Around the CFL Regular Season Discussion

The one thing Burke was good at was throwing people under the bus. 

I don't know about that.  I wouldn't ever want to enter into a thousand yard staring contest with him, especially during a game while he was coaching.

Or a hangdog staredown......

The one thing Burke was good at was throwing people under the bus. 

I don't know about that.  I wouldn't ever want to enter into a thousand yard staring contest with him, especially during a game while he was coaching.

Or a hangdog staredown......

Deputy Dawg might give Burke a run for his money.

McCoil filed a grievance with the CFLPA alleging that the Eskimos didn't offer him a 1+1 (which would allow him to pursue NFL interests after this season) .. says was only given a 2+1 ,, Hervey now needs to prove that a 1+1 was offered and that McCoil refused it.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why in the world would Hervey have to prove anything.  A contract was offered and accepted.  If the player wants a 1+1 then the player should demand it and refuse to accept the offer on the table.   

Hervey is in a bit of hot water with respect the the McCoil contract situation .. not speaking to media after practice today.

what's the low-down? What happened?
McCoil and his new agent say the Eskimos didn't offer him a 1 year plus option contract when he signed like they are suppose to do so they've asked the CFLPA to look into it to see if they can file a grievance. If it's found that McCoil wasn't offered the 1 + 1 deal he would become an FA in February.

McCoil filed a grievance with the CFLPA alleging that the Eskimos didn't offer him a 1+1 (which would allow him to pursue NFL interests after this season) .. says was only given a 2+1 ,, Hervey now needs to prove that a 1+1 was offered and that McCoil refused it.

Tired of the CFL being a quick stepping stone for player's NFL aspirations with little benefit returned.  I would like to see the standard contract fixed at 2+1 and if a player can't make that commitment, so be it.  Plenty of others will and 7-11 job opportunities for unemployed football players are apparently unlimited. 

Maybe Rennie Curran has offered McCoil a partnership in his motivational speaking business.

I also am frustrated with the CFL losing players to NFL practice rosters.  Its a sad state of affairs to see players leave for more money to just sit and do nothing in the NFL.  All you have to do is watch HBO's "Ballers" to see what US players think of the CFL, as if we didn't already know.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why in the world would Hervey have to prove anything.  A contract was offered and accepted.  If the player wants a 1+1 then the player should demand it and refuse to accept the offer on the table.   

It's just the process as I understand it (and as it was reported).

Yeah I don't understand that either. Is there anyone who can explain the reasoning behind that? If Edmonton only offers 2+1 shouldn't it be up to the player and his representation to say "I want a 1+1 contract? 

Yeah I don't understand that either. Is there anyone who can explain the reasoning behind that? If Edmonton only offers 2+1 shouldn't it be up to the player and his representation to say "I want a 1+1 contract? 

I suspect Hervey told him he couldn't offer the 1 plus 1 and that is the heart of the issue. Wasn't that the driving force between whatshisname and the tiger cats when he alleged the same thing, that Austin hadn't offered him the 1 plus 1? I could be out to lunch here.

I suspect Hervey told him he couldn't offer the 1 plus 1 and that is the heart of the issue. Wasn't that the driving force between whatshisname and the tiger cats when he alleged the same thing, that Austin hadn't offered him the 1 plus 1? I could be out to lunch here.

Williams fought the same thing while he was with the Cats.

Williams fought the same thing while he was with the Cats.

Williams had no case. But from what I gather McCoil signed on May 31st and new CBA was ratified on June 13 which demands teams offer the 1 plus 1. So technically McCoil really doesn't have a case either, hence the I'm not suing comment.

Williams had no case? He won.

Well .. technically he won .. he and the Tigercats reached an agreement that he would be allowed to explore NFL opportunities that offseason and that if he wanted to play in the CFL in either 2013-14 he would do so in Hamilton.

Not offseason. He signed with the Saints in October while the CFL season was still going. He wanted out of his deal to sign in the NFL and he did. He won. No technically about it.

He was suspending by the Cats for not showing up to camp or having any sort of contact with the organization for those three months .. ultimately an independent arbiter found that the contract was legal and binding (though a judge later found that Williams was not legally bound by the terms of his contract) .. the CFL was going to appeal the decision but the Cats and Williams reached an agreement to let him explore NFL opportunities .. if he wanted to play in either 2013-14 he had to play for the Cats .. that was their agreement. 

So yes, he was allowed to take a shot down south but he had agreed to come back and play out the original term of his contract in Hamilton (meaning his contract tolled while he was exploring his opportunities - he could have realistically sat at home under the guise of exploring NFL interest and not reported back to the CFL for those years).  "Off season" is simply a poor choice of words on my part.