Drew Willy Watch 2.0

Come to think of it, for all the Brohm-haters out there (like me), maybe this should be a perfect time to let him be the starting QB this Thursday to make a case for himself.

If he shown good and move the O down the field, then it's good for him and the team.

But I doubt he will show anything better than what he has shown so far, and this is I'm hoping what will happen so Marve can take over the game and got a good chance to move up to #2 behind Willy.

Willy's starting so none of this matters.

You've been harping on about Willy taking too long to throw forever now and while you're not wrong and I would like to see him speed up his progressions, you ignore the fact that he already has sped up his progressions substantially in the past year. You also feel the need to couple your justified criticism with nonsense like he takes too long between snaps (which often has shared fault and really, you're just saying this because of TWO instances), he can't get into a rhythm (he's completing 75% of his passes, so that indicates he's doing his part just fine), no ability to sustain a drive (got one of the lowest two-and-out rates in the league and has already manufactured 5 8+ play scoring drives in 15 quarters of play, which again is an above average rate) and not having the "6th sense" (which you have no clue about, to be entirely honest ... unless you're in the huddle of course)

He's only cost us two possible wins because of time count violations, that's true. I know some of that is waiting for Marcel to communicate the play. But even so DW takes the entire post-whistle 20 secs every play. That saps all momentum. Winnipeg employed a high-tempo hurry offence vs Sask for a few series and haven't gone back to it since. It appears they were focused on trying to address the sluggish tempo but that is down the tubes now. Willy does have a decent completion rate so far this season but the problem is they are the momentum sapping 6-7 yard outs coupled with the very occasional explosion. That does not amount to a sustained drive. But you play the card you are dealt. The more explosive teams in the CFL are coached by offensive minds - Huf, Tedford, Milanovich, and Austin - all ex QBs and those teams have quicker scramblers at the QB position in some ways better suited to the Canadian game. And please don't tell me what I have a clue about or don't as that's just ad hominem and contributes nothing to the conversation. 

Like best in the entire league going into the Edmonton game. 

If the "best" completion rate doesn't translate into WINS then that's not a terribly meaningful stat, is it? Sask leads the league right now in total offence per game (YPG) and in both passing and rushing categories. But look: they are 0-5. Willy's completion rate could be through the roof but that doesn't mean he's going to get better as a pro QB in the CFL - and he needs to get a lot better before the Bombers become any kind of meaningful offensive threat.

At this point of the season, and considering what has happened in the past, if Brohm gets in this game and makes a major mistake the fans will let him have it. Rightly or wrongly, Bomber fans don't have much mercy on QBs who don't perform, and Brohm is at that point where he will no longer be tolerated by our fans....so...maybe the best thing for our organization is to start him this game!

You've been harping on about Willy taking too long to throw forever now and while you're not wrong and I would like to see him speed up his progressions, you ignore the fact that he already has sped up his progressions substantially in the past year. You also feel the need to couple your justified criticism with nonsense like he takes too long between snaps (which often has shared fault and really, you're just saying this because of TWO instances), he can't get into a rhythm (he's completing 75% of his passes, so that indicates he's doing his part just fine), no ability to sustain a drive (got one of the lowest two-and-out rates in the league and has already manufactured 5 8+ play scoring drives in 15 quarters of play, which again is an above average rate) and not having the "6th sense" (which you have no clue about, to be entirely honest ... unless you're in the huddle of course)

He's only cost us two possible wins because of time count violations, that's true. I know some of that is waiting for Marcel to communicate the play. But even so DW takes the entire post-whistle 20 secs every play. That saps all momentum. Winnipeg employed a high-tempo hurry offence vs Sask for a few series and haven't gone back to it since. It appears they were focused on trying to address the sluggish tempo but that is down the tubes now. Willy does have a decent completion rate so far this season but the problem is they are the momentum sapping 6-7 yard outs coupled with the very occasional explosion. That does not amount to a sustained drive. But you play the card you are dealt. The more explosive teams in the CFL are coached by offensive minds - Huf, Tedford, Milanovich, and Austin - all ex QBs and those teams have quicker scramblers at the QB position in some ways better suited to the Canadian game. And please don't tell me what I have a clue about or don't as that's just ad hominem and contributes nothing to the conversation.

