Drew Willy Watch 2.0

Brohm is simply terrible, and O'Shea's stubbornness on the matter makes him seem idiotic. Anyone who watches football knows this guy is not a legitimate #2 quarterback. I am losing patience with this aspect of O'Shea. I think we are being way too easy on him. You can't just shrug away all criticism game after game after game. The media should really be pushing harder to hold him accountable, I think.

Also, DoubleZero: you keep throwing out this "Brohm isn't the reason we lost" line. But it's kind of out of context. Most people aren't saying he is the SOLE reason we lost; we're just saying that he was a significant contributing factor. And he was. His play was mediocre. Like someone else said, I can agree with the premise that Willy is slightly overrated, but he is a better-than-average QB, and he is, by far, our best QB on the roster. If Willy's out, suggesting we give Marve some playing time isn't radical - it's logical, based on the numbers and performances we've seen. To put it technically, Brohm sucks, and Marve might give us a better chance to win. But we won't really know unless we actually put him in the game!

Folks blaming Brohm for that loss vs Edmonton are mistaken, plain and simple. It is easy to want to settle on a scapegoat but that is all it is. Consider this: It was raining like hell in that game and it should have been a battle of the running backs. But our RBs ran for less than 100 yards on a total of 13 combined attempts. Not enough run attempts or run efficiency given the conditions. Why? And how's that on Brohm? Did Brohm take 18 penalties for 170 yards? Not on my TV. How about ST and field position? Kendial Lawrence ran back 9 punts for 137 yards. Stoudermire was a measly 5 KR for 16 yards. How is that on Brohm? Brohm wasn't even on the field for almost 2/3 of the game when it was Nichols vs Willy. But Nichols was 17/25 for 196 vs Willy's 7/17 for 71. Is that on Brohm? I guess if you're a Brohm hater it is. Really, if you're looking for a Winnipeg QB to be your scapegoat then take your pick. It was 4-3 Esks at halftime. LH got one FG and missed the other. How's that on Brohm? Willy didn't score a TD did he? In fact Drew Willy hasn't manufactured a single TD vs Edmonton in his three starts against them. Even if you take out the first half of the game and only look at the second half you see that Brohm wasn't covering Kenny Stafford for that 15 yard TD strike from Franklin. Nor was Brohm covering Bowman on another Esks short field TD. And if you want to look at QB numbers for the heroic Franklin vs the evil Brohm they aren't that different: Franklin 5/8 for 81 and Brohm 9/19 for 71. Franklin on a short field Brohm almost always backed up to his own goal post. Yup, Brohm gave up 2 picks and one of them was a pop up from Richards, which eventually led to a TD against us. Look, maybe Willy gives us the best chance to win, but if you look at it objectively Brohm seems to be able to read blitz better than Willy and makes his progressions faster than Willy and also brings a bit more tempo to the O. Seeing that, as long was we are employing an offence designed around a fairly immobile 3-step pocket QB I'd be willing to give Brohm more game reps because I also like his throwing mechanics and believe his accuracy problems are correctable. I know I'm in the minority but so be it. Now if Winnipeg wants to join the elite offences in the league like Ham Tor Cgy and BC (all coached by exQBs) then you need a different style of QB than either Willy or Brohm. But that's a different thread altogether.

Brohm is simply terrible, and O'Shea's stubbornness on the matter makes him seem idiotic. Anyone who watches football knows this guy is not a legitimate #2 quarterback. I am losing patience with this aspect of O'Shea. I think we are being way too easy on him. You can't just shrug away all criticism game after game after game. The media should really be pushing harder to hold him accountable, I think.

Also, DoubleZero: you keep throwing out this "Brohm isn't the reason we lost" line. But it's kind of out of context. Most people aren't saying he is the SOLE reason we lost; we're just saying that he was a significant contributing factor. And he was. His play was mediocre. Like someone else said, I can agree with the premise that Willy is slightly overrated, but he is a better-than-average QB, and he is, by far, our best QB on the roster. If Willy's out, suggesting we give Marve some playing time isn't radical - it's logical, based on the numbers and performances we've seen. To put it technically, Brohm sucks, and Marve might give us a better chance to win. But we won't really know unless we actually put him in the game!

Folks blaming Brohm for that loss vs Edmonton are mistaken, plain and simple. It is easy to want to settle on a scapegoat but that is all it is. Consider this: It was raining like hell in that game and it should have been a battle of the running backs.

