Who gets the axe by Monday?

Mike

Really surprised they cut Allen and Lamar, thought they both did well in game 1.

Even more surprised Patrick Hall is still on the team, though.

usually the one guy we have as a concensous cut around here sticks around.

They basically cleared out our import MLB prospects.  Bass is still here but I think he's been getting looks at WILL.  Pretty much confirms that Hurl is the guy.

From what I've been reading here Hurl was always the guy no matter what. He's Canadian and unless we somehow acquired Shea Emry no import is taking his spot. I firmly believe coaches, prior to TC even starting, slot out where the National's will be starting in the lineup. Only way it changes is injuries or if a National impresses so much at a (pre-selected) international position that he has to start ahead of the import will that change. 

Lets face it - GM and coach work together to not only bring the players for each position, but the depth for that position as well. When a National goes down, you need another National to step in to take his place. That is all planned out during the Winter so no way no how does a Sam Hurl not make this team as a starter (excluding injury of course). 

That's why some players we all think should be cut stick around - in the CFL it is definitely not 'Best Player' there are a lot more factors involved. One reason why I'd love to drop the 'National/International' rules. 

Clearing out the Import MLB's shouldn't be much of a surprise.  Hurl's been our MLB since the day he was signed.  Can't afford to have an import backup unless we start 8 NI's.  Even then, he'd have to be able to play more than just MLB to be useful.

Hall was beaten like a rented mule in preseason game 1.  Guess he's better in practice.  Still think he'll be gone by the end of the weekend.

Weakest RB and FB gone.  No suprises there.

Really surprised they cut Allen and Lamar, thought they both did well in game 1.

Even more surprised Patrick Hall is still on the team, though.

Well maybe Allen and Lamar aren't committed to Winnipeg and Hall is? It's a strong argument for cutting some and keeping others don't you know. 

Regarding Patrick Hall I think sometimes we as fans isolate a few plays from the pre-season games and view it as the entirety of the guy's camp effort without seeing the bigger picture.  

A guy has a big punt return and then we're shocked when he gets cut a couple days later.  Or a guy drops a pass and we assume he's gone.  But maybe the guy he's competing with dropped 10 x as many passes in practice.

So the coaches have seen Hall in coverage dozens of times a day.  Then re-seen it and re-seen it on film at night.  And yes there's an element of "when the lights come on" to be considered.  And yes maybe he'll get cut before long.  But all I'm suggesting is 3 plays does not a man make.  Even if those are the only three plays we noticed him.