TC Report - Day Four

Here's a good solid report from dabizz over at TEP

Made it out for the last hour and a half of practice today.  Saw a couple friends there so I didn't watch as closely as I would have liked but here are some things I noticed.  Spent most of the time watching the offense and specifically the receivers and the battle at RT.:

- The offense moved the ball really well in Skele and decently well in the scrimmage.  I didn't see much of the D-Line vs. O-line while they were going at it but while I did the D looked very good vs the run.  The same was true during the scrimmage.
- Jhomo Gordon ran with the ones at wideout in skele and in the scrimmage.  He saw the ball a couple times and made plays when he had the chance.  Nothing phenomenal but he was steady out there and showed some quickness.
- Dile was not out there during the scrimmage so Jace Daniels was in his place with Tyler at LT.  Daniels was solid in pass pro but struggled a bit against Westerman on a couple run plays.  Corey Lewis took 2nd string reps at RT.  He doesn't appear to move as well as Daniels but was solid in the run game.  From what I saw, I would have Daniels ahead of Lewis but neither were world-beaters out there.  Daniels did dominate Ivan Brown for about 4 plays in a row which might be expected but was good to see. 
- It would have been good to see how Dile and Tyler performed there but with Bryant out it was tough to get a decent read on Tyler while he was at LT.
- The biggest surprise of the day for me was how our depth guys at National Receiver played.  Reaves made a 3 straight catches in the skele and while he definitely didn't look polished he did make some plays.  Bastien had 2 catches in a row during skele, one of which was a big gainer.  He moves well for a bigger guy and looked clean in and out of his breaks.  Millington had a couple contested catches in the scrimmage, taking a bit of a thump from Brendan Morgan on one.  He also came back strong to the ball and layed out for a catch on an underthrown ball by Willy.  One of the best plays all day.
- Darvin Adams made a bit of a circus catch on the far sidelines in his first rep during the scrimmage.  Contested ball that he outfought the db for.  Couldn't catch a number on the db but it was solid coverage on the play.
- Tuinei is definitely big and while he didn't look particularly quick in and out of his cuts, he made Morgan miss and exploded down the field for a big play off a bubble screen.  Bit of a long strider like Greg Carr so once he gets going he runs like a horse.
- Mike Willie was a guy I was excited to take a look at.  He didn't look awful but I expected a bit more.  Was late getting his head around after doing a good job getting off a jam and had he been looking sooner or if the ball from Yantz was a little more accurate (or both), it would have been a big play.
- Moore looked smooth out there and was consistent catching the ball.  He's just so clean in and out of his breaks and makes it look effortless out there.  I have always been a big fan of Moore so take it for what it's worth but I think he could have a really strong year. 
- Feoli-Gudino had a drop today.  Ball was a touch behind him and the coverage was right there but was one he was upset to miss.  That's not like him at all and I would be surprised if he didn't bounce back strong tomorrow.
- QBs were accurate and making good decisions for most of the day.  Solid day from the group.  Yantz struggled a bit with his reads and accuracy and Brohm held the ball for a little long on a couple skele plays but for the most part I was satisfied with the group.  Portis had one really impressive throw where he spotted the ball well around a breaking db.  He also short-armed a ball in the scrimmmage but I think he could be effective if he gets a chance.
- didn't watch a ton of the defense today but took note of Thad Gibson taking starters reps at RE.  Kashawn Fraser made a couple splash plays and Westerman was solid.  Randle was with the ones at LB and looked steady.  Denicos Allen had a ball gifted to him by Yantz but dropped it.  Looked like it caught him a bit off guard.  He's a guy I will try to watch more of tomorrow.  Looked solid in the run game when I was watching and he definitely has the build of a thumper at MLB.
- Last thought is on Chris Greaves.  He doesn't get a ton of credit on the board and around the league but I think he should be recognized a bit more.  He works his butt off out there at every practice or TC day I've been to in the last couple years.  Stays after practice fairly regularly to work on his craft and leads by example in drills.  He might not be an all-star but his work ethic and attitude seem really strong from my point of view.

Good job by the club making the best of a tough situation with TC at the same time as FIFA.  Having some Tims Coffee out for people and having friendly volunteers there are the kind of little things which make a big difference.  For those upset with the view of the field, I understand your point as it would be nice to be able to see the field from a couple rows up but NFL OTA's and camps are often held in a similar manner.  It's still fun to be there and see the team competing.  I work shift work and have tomorrow off again so I will be back for most of the day if all goes to plan.  Go Blue!

