Drew Willy Watch 2.0

Unless you were sitting in that rain, you have no basis to talk about the first half stats. It was torrential and slicker than goose **** out there. Tough for anyone to get anything going...

Yeah I suspect that it probably didn't look so bad on TV because that always happens, but it rained steadily and heavily the entire first half and into the 3rd quarter. The first FG that was missed you could clearly tell that it was short simply on account of Lirim didn't trust his footing for ****. The ball was being dropped a ton, players didn't have great footing, or at least didn't trust their footing. Just an all around sloppy rainy day game as one might logically expect. Then the rain cleared off and the esks made some plays and the Bombers didn't.

And that is the problem exactly. There should be a debate. Because so far Drew Willy is not getting it done. He may be the best we've had in awhile but that does not place him above criticism and serious questioning - which has yet to occur. And if we don't debate it we'll stick with him and keep losing. I could go on about his shortcomings - taking too long to get the ball away, taking too long between snaps, not establishing any rhythm, NO ability to sustain a drive, not having that critical QB peripheral 6th sense, not having the killer foot-on-their-throat instinct etc ...  You don't agree? Watch Tedford and Lulay will demonstrate how a pro style offense is run on Thursday.

lol I like how you start talking about Willy, like it's all on him. But you tell us to look at an established starter AND his coach. Willy can only go as far as his OC. And MB has proven time and time again to have all the qualities your putting on Willy. Lots of us have been saying it since last year. This teams Offence will continue to struggle as long as MB is calling the plays. It is that simple. Willy has the talent to get the job done, MB does not. Willy has won inspite of his OC and lost/been injured because of him.

I'm thinking more and more that the team just doesn't have any kind of faith in Brohm at all. They play hard for Willy and they seemed to respond to Marve but when Brohm goes in it's all academic, everyone is playing with their heads up their asses. Once that happens it doesn't really matter how well the qb knows the offence. 

Completely agree... I get that the offense will be a little out-of-sync when there's a QB change... but for some reason it seems to affect the D and ST too... it's a little odd  

Brohm has compromising photos of the management, there is no other explanation as to why he is still quarterbacking this team!

gary lawless         @garylawless

O'Shea says Willy has told him today, "I think I'll be all right." #bombers if Willy can't go, O'Shea says Brohm will start. "Absolutely."

And that is the problem exactly. There should be a debate. Because so far Drew Willy is not getting it done. He may be the best we've had in awhile but that does not place him above criticism and serious questioning - which has yet to occur. And if we don't debate it we'll stick with him and keep losing. I could go on about his shortcomings - taking too long to get the ball away, taking too long between snaps, not establishing any rhythm, NO ability to sustain a drive, not having that critical QB peripheral 6th sense, not having the killer foot-on-their-throat instinct etc ...  You don't agree? Watch Tedford and Lulay will demonstrate how a pro style offense is run on Thursday.

lol I like how you start talking about Willy, like it's all on him. But you tell us to look at an established starter AND his coach. Willy can only go as far as his OC. And MB has proven time and time again to have all the qualities your putting on Willy. Lots of us have been saying it since last year. This teams Offence will continue to struggle as long as MB is calling the plays. It is that simple. Willy has the talent to get the job done, MB does not. Willy has won inspite of his OC and lost/been injured because of him.

Doug Brown agrees that Drew Willy takes too long to put the ball in play. Talking about the need for better pass protex for the big $$$ bombers are paying, Brown describes Willy as "a relatively immobile passer  ... who only plays at an elite level when given sufficient time in the pocket" and I've said for ages that Willy is the kind of QB who, if you give him more time, will, unfortunately, take it. But I agree that loss vs Esks was not on Willy or Brohm - despite what others are trying to make it out to be. You could say the battle was Bombers O vs Esks vaunted D and for sure the O as a group flunked. Our D and ST also gave up 32 points.

