Brohm to start LDC?

Mr. Perfect

Brohm starts? Doomed.

The only time he's ever started a game he was 14/23 for 194 yards no tds and no ints.... Let's see what he can do before we go completely doom and gloom. Those numbers aren't horrible, perhaps the guy just sucks coming off the bench into shitty games?
Yeah resting on the bench tends to affect a QBs aim.Maybe resting ,caused his eyes to stray to the turf hence his ground balls.How many turf skips we gonna get now?

90% of the game is half mental.

Only 30% of the time though.

And you never eat at that restaurant, right?

Yet when Willy was the QB and i'm not defending MB's playbook but when Willy was the QB, he'd throw for 300 yards basically every game. 

Gotta sometimes realize that Marve and Brohm for that matter, they just aren't very good. 

Get a grip on reality. In the first blowout vs TiCats Drew Willy was a whopping 3 of 6 for 48 yards and zero TDs. In the next game vs Esks Willy was a masterful 7-17 for 81 yards. Next blowout vs TiCats Willy was 16-27 for 171 yards with one TD and one INT for a pick 6. As Winnipeg's starter Willy produced a total of 8 TDs in 7 games, before his injury. He had virtually the same QB passer rating as rookie Rakeem Cato, who, at that point, had played one less game. Winnipeg's O production has been mostly putrid, with the occasional big-play exception, regardless of who is in at QB since around the the halfway point of last year. 

Injured. Injured. Injured. 

Yeah, Doublezero, you really need to check the facts before you post.  He got injured in each of those outings like Goalie said.  You act like he threw for 48 yards in 4 quarters.  And btw, that 171 yards was 2 quarters before he wrecked his knee.  So he was on his way to 300.

Do you even watch the games?

OK here are the actual numbers: in 17 starts in 2014 Drew Willy threw for an average of 224 yards per game. In seven starts in 2015 Drew Willy threw for an average of 161 yards per game, True the 2015 numbers are skewed by Willy's unfortunate injuries in 3 games he couldn't finish. But before you tell me Willy's numbers are through the roof here's a somewhat telling number for you: in 24 games as the Bombers starting QB Drew Willy has thrown 22 TDs and 19 INTS, that's less than one TD per game and not good enough to win consistently in this league. When Bombers won a few games way back at the start of 2014 it was due to big help from special teams and defence scoring points off turnovers. That's the truth. Our production on O and at the QB position has been pretty paltry, Willy included.

Good analysis, but statisitcs do not address the times that Willy was playing hurt and/or scared with an O-line which offered the protection of Kleenex and a receiving corps which was, to put it kindly, sub-par and in a cnstant state of flux. And then there was a certain offensive coordinator.....

For sure. I was simply responding to the original poster who said Willy often throws for 300 yards. I will say this: I haven't bought a #5 jersey. 

Brohm starts? Doomed.

The only time he's ever started a game he was 14/23 for 194 yards no tds and no ints.... Let's see what he can do before we go completely doom and gloom. Those numbers aren't horrible, perhaps the guy just sucks coming off the bench into shitty games?
So if he starts the game he will then have the ability to not one hop passes?
You realize if he is composed.. The likelihood of his feet being set and his throws actually made properly go up, right? He was panicked as soon as he went in.. Flustered to hell..

I'm not saying he's gonna light it up or even do well.. But starter prep can go a long way..

Yeah hell backups gotta be starters before they can be effective.
Or some QBs respond to different situations differently but hey, lets not let reality get in the way of a stab at the bombers, right?
Or wishful thinking getting in the way of reality,right?

If it happens, I'm ok with giving Brohm another look. Brohm has unfortunately become a lightning rod for general fan frustration with the Bombers anemic offence. It's valuable to note that even when Drew Willy is at the helm this O can't muster as much as one TD per game, on average. That's not on Brohm. Criticism of Brohm has been unfair given the ridiculous situations he's been placed in, coming cold off the bench in games that were already well out of hand. 

If it happens, I'm ok with giving Brohm another look. Brohm has unfortunately become a lightning rod for general fan frustration with the Bombers anemic offence. It's valuable to note that even when Drew Willy is at the helm this O can't muster as much as one TD per game, on average. That's not on Brohm. Criticism of Brohm has been unfair given the ridiculous situations he's been placed in, coming cold off the bench in games that were already well out of hand. 

The criticism of Brohm is that he can't complete a 10 yard pass without bouncing it off the field in front of his targeted receiver.   At least Willy can move the offence.  

You don't see many other professional QBs have that problem when they come off the bench cold.

