Bombers interested in Jasper Simmons, UPDATE: Signed to PR

gbill2004

I'm wondering if the agent sees this as a case of desperate times call for desperate measures. It sounds like he tried to get something done quietly but when that didn't work, he went public. 

I think you are definitely on to something with that comment.

After scrolling thru his twitter posts, it looks like saying something moronic is his default setting rather than his final recourse.

I don't understand why any famous person who isn't directly making money off of social media, like a CFL player, uses a Twitter account.  There's really nothing to gain.

Ego.....massive egos believing that the whole world is hanging off their every word.

The same thing that drives people into radio jobs. 

Stamps need to do something. The number of players involved in the "discussion" has grown and it sure doesn't make the Stamps organization look good. 

Bo Levi is now involved in this twitter mess/entertainment. 

So it could be called "Twittertainment"?

I do feel bad for the guy. The guy did not ask to be traded from the redblacks, and didn't sign in Calgary. He was one team's MOP candidate and not getting a chance to play now.

He misses out on bonus money, because he's not dressing and not collecting stats. I'm sure his NFL dreams aren't dead either. Now he's not getting the chance to put some action on film for teams to see, decreasing his odds to catch some attention.

He's tried to do things behind the scenes but no luck, now he's taking it public to hope fore a better result. I too would be pissed if my employer sent me to another company where I wasn't being used properly and am now earning less money because of it.

I don't know much about him, but he's got to do what he's got to do to put food in his family's mouths.

A bit different than Grigsby in my opinion. This guy can play on any team in the league, can't say the same for Grigsby.

I do feel bad for the guy. The guy did not ask to be traded from the redblacks, and didn't sign in Calgary. He was one team's MOP candidate and not getting a chance to play now.

He misses out on bonus money, because he's not dressing and not collecting stats. I'm sure his NFL dreams aren't dead either. Now he's not getting the chance to put some action on film for teams to see, decreasing his odds to catch some attention.

He's tried to do things behind the scenes but no luck, now he's taking it public to hope fore a better result. I too would be pissed if my employer sent me to another company where I wasn't being used properly and am now earning less money because of it.

I don't know much about him, but he's got to do what he's got to do to put food in his family's mouths.

A bit different than Grigsby in my opinion. This guy can play on any team in the league, can't say the same for Grigsby.

Wow, poor guy. Can't beat out the starting linebackers in front of him. Didn't ask for a trade. He's a slave. Welcome to pro football.

Wow, poor guy. Can't beat out the starting linebackers in front of him. Didn't ask for a trade. He's a slave. Welcome to pro football.
Pretty harsh the guy just wants to play and if he is not good enough to even dress for Calgary let him play somewhere.These guys aren't making big bucks.

Pretty harsh the guy just wants to play and if he is not good enough to even dress for Calgary let him play somewhere.These guys aren't making big bucks.

Lots of guys are in Jasper Simmons' place & don't do what he & his agent did. Not everyone can play & start.They don't run to twitter & start bitching. If he's being held "hostage" by the Stamps like he claims & doesn't like it then he should quit & do something else with his life. In a story yesterday it was reported that Simmons is getting his full salary whether he dresses or not. So, this stuff about not being able to take care of his family is rubbish.

Two years ago Sean Lemon was backing up Corderro Law & wasn't dressing for games like Simmons is now. John Hufnagel said he was in his office every week complaining & saying he wanted to play. At the time, Lemon was extremely upset. Huff told him to be patient & continue to work hard. Well, Law left for the NFL & Lemon got his chance with the Stamps last season & had a great year. Now he's getting a shot with the 49ers. Lemon never bitched publicly like Simmons did or had his agent call out the Stampeders. He just went about his business & acted like a pro even though he was unhappy. Things certainly worked out for Lemon since. 

Lots of guys are in Jasper Simmons' place & don't do what he & his agent did. Not everyone can play & start.They don't run to twitter & start bitching. If he's being held "hostage" by the Stamps like he claims & doesn't like it then he should quit & do something else with his life. In a story yesterday it was reported that Simmons is getting his full salary whether he dresses or not. So, this stuff about not being able to take care of his family is rubbish.

Two years ago Sean Lemon was backing up Corderro Law & wasn't dressing for games like Simmons is now. John Hufnagel said he was in his office every week complaining & saying he wanted to play. At the time, Lemon was extremely upset. Huff told him to be patient & continue to work hard. Well, Law left for the NFL & Lemon got his chance with the Stamps last season & had a great year. Now he's getting a shot with the 49ers. Lemon never bitched publicly like Simmons did or had his agent call out the Stampeders. He just went about his business & acted like a pro even though he was unhappy. Things certainly worked out for Lemon since. 