You've been harping on about Willy taking too long to throw forever now and while you're not wrong and I would like to see him speed up his progressions, you ignore the fact that he already has sped up his progressions substantially in the past year. You also feel the need to couple your justified criticism with nonsense like he takes too long between snaps (which often has shared fault and really, you're just saying this because of TWO instances), he can't get into a rhythm (he's completing 75% of his passes, so that indicates he's doing his part just fine), no ability to sustain a drive (got one of the lowest two-and-out rates in the league and has already manufactured 5 8+ play scoring drives in 15 quarters of play, which again is an above average rate) and not having the "6th sense" (which you have no clue about, to be entirely honest ... unless you're in the huddle of course)

Brohm has compromising photos of the management, there is no other explanation as to why he is still quarterbacking this team!

gary lawless         @garylawless

O'Shea says Willy has told him today, "I think I'll be all right." #bombers if Willy can't go, O'Shea says Brohm will start. "Absolutely."

Don't understand why MOS likes Brohm so much. Every game he's been in has gone downhill when it would have been close otherwise. Makes absolutely no sense not to try Marve.

Unless you were sitting in that rain, you have no basis to talk about the first half stats. It was torrential and slicker than goose **** out there. Tough for anyone to get anything going...

i sat through that first half with no umbrella or poncho, easily the worst rainy conditions i have ever personally watched a sports game in.  

....not to mention howling wind gusts 

Don't normally post this type of stuff .. but honestly .. if I have to sit through another Brohm **** show I am going to be less than impressed with O'Shea and the coaching staff.  

Agreed. I was all for giving the guy a chance. If he won the job out of camp, he won the job. So be it. But you can't honestly watch that guy play and think he's any good at this point. He's miserable. Boltus type levels of ineptitude.

Someone posted these stats on the cfl.ca forum:

With Willy at the helm the team has scored 2 points more than against.

With Brohm at the helm (in just over 60 minutes of play) we are -52 in point diff

I am simply gobsmacked that Brohm is still our back-up QB.

And Marve is +-0 at QB. Give the man a chance, MOS.

i sat through that first half with no umbrella or poncho, easily the worst rainy conditions i have ever personally watched a sports game in.  

....not to mention howling wind gusts 

Were you in/around Section W2? I saw what I thought was "a 6'5" guy in a Wild jersey" wandering the area a few times, and figured it might be you...

Brohm is simply terrible, and O'Shea's stubbornness on the matter makes him seem idiotic. Anyone who watches football knows this guy is not a legitimate #2 quarterback. I am losing patience with this aspect of O'Shea. I think we are being way too easy on him. You can't just shrug away all criticism game after game after game. The media should really be pushing harder to hold him accountable, I think.

Also, DoubleZero: you keep throwing out this "Brohm isn't the reason we lost" line. But it's kind of out of context. Most people aren't saying he is the SOLE reason we lost; we're just saying that he was a significant contributing factor. And he was. His play was mediocre. Like someone else said, I can agree with the premise that Willy is slightly overrated, but he is a better-than-average QB, and he is, by far, our best QB on the roster. If Willy's out, suggesting we give Marve some playing time isn't radical - it's logical, based on the numbers and performances we've seen. To put it technically, Brohm sucks, and Marve might give us a better chance to win. But we won't really know unless we actually put him in the game!

Don't normally post this type of stuff .. but honestly .. if I have to sit through another Brohm **** show I am going to be less than impressed with O'Shea and the coaching staff.

Brohm has been an absolute disaster in relief work, that is, combined with the dumbed-down play calling. I used to trust that Brohm would be better starting, because of more rep time, but that now has gone the way of the dodo. He simply should be better.

Marve should come in as relief. If only for a change of pace. But the thing is, is he ready for backup or just relief?

Which brings up our whole package of backup QBs. Certainly Marve should be in position to overtake Brohm for #2 by now. If he isn't, then something is wrong...the QBs...the assessment of the QBs, or the whole damned scenario.

I just find it hard to believe somebody, somewhere in the Org. (QB Coach, MB, MOS, Danny MaC) can't do something about this tenuous QB situation.

Yep, Brohm has pictures of O'Shea sitting on he toilet. He's threatened to post them on Twitter if he loses his backup job!