I think at this point Brohm's problems are mental.  There is no doubt he is able to make that pass, he wouldn't be where he is today if he couldn't and from all reports he is very accurate in practice.  But I think it is now in his head and is over thinking his throws once he gets in the games.  Kind of like the yips with a golfer.  Question is how much time can we afford to give him to work himself out of it.  Not long.

But having said that, I still think the criticism of Brohm is warranted.  That display he put on last game was atrocious.  

I honestly have such a hard time responding to your posts. They're filled with such misinformation that it makes me really wonder if you are capable of seeing things with an unbiased eye.

I mean really, you made two statements in that entire post and neither one of them is anywhere even NEAR true.

Willy has completed 23 quarters of football this season, so for the sake of giving your argument a bit of merit, let's say 6 full games even though it's one quarter and change short of that. He's thrown for 8 touchdowns and we've rushed for 3 more on drives that he's finished off. So on average, it's basically double what you suggested.

When Brohm came in against Hamilton, it was 17-7 Hamilton. In the first quarter. That is not a game that is out of hand, never mind "well out of hand". When Brohm came in against Edmonton, it was 4-3 Edmonton. Neither one of these is a ridiculous situation for a backup quarterback to enter into. They should actually be the exact kind of situations a backup QB is mentally prepared to enter, seen as how the body of their work isn't really expected to come in mop up time after their team is already well out in front.

Feel free to share your opinion but don't try and lace it with pure bull**** and expect to have it slide.

I honestly have such a hard time responding to your posts. They're filled with such misinformation that it makes me really wonder if you are capable of seeing things with an unbiased eye.

I mean really, you made two statements in that entire post and neither one of them is anywhere even NEAR true.

Willy has completed 23 quarters of football this season, so for the sake of giving your argument a bit of merit, let's say 6 full games even though it's one quarter and change short of that. He's thrown for 8 touchdowns and we've rushed for 3 more on drives that he's finished off. So on average, it's basically double what you suggested.

When Brohm came in against Hamilton, it was 17-7 Hamilton. In the first quarter. That is not a game that is out of hand, never mind "well out of hand". When Brohm came in against Edmonton, it was 4-3 Edmonton. Neither one of these is a ridiculous situation for a backup quarterback to enter into. They should actually be the exact kind of situations a backup QB is mentally prepared to enter, seen as how the body of their work isn't really expected to come in mop up time after their team is already well out in front.

Feel free to share your opinion but don't try and lace it with pure bull**** and expect to have it slide.

While I agree with most of this post Mike. average of 2 tds a game is still complete bullshit, especially this year.

But as for the other comments, yes the games he's stepped into have given him plenty of time to show something...even a glimmer of hope that he's improving...but we only see 3 passes in a row bounce off the turf. Brohm is brutal, but I'll say MB is worse.

While I agree with most of this post Mike. average of 2 tds a game is still complete bullshit, especially this year.

But as for the other comments, yes the games he's stepped into have given him plenty of time to show something...even a glimmer of hope that he's improving...but we only see 3 passes in a row bounce off the turf. Brohm is brutal, but I'll say MB is worse.

Oh, for sure not good enough. But that doesn't make the facts in his post any more accurate.

Oh, for sure not good enough. But that doesn't make the facts in his post any more accurate.

I said I'm ok with Brohm starting this weekend. Given who is available, who would you prefer? Could Brohm have been better coming off the bench? Maybe but I'm not going to vilify the guy because given the limited reps he does appear to do some things well. Better than Marve. And he does some things tempo-wise better than Willy. Unfortunately it's been a perfect storm for him. As for Drew Willy - he has NOT been able to produce 2 TDs per game. Far from it. Since he arrived in Winnipeg Willy has generated less than one strike per game, on average. In 24 starts for him its 22 TDs. And 19 INTs. That level of O production is not going to win games in Pop Warner, let alone the CFL. Winnipeg's can't run, can't pass O doesn't scare anyone, even with Drew Willy at the helm.

I said I'm ok with Brohm starting this weekend. Given who is available, who would you prefer? Could Brohm have been better coming off the bench? Maybe but I'm not going to vilify the guy because given the limited reps he does appear to do some things well. Better than Marve. And he does some things tempo-wise better than Willy. Unfortunately it's been a perfect storm for him. As for Drew Willy - he has NOT been able to produce 2 TDs per game. Far from it. Since he arrived in Winnipeg Willy has generated less than one strike per game, on average. In 24 starts for him its 22 TDs. And 19 INTs. That level of O production is not going to win games in Pop Warner, let alone the CFL. Winnipeg's can't run, can't pass O doesn't scare anyone, even with Drew Willy at the helm.

so we just ignore the rushing touchdowns now.

Gotcha.

Just the fact that Brohm is still here is the problem...  he should have been cut long time ago, at least Michael Bishop could complete a pass

Brohm is 30 and has not put together one drive this season.  If his mind is broken, well, thats life... 