... which you conveniently ignored when you criticized Willy for his poor numbers, but seem to be willing to apply to Brohm despite the fact that it wasn't actually raining when he was in the game?

:lol:

Good grief you've got one obvious agenda.

The disturbing fact is the Blue Bombers wont go anywhere without Willy. Brohm is god awful and for some reason the coaching staff doesn't see it. His release is slow, his footwork is sloppy and slow, his arm is mediocre at best, and he locks onto his target. Willy certainly isn't an elite quarterback in this league yet. He tends to not always progress through his targets, and gets happy feet in the pocket but he gives us by far the best chance to win game in and game out. I think part of the problem on offense is that although our offensive line is better then it was last year, its very much still a work in progress. Part of the problem is also our predictable and vanilla play calling. I feel like the Edmonton coaches used their play calling in a way that utilized their players strengths. Anyways sadly we need Willy if we're going to be competitive in any football game but there's certainly underlining issues with this club.

That second and 3 play, where Edmonton stacked the box, and Willy handed off to Cotton for a two yard loss, just had me screaming at the TV.  Everyone knew a hand-off was coming, and yet MB just made Willy do it anyway.  Same with the hand-off to Marshall on the 3 yard line.  Brohm should have had AT&T on his helmet, he was telegraphing that play so much.

I do hate the way we run the ball. Where's the sweeps? Counters? Off tackle runs. Seems like shot gun formation run up the middle every time. No imagination. No variation. That falls on the coaching staff.
Our left tackle was embarrassing and our centre was constantly shoved backwards without any resistance..

But yup, we shoulda been running off tackle for losses. Seems wise.

You thought Bryant was embarrassing. Not what I was watching. Our OL had an overall poor game, but they are infinitely better than last year's line. I expected better run blocking than what we are getting though.

I think *hope* he meant RT... Devin Tyler... then I would agree...

Yup.. My apologies, brain didn't click on that one apparently. Thanks guys

Folks blaming Brohm for that loss vs Edmonton are mistaken, plain and simple. It is easy to want to settle on a scapegoat but that is all it is. Consider this: It was raining like hell in that game and it should have been a battle of the running backs. But our RBs ran for less than 100 yards on a total of 13 combined attempts. Not enough run attempts or run efficiency given the conditions. Why? And how's that on Brohm? Did Brohm take 18 penalties for 170 yards? Not on my TV. How about ST and field position? Kendial Lawrence ran back 9 punts for 137 yards. Stoudermire was a measly 5 KR for 16 yards. How is that on Brohm? Brohm wasn't even on the field for almost 2/3 of the game when it was Nichols vs Willy. But Nichols was 17/25 for 196 vs Willy's 7/17 for 71. Is that on Brohm? I guess if you're a Brohm hater it is. Really, if you're looking for a Winnipeg QB to be your scapegoat then take your pick. It was 4-3 Esks at halftime. LH got one FG and missed the other. How's that on Brohm? Willy didn't score a TD did he? In fact Drew Willy hasn't manufactured a single TD vs Edmonton in his three starts against them. Even if you take out the first half of the game and only look at the second half you see that Brohm wasn't covering Kenny Stafford for that 15 yard TD strike from Franklin. Nor was Brohm covering Bowman on another Esks short field TD. And if you want to look at QB numbers for the heroic Franklin vs the evil Brohm they aren't that different: Franklin 5/8 for 81 and Brohm 9/19 for 71. Franklin on a short field Brohm almost always backed up to his own goal post. Yup, Brohm gave up 2 picks and one of them was a pop up from Richards, which eventually led to a TD against us. Look, maybe Willy gives us the best chance to win, but if you look at it objectively Brohm seems to be able to read blitz better than Willy and makes his progressions faster than Willy and also brings a bit more tempo to the O. Seeing that, as long was we are employing an offence designed around a fairly immobile 3-step pocket QB I'd be willing to give Brohm more game reps because I also like his throwing mechanics and believe his accuracy problems are correctable. I know I'm in the minority but so be it. Now if Winnipeg wants to join the elite offences in the league like Ham Tor Cgy and BC (all coached by exQBs) then you need a different style of QB than either Willy or Brohm. But that's a different thread altogether.

Yikes. Just yikes. You are either the president of the Brian Brohm fan club or should be. You definitely were watching the game through some different colored glasses than pretty much everyone else except for maybe Brohm's mom.