CFL Opening Week - OTT at MTL / HAM at CGY / EDM at TOR

do we see the umpteenth return of one of the following; Brink, Elliott or Goltz?

If I were Popp it would probably be Elliott, but I'm curious to see what this Cato guy has that their fans are talking about.

Like I said though, this assumption that the Als stay in the basement this season is too premature.  They were arguably worse at this time last year and still found a way to get it done.  It's just too premature to count em out yet.

both teams were absolutely terrible. Ottawa won but what an empty win when your qb plays THAT badly. I'd suspect that had Crompton not got hurt the Als hang on to win because Bridge threw nothing but ducks and had some big catches to bail him out. That guy is not ready to be a CFL qb. 

both teams were absolutely terrible. Ottawa won but what an empty win when your qb plays THAT badly. I'd suspect that had Crompton not got hurt the Als hang on to win because Bridge threw nothing but ducks and had some big catches to bail him out. That guy is not ready to be a CFL qb.

Maybe but the thing is, Crompton was even worse before he got hurt.

Was he really worse though? Yeah he had some trouble but the Montreal O did move a little bit with him in there. 

It's hard to say.  He was the horse they rode 2nd half of last year and it worked.  His numbers never have been great but he's always seemed to do enough to get the job done.

What's been a bafflement to the Als is that since Calvillo retired, why is it that they've lacked continuity now from every QB including the ones that looked so promising?

For example, in 2013 after Calvillo, Neiswander, and Marsh all got hurt, they found Troy Smith, he played pretty good, looked like he was the QB of the future, and then the next year fizzled out completely and has now left the CFL.  Then of course it was Crompton last year who got dubbed the man and was workin for them, but now he's been put on the short rope.

I think one of the problems has been the offensive coordinator carousel that's gone around now for the last few years, from the Hawkins situation in 2013 and that turnover and the eventual bringing back in of Doug Berry, to then going to Worman, firing him before the season started, then bringing in Schonert and Garcia.

I guess maybe that brings me to the question of how much was last year's offensive turnaround the work of Garcia, and how much was Schonert.  Because Schonert last night didn't look nearly as competent of an OC as he did last year and perhaps not having Garcia's brains to pick has hurt more than they thought.

It's still early though, and although their defense didn't play good last night, Noel Thorpe has been one of the best in the league the last few years and I'd have a hard time believing that at some point the D won't get turned around again.  I see this happen all the time though, teams look dead early but then turn it around midseason.

Will Brendan Taman deal Kevin Glenn to the Alouettes?

A fair deal, but if Turner knocks Durant out again tomorrow, that thing that happened last year causing the Riders to be QB-less, they're in big trouble, and that's why Taman got Glenn in the first place.  I think he'd try to hold onto him at all costs.

Was he really worse though? Yeah he had some trouble but the Montreal O did move a little bit with him in there. 

It's hard to say.  He was the horse they rode 2nd half of last year and it worked.  His numbers never have been great but he's always seemed to do enough to get the job done.

What's been a bafflement to the Als is that since Calvillo retired, why is it that they've lacked continuity now from every QB including the ones that looked so promising?

For example, in 2013 after Calvillo, Neiswander, and Marsh all got hurt, they found Troy Smith, he played pretty good, looked like he was the QB of the future, and then the next year fizzled out completely and has now left the CFL.  Then of course it was Crompton last year who got dubbed the man and was workin for them, but now he's been put on the short rope.

I think one of the problems has been the offensive coordinator carousel that's gone around now for the last few years, from the Hawkins situation in 2013 and that turnover and the eventual bringing back in of Doug Berry, to then going to Worman, firing him before the season started, then bringing in Schonert and Garcia.

I guess maybe that brings me to the question of how much was last year's offensive turnaround the work of Garcia, and how much was Schonert.  Because Schonert last night didn't look nearly as competent of an OC as he did last year and perhaps not having Garcia's brains to pick has hurt more than they thought.

It's still early though, and although their defense didn't play good last night, Noel Thorpe has been one of the best in the league the last few years and I'd have a hard time believing that at some point the D won't get turned around again.  I see this happen all the time though, teams look dead early but then turn it around midseason.

99% luck, 1% bafflement :huh:

Crompton is somewhat predictable in what he will bring, so they could build an offence around him where they couldn't around Smith.  At his best he's well below average, but I think defenses are going to press him and make him basically useless in 2015.  Hard situation for any OC.  What play do you call when your QB doesn't have enough strengths to make anything work?  You can only throw a swing pass or screen pass so many times.

This should be example #1 of how much harder it is to be a qb teams have film on vs. coming in as an unknown. 

More an example of what rust looks like.  DC's had film on Crompton after his first game in Montreal last year.  You saying they didn't look at it until the offseason?  ;)

Eating motion's taunting  Really?  Oh well, gotta assume the players were told about it in TC.

The stroll into Ottawa's bench to make an eating motion is why it was a penalty.  If he's doing it walking in the other direction - no penalty.

I start the season 0 for 1 like most.

0-4 looks very possible for me.  Not sure why I took both east teams over west.

Wow! The Alouettes are in big trouble and many here predicted that they would go into a tailspin as soon as Calvillo pulled the plug. When Calvillo signed in Montreal he'd already had his baptism of fire with other teams and Popp got very, very lucky. There was no succession plan here so Popp deserves what he gets. This train was coming for years and Popp did not get out of the way. Don't think Mr. Popp is going to be sleeping well for awhile.

1.  I don't think we as Bomber fans have any room to talk about the Als.

Think about this guys, They've been making the playoffs For the last 20 years in a row about, while we on the other hand, have only made them once in the last 6 years.  That's really sucky for me and I sure wish we had some of whatever it is they're doing.  Better not be counting them out yet or we're gonna end up looking like idiots again for saying it.

I sure hope the Bombers will not be starting out fast only to fade again like we did last year and 2011, but come on, let's get it right this time before we go criticizing other teams.

2.  The Stampeders and Tiger Cats game is a good one so this week of football is looking good so far.

1.  I don't think we as Bomber fans have any room to talk about the Als.

Think about this guys, They've been making the playoffs For the last 20 years in a row about, while we on the other hand, have only made them once in the last 6 years.  That's really sucky for me and I sure wish we had some of whatever it is they're doing.  Better not be counting them out yet or we're gonna end up looking like idiots again for saying it.

I sure hope the Bombers will not be starting out fast only to fade again like we did last year and 2011, but come on, let's get it right this time before we go criticizing other teams.

2.  The Stampeders and Tiger Cats game is a good one so this week of football is looking good so far.

yes we can.  the als suck!!!   ;)