Epic fail by Walters and crew I have to say.

Paul Friesen        

Brohm just one-hopped a pass, followed by a Davis pick (sound of clearing throat). #Bombers

I saw the one hop but that was as much the REC fault as Brohm's it was a much longer throw the WR was wide open and should have come back to the ball but the REC was S L E E P I N G , yes Brohm could have made a better throw but the REC has more than enough time to adjust to the ball IMO, and the more I watch practice the more I think we have a REC problem as much as a QB problem...

Brohm actually made some nice throws and looked like the best QB on the field today.. and Brohm did look decent with in his only CFL start before he got hurt so I am hopeful he will be much better than he has been....

As for Davis he made at least one nice throw but was picked 3 times by my count, there is no doubt to me that Brohm starts, Davis is #2 and Nichols #3.

Davis looks to be very mobile as well, I think he just had a tough day today hopefully he looks better tomorrow.

Nichols as getting 3rd string reps today as he is just learning the system...

In the 7 games he's appeared in this season its 11 tds which is 1.6 per game. 1.83 if you realize he was in for essentially 6 games.

A little better than you had it down, no? Or do rushing tds not count?

Honestly start Brohm. If he struggles go to Davis and then release Brohm after the game. I'd tell brohm this is his last chance to prove he can be a QB in this league. He hadn't started this year yet so...

That's exactly what you don't want to say to a QB starting his first game of the season. Or any game for that matter.

I wouldn't actually tell him that but... I would certainly be thinking it. He's gotta know it's time to **** or get off the pot anyways. I mean, Nichols was brought in, Davis is getting some reps too... Brohm has got to know that his time is coming to an end.
Of course he knows this. I expect the pressure, both internal and external on Brohm this week will be huge. I'm sure he knows his career as a professional football player hangs in the balance. I really struggle to understand why we kept him ( and to a lesser extent Marve ) into this season. One or both of them should've been released prior to camp.

Of course he knows this. I expect the pressure, both internal and external on Brohm this week will be huge. I'm sure he knows his career as a professional football player hangs in the balance. I really struggle to understand why we kept him ( and to a lesser extent Marve ) into this season. One or both of them should've been released prior to camp.

It's so funny because hindsight is 50/50. Prior to this season starting Brohm was almost universally praised for being a solid back up based on his play last season and there was even some discussion whether or not he was going to be in the NFL. Marve was thought of as being a future starter in this league, largely based on his win in Calgary last year. Both quarterbacks looked good last season, and the general consensus out of training camp was that we were set at the quarterback position. Obviously this season Brohm has looked terrible, and Marve not much better but no one felt uncomfortable about either of those guys backing up Willy coming into the season.

The only way Brohm is going to be in the NFL is as a paying spectator, but like it or not, there is really no alternative to starting him on Sunday (Sigh), so you had better take nausea suppressants well in advance or large quatities of your favourite alcoholic libation. And maybe put up a shatter-proof shield in front of the TV.

Gotcha.

OK I missed the 2 rushing TDs Drew Willy scored since he arrived in Winnipeg. That is a grand total of 24 TDs in 24 starts as quarterback - on average one TD per start since he got here. And 19 INTs. Tell me you think that is even close to adequate and then we can just disagree. It's just so obvious Bombers need a QB to step up and create some momentum and confidence. We don't appear to have anyone on the roster who can do that.

Gotcha.

OK I missed the 2 rushing TDs Drew Willy scored since he arrived in Winnipeg. That is a grand total of 24 TDs in 24 starts as quarterback - on average one TD per start since he got here. And 19 INTs. Tell me you think that is even close to adequate and then we can just disagree. It's just so obvious Bombers need a QB to step up and create some momentum and confidence. We don't appear to have anyone on the roster who can do that.

You're still missing the point. You said "when Drew Willy is at the helm, the O can't" - meaning you can't just count the touchdowns HE scores. What about all the ones Marve or Brohm or Cotton or Marshall scored on goal line sneaks, short handoffs, etc?

Those all count.

In the 7 games he's appeared in this season its 11 tds which is 1.6 per game. 1.83 if you realize he was in for essentially 6 games.

A little better than you had it down, no? Or do rushing tds not count?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. But no 11tds in 7 games is not nearly good enough. I'm not trying to bash Willy here. I'm a huge fan of his. but 2 tds a game isn't good enough.

Considering last year was his "rookie" year as a starter and was playing behind one of the shittiest front lines, and what he's done this year...this guy is going to be one of the great ones in a couple of years.  Especially if he's got a good OC and a decent Oline.  If it wasn't for the injuries, his stats would be much better.  And that's with a mediocre OC calling his plays.