Like best in the entire league going into the Edmonton game.

If the "best" completion rate doesn't translate into WINS then that's not a terribly meaningful stat, is it? Sask leads the league right now in total offence per game (YPG) and in both passing and rushing categories. But look: they are 0-5. Willy's completion rate could be through the roof but that doesn't mean he's going to get better as a pro QB in the CFL - and he needs to get a lot better before the Bombers become any kind of meaningful offensive threat.
I was commenting on your reference to his "decent" completion percentage.

Is this official? If so I nominate Willy for the best impersonation of this guy:

Gumby_sm.png

Where is Cactus Jack when you need him?  Gumby would be a great nick-name for Willy!  The guy just keeps getting smoked and his legs bend every which way, and yet he just keeps going!

Is this official? If so I nominate Willy for the best impersonation of this guy:

Gumby_sm.png

Where is Cactus Jack when you need him? Gumby would be a great nick-name for Willy!

Watching O'Sheas presser today, I'd be shocked if Willy doesn't play this week.

If Brohm is starting I want him to be left in the whole game to just let him bury himself deeper to put the final nail in this guy's career. We're gonna be screwed anyway if he plays more than a half.

Do you honestly think even if he sucks, he will boltus himself off the roster?  It may take MB being shown the door before this happens.

If Brohm is starting I want him to be left in the whole game to just let him bury himself deeper to put the final nail in this guy's career. We're gonna be screwed anyway if he plays more than a half.

Do you honestly think even if he sucks, he will Boltus himself off the roster?  It may take MB being shown the door before this happens.

I suspect this will be the case, but I fear what it will do to team confidence if Brohm either starts or comes on in relief and craps the bed as his history predicts. We fans huff and puff but the real damage would probably come in the evaporation of whatever respect the players have left in the coaches (and GM) to make the team competitive. One more shellacking at the hands of a mediocre team like BC would be really hard on the players and might be enough to convince them that its next year country.

The disturbing fact is the Blue Bombers wont go anywhere without Willy. Brohm is god awful and for some reason the coaching staff doesn't see it. His release is slow, his footwork is sloppy and slow, his arm is mediocre at best, and he locks onto his target. Willy certainly isn't an elite quarterback in this league yet. He tends to not always progress through his targets, and gets happy feet in the pocket but he gives us by far the best chance to win game in and game out. I think part of the problem on offense is that although our offensive line is better then it was last year, its very much still a work in progress. Part of the problem is also our predictable and vanilla play calling. I feel like the Edmonton coaches used their play calling in a way that utilized their players strengths. Anyways sadly we need Willy if we're going to be competitive in any football game but there's certainly underlining issues with this club. 

The disturbing fact is the Blue Bombers wont go anywhere without Willy. Brohm is god awful and for some reason the coaching staff doesn't see it. His release is slow, his footwork is sloppy and slow, his arm is mediocre at best, and he locks onto his target. Willy certainly isn't an elite quarterback in this league yet. He tends to not always progress through his targets, and gets happy feet in the pocket but he gives us by far the best chance to win game in and game out. I think part of the problem on offense is that although our offensive line is better then it was last year, its very much still a work in progress. Part of the problem is also our predictable and vanilla play calling. I feel like the Edmonton coaches used their play calling in a way that utilized their players strengths. Anyways sadly we need Willy if we're going to be competitive in any football game but there's certainly underlining issues with this club. 

That second and 3 play, where Edmonton stacked the box, and Willy handed off to Cotton for a two yard loss, just had me screaming at the TV.  Everyone knew a hand-off was coming, and yet MB just made Willy do it anyway.  Same with the hand-off to Marshall on the 3 yard line.  Brohm should have had AT&T on his helmet, he was telegraphing that play so much.

