown dislike him. As a player Brown was great, as a media guy he is a bit full of himself and comes across as too much of a know it all. Plus this thing he does where he tries to show off his vocabulary and make every statement as wordy as possible bothers me. Reeks of a guy trying to sound smarter than he is. 

Goalie your assessment of Brown is dead on the mark. You have him pegged to a T. Brown is and has always been all about himself.

Who else is he supposed to be about? His job is to give an opinion and that opinion is ultimately going to serve his needs and that is people reading or listening to him.

He is condecending and a jerk at times but lots of fan favorites have had similar attitudes. I thought Walby was always full of himself, too. Nick Bastia, while not condecending, was a scary mofo ... and so forth.

17to85, I respect the response, however, it is a mistake to say that a coach is not accountable to the media/fans. It is true that those folks do not pay him directly nor are they his boss, however he IS a representative of the organization to the public and as such he has a duty to do his best to placate them. Ritchie, Berry, and the great Don Matthews were crusty buggers but they STILL gave ANSWERS to questions. They did not do what fans asked, and I agree they do not HAVE TO, but they SHOULD be able to throw us a bone and at least give us some indication of what is being done behind closed doors to fix problems. Afterall, the biggest part of their job is to put a team on the field that draws people in and not chase them away. He may hate that us fans and the press get on him but the dollars he is paid ultimately come from our pockets.

How would MOS feel if he hired me to rake his leaves and I didn't but I took his money up front anyway? I am a paying fan and I don't pay to watch my team blow chunks all over the field and country. If they do I wanna know why they did and what is being done about it or I may opt out of giving them my time and very hard earned dollars. It is real simple math and ultimately not much to ask.

If O'Shea succeeds as a head coach, he would be the first person to go from special teams coach, to head coach, with no other experience, and succeed.

Unless someone can name another instance in the last twenty years where it happened, in Pro football. 

The slack he gets, and the belief in his future success here as Bombers head coach, without  evidence of any kind to this point, to support it, is odd.

Specially considering the hate for some of the other coaches.

The only thing I've heard is "players like playing for him". big deal. Westwood said the players loved playing for Reinbold.

People keep looking for a single problem, and a simple solution. 

There's far more than one thing wrong with the team, and more than one person responsible for it's failure.

Yea we definitely need more ranting freakouts like kavis reed had in edmonton cuz gosh darnit, that solved all his coaching woes!

The video I posted of Kavis was a JOKE. A JOKE, people. Get a grip. Kavis lost it saying in the video that there had to be consequences & there weren't. Why wouldn't anyone take that 10 second video for what it was... a joke? I didn't think I had to explain it. 

If O'Shea succeeds as a head coach, he would be the first person to go from special teams coach, to head coach, with no other experience, and succeed.

Unless someone can name another instance in the last twenty years where it happened, in Pro football. 

The slack he gets, and the belief in his future success here as Bombers head coach, without  evidence of any kind to this point, to support it, is odd.

Specially considering the hate for some of the other coaches.

The only thing I've heard is "players like playing for him". big deal. Westwood said the players loved playing for Reinbold.

People keep looking for a single problem, and a simple solution. 

There's far more than one thing wrong with the team, and more than one person responsible for it's failure.

John Harbaugh...

For all his alleged faults, Doug Brown probably still has a pipeline into the Bomber dressing rooom. As Jeff Reinbold proved, you can have the players love playing for you, but if the wins are not there and players are not being used to their best advantage by the playbook, the honeymoon will soon be over. I think we are one short step away from that point now.

John Harbaugh...

thanks....didn't know that.

doesn't really change the odds much though does it?

one example out of probably five hundred or more special teams coaches in pro football.

re Doug Brown, I like the guy, and obviously he knows more about football than all of the posters on this board combined. I don't think he has shown any agenda, other than saying what he thinks.

"The truth hurts"   ..... Randy Moss.