Seems a few others have taken the same pictures as in EJ and Hurl.

You've been harping on about Willy taking too long to throw forever now and while you're not wrong and I would like to see him speed up his progressions, you ignore the fact that he already has sped up his progressions substantially in the past year. You also feel the need to couple your justified criticism with nonsense like he takes too long between snaps (which often has shared fault and really, you're just saying this because of TWO instances), he can't get into a rhythm (he's completing 75% of his passes, so that indicates he's doing his part just fine), no ability to sustain a drive (got one of the lowest two-and-out rates in the league and has already manufactured 5 8+ play scoring drives in 15 quarters of play, which again is an above average rate) and not having the "6th sense" (which you have no clue about, to be entirely honest ... unless you're in the huddle of course)

He's only cost us two possible wins because of time count violations, that's true. I know some of that is waiting for Marcel to communicate the play. But even so DW takes the entire post-whistle 20 secs every play. That saps all momentum. Winnipeg employed a high-tempo hurry offence vs Sask for a few series and haven't gone back to it since. It appears they were focused on trying to address the sluggish tempo but that is down the tubes now. Willy does have a decent completion rate so far this season but the problem is they are the momentum sapping 6-7 yard outs coupled with the very occasional explosion. That does not amount to a sustained drive. But you play the card you are dealt. The more explosive teams in the CFL are coached by offensive minds - Huf, Tedford, Milanovich, and Austin - all ex QBs and those teams have quicker scramblers at the QB position in some ways better suited to the Canadian game. And please don't tell me what I have a clue about or don't as that's just ad hominem and contributes nothing to the conversation. 

I agree Brohm is terrible.  The only thing he's got going for him is the game he started last year when Willy was injured, Brohm looked good.  He moved the offense efficiently with quick passes. 

I think it might be a case where Marve should be our backup if something happens in-game.  But if Willy is out the entire week, leading up to the game, then maybe you go with Brohm.  Some QBs are better stepping into the fire (Marve), and some need a full week of practice to be prepared to and to perform (Brohm). 

He's only cost us two possible wins because of time count violations, that's true. I know some of that is waiting for Marcel to communicate the play. But even so DW takes the entire post-whistle 20 secs every play. That saps all momentum. Winnipeg employed a high-tempo hurry offence vs Sask for a few series and haven't gone back to it since. It appears they were focused on trying to address the sluggish tempo but that is down the tubes now. Willy does have a decent completion rate so far this season but the problem is they are the momentum sapping 6-7 yard outs coupled with the very occasional explosion. That does not amount to a sustained drive. But you play the card you are dealt. The more explosive teams in the CFL are coached by offensive minds - Huf, Tedford, Milanovich, and Austin - all ex QBs and those teams have quicker scramblers at the QB position in some ways better suited to the Canadian game. And please don't tell me what I have a clue about or don't as that's just ad hominem and contributes nothing to the conversation. 

Like best in the entire league going into the Edmonton game. 

Come to think of it, for all the Brohm-haters out there (like me), maybe this should be a perfect time to let him be the starting QB this Thursday to make a case for himself.

If he shown good and move the O down the field, then it's good for him and the team.

But I doubt he will show anything better than what he has shown so far, and this is I'm hoping what will happen so Marve can take over the game and got a good chance to move up to #2 behind Willy.

I think it might be a case where Marve should be our backup if something happens in-game.  But if Willy is out the entire week, leading up to the game, then maybe you go with Brohm.  Some QBs are better stepping into the fire (Marve), and some need a full week of practice to be prepared to and to perform (Brohm). 

I know the intent of this wasn't necessarily to say Marve isn't suited to start games, but I think it's a bit early to say to split the back up role up when Marve has never had any opportunity to start a game or be the true backup

But then again I'm in the play Marve camp more because I don't want to see Brohm on the field in any situation. I can't see how he could be worse than Brohm, so even if we know Willy is out and have a full week of prep, I'd rather see them go with Marve and see how it plays out.