At this point, I think my favourite thing would be Brohm starting and lighting up the Leos on Thursday, just so I could watch this anthill....

The only way this happens is if BC steps off the field while our offense is out there.  Even then I could see Brohm throwing three picks, all to the refs.

That second and 3 play, where Edmonton stacked the box, and Willy handed off to Cotton for a two yard loss, just had me screaming at the TV.  Everyone knew a hand-off was coming, and yet MB just made Willy do it anyway.  Same with the hand-off to Marshall on the 3 yard line.  Brohm should have had AT&T on his helmet, he was telegraphing that play so much.

I do hate the way we run the ball. Where's the sweeps? Counters? Off tackle runs. Seems like shot gun formation run up the middle every time. No imagination. No variation. That falls on the coaching staff.

Believe me I was ranting at it in the stadium too. they had it listed as 2nd and 2 on the board there and I said to Noeller "just watch, hand off to Cotton up the middle and stuffed" sure enough hand off up the middle and nothing doing. I know you should be able to get 2 yards out of your OL and RB, but come on, at least make the defence unsure what you're going to do. Everyone and their dog knew what play was coming there. 

Our offensive line is not better, it's more expensive for sure.  Our quarterback is moving the ball out faster when he isn't picking a snap off the top of his cleats.  Our offensive line is pathetic.  We have two guys who either aren't able to or just aren't doing their jobs in terms of blocking in Greaves and Picard.  Chungh works really hard and has lots of potential, but still learning.  Tackles have been good, but doesn't matter much when your interior is getting blown back into the QB's throwing motion a dozen times a game.

Having watched Picard for years I believe he now has negative value when he's on the field.  The best thing about him was always his consistent snapping, and now that's not so hot either.  He's always been SOL if he gets isolated by a DT.  

Our running backs are mostly on their own, if they are lucky our 5 OL can handle the 3-4 guys in the first level.

The predictablity on that running play was so obvious that I believe even Suitor called it. It looks like Mr. Bellefeille has outstayed his welcome here.

It was actually Dunigan on the colour, and it was something like "if Winnipeg wants to run the ball here, they should probably take a look at the nine guys that are standing on the other side of the line expecting it to come."  Then Matt went ape-**** going on about how great the Edmonton defence pounced on Cotton.  Of course they looked awesome.  They knew it was coming and there weren't enough blockers to counter-act the rush.  A five-year old would have seen that that play wasn't going to work.   And what's frustrating is that we do this, over and over again.  No adjustment.  No learning.  Just repeat and fail, repeat and fail.

Even if he starts, with a bad knee I just can't see how Willy is going to be able to be mobile enough to get away from the rush or extend a play

if he has to. I'm worried that he'll be a sitting duck out there & could suffer a more serious injury. Then he'll be gone for an extended period & well be SOL.

The predictablity on that running play was so obvious that I believe even Suitor called it. It looks like Mr. Bellefeille has outstayed his welcome here.

It was actually Dunigan on the colour, and it was something like "if Winnipeg wants to run the ball here, they should probably take a look at the nine guys that are standing on the other side of the line expecting it to come."  Then Matt went ape-**** going on about how great the Edmonton defence pounced on Cotton.  Of course they looked awesome.  They knew it was coming and there weren't enough blockers to counter-act the rush.  A five-year old would have seen that that play wasn't going to work.   And what's frustrating is that we do this, over and over again.  No adjustment.  No learning.  Just repeat and fail, repeat and fail.

I stand corrected. Still, this scenario about the Bomber offence being painfully obvious to all and sundry is all too familiar for too many years.

Listen Brohm will be fine didn't you hear he is gonna work on his accuracy. It's tough to tell where the dirt ends and the receiver or dB begins.....

Let's see... memorize playbook by Tuesday, work on accuracy Wednesday, play Thursday...  totally doable.