I'm of the mind that you (nor I) are really in position to tell anyone else how they should or should not manage their life as it pertains to taking care of their family. Maybe he's getting his full salary - now what if he makes league minimum and his best way of making money is by being on the field, making plays?

Football is a fickle business and in a sport where contracts are not guaranteed, I don't ever criticize a player who decides to make a decision (whether I agree with it or not) to try and maximize their earning potential.

Any player not on the PR or suspended is still making his base salary.  Technically, as I understand the CBA (not much), PR players could also be making their base salary.  $750/wk is the minimum.  There is no mandated maximum.  Obviously making significant money on the PR is unlikely, but if $1000/wk is the difference between a player staying or leaving, a GM may choose to do it.

Every thing you said Mike is true. I just think it makes the player and the team to a certain extent look bad by going to the media. The other players piping in there was even worse. Seems unprofessional to me for this to be all over twitter. Maybe there have been various attempts behind closed doors to handle it, I don't know.

I'm of the mind that you (nor I) are really in position to tell anyone else how they should or should not manage their life as it pertains to taking care of their family. Maybe he's getting his full salary - now what if he makes league minimum and his best way of making money is by being on the field, making plays?

Football is a fickle business and in a sport where contracts are not guaranteed, I don't ever criticize a player who decides to make a decision (whether I agree with it or not) to try and maximize their earning potential.

Mike, he's under contract to the Stamps & getting paid. Were you saying that last year when Nic Grigsby walked into Osh's office & gave him a "Play me or release me" ultimatum? Everyone on this board called the guy a quitter when he was released. I don't recall you or very many defending Grigsby. How is this different? And since when is pro football all about equal playing time? Stamps are exceptionally strong at linebacker. Simmons has to do what others did in the past when in a similar situation. Work hard, continue to work hard, be patient, wait for  the opportunity & then make the most of it. Not cry about it on twitter. 

Mike, he's under contract to the Stamps & getting paid. Were you saying that last year when Nic Grigsby walked into Osh's office & gave him a "Play me or release me" ultimatum? Everyone on this board called the guy a quitter when he was released. I don't recall you or very many defending Grigsby. How is this different? And since when is pro football all about equal playing time? Stamps are exceptionally strong at linebacker. Simmons has to do what others did in the past when in a similar situation. Work hard, continue to work hard, be patient, wait for  the opportunity & then make the most of it. Not cry about it on twitter. 

If you're going to use a player to base your argument off of, Nic Grigsby is the last player I would use.

If you're going to use a player to base your argument off of, Nic Grigsby is the last player I would use.

Why, he's the perfect example. So basically what you're saying is because you hate Grigsby, demanding to play or else was unacceptable. But it's okay for Simmons to do the same thing with the Stamps because you neither like or dislike him? 

Grigsby chose to sign with Winnipeg. Simmons didn't ask to be traded to Calgary. All I know is I can sympathize with Simmons - he went from one of the best situations in the league to one of the worst for him personally. And we can talk about how exceptionally strong the Stamps are at linebacker all we want, he deserves to be on that roster - I have no idea why he isn't - and while he's maybe not going about it the best way, the end result is that this whole ordeal is going to give him what he wants.

I also think you using Shawn Lemon is a funny example considering before he went to Calgary, he was a Bomber and quit in a very Nic Grigsbyish fashion because he didn't immediately get playing time.

I think it can simply be summed up with one word: effort.

I can empathize with Simmons because of his effort and impact when he's on the field, practice etc.  Grigsby, on the other hand, simply checked out and his effort waned.  I can't respect that.  You may not be getting playing time but you damn well better do right by your teammates, coaches and the organization in the event you are called upon.

Grigsby chose to sign with Winnipeg. Simmons didn't ask to be traded to Calgary. All I know is I can sympathize with Simmons - he went from one of the best situations in the league to one of the worst for him personally. And we can talk about how exceptionally strong the Stamps are at linebacker all we want, he deserves to be on that roster - I have no idea why he isn't - and while he's maybe not going about it the best way, the end result is that this whole ordeal is going to give him what he wants.

Being the best player on a 2-16 team means what exactly? That doesn't tell me much.Going to the Stamps with Juwan Simpson, Keon Raymond & Deron Mayo starting at linebacker? Those guys are exceptional. Pro football is a business. Players get traded all the time. They have to deal with it. The Stamps traded for Simmons simply as a depth player. So, do you want CFL players now to have guaranteed money no trade contracts? If that's the case how many CFL players would veto a trade here? 

Grigsby was still dressing also no? Just wouldn't be starting.

Grigsby was still dressing also no? Just wouldn't be starting.

Yes,true. But the Stamps are paying Simmons his full salary not dressing. I empathize with him but he's going about this the wrong way. My understanding from what I heard on CHQR radio here in Calgary (Stamps play by play station) is that Huff has tried to trade Simmons the past 2 weeks but there's been no takers.