And one from Nic16

And here's just a few personal notes of my own from dropping in for approx 2 hrs each day (despite the difficult viewing angle wink.gif )

- All 5 National receivers are looking good so far. I realize there is no superstars among them, but all 5 of them are catching what the QB's are throwing and contributing during skelly +/or 12v12 contact drills.
- Adams, Denmark & Moore have all looked very polished and have shown great hands.
- Tunei is looking like he would be a good fit with the above 3. A big rangy receiver with deceptive power & speed.
- The DL looks like it could now be a strength rather than a weakness. A nice mix of power & size in the inside, and speed & power on the outside.
- Lot's of LB depth and combinations, therefore hard to figure things out at times (the poor vantage point doesn"t help either). In the skill drills & 1v1's, Bass has shown real good quicks & power, and Wags is similar albeit on a lighter size scale. Allen has also shown flashes of what he can bring to the table.
- The DBs are a little tougher to judge at our vantage point & the speed at which things are happening. Sherman is getting a lot of work at S with Leggett out. Morgan is being used at CB & S, but has looked a little over matched on a few occasions. Jones is seeing a lot work at CB. Unamba is getting moved around all over. Overall, like I said a bit tough to judge at this point with all the bodies moving around, the vantage point & positional movement, but I'll try to watch the DB drills & during skelly a little more often. Sorry, but the O has been fun to watch. 
- Speaking of the O, it has been clicking early in TC. The experience of the QBs is showing, and the quality of receivers both NAT & INT has to be making Bellefuille smile. Lots to like about the O so far.

*Injury note: Picard was back in action today.

Big props to both of those guys.

You all need to remember that Neufeld was a guy Walters went out and got himself. He made a terrible trade to get the guy, GMs don't just cut guys they like that much even if it is the logical thing to do.

I'm still in the wait-and-see mode over that trade.

Hall is back in Sask., but is he back?

Neufeld....is he going to make it?

Still questions in my mind.

The draft picks involved turned out to be Ainsworth for S. and Normand for W, although those could have changed at any point.

You have to ask yourself...if you could get a potential starting NI O-line guy for an Amer. wouldn't you look carefully at pulling off that trade.

I know I would.

There is still potential return on Neufeld, and to me, that's not a terrible trade.

I think the less training camp reports come from a variety of things:

1) Location. Being on the sideline is great for some things, especially little details in drills and being so close to the players, but it just has a different feel to me than being in the stadium. It was nice having the ability to sit higher up sometimes to see things, move around depending on which positions and drills you wanted to see, etc. 

2) Because you can't see as much, naturally reports will decrease. There were some positions I just didn't get to watch much of in my two days earlier in the week. Next year it'll be back to normal so it'll probably help out a lot.

3) Its no secret our media is lazy. In years past, they would sit in a group usually high up in the first level of stands, or in the new stadium commonly on the concourse seats, and occasionally/infrequently (depending on the reporter) turn their head to watch the play. Now, they're even more disinterested in watching practice. They don't have chairs (from the reporters I've seen), which means they usually spend their time chatting and walking along the sideline, arranging their post-practice interviews. And they're getting the same tough sideline view as us. They're not going to actually work to provide more info to fans. Basically, they pick out who's not dressed and practicing and plan which generic questions they're going to ask the coaches.

I'll probably go this weekend once I can check out the practice times.

My point, and I will admit it is a weak one, is that if one of the tackles goes down during a game, Neufeld could slide out to the tackle position if need be.  Anyway, carry on...

Valid point but at the same time, I'm not convinced Neufeled would be rostered as the 6th olineman if he wasn't starting. 

Hypothetical here.

Bryant,Greaves,Picard,Chung,Daniels. Might make more sense to have Goossen as the 6th as he can play guard and center, Chung could probably swing out to tackle if need be too. 

I like Neufeld but if he can't stay healthy and well if he isn't healthy, he's as good as gone in my opinion, one way or the other... Personally, i'd prefer to trade him cuz surely we could get something back in return. 

At this point I believe every team would be skeptical about Neufeld's health and his contract so I doubt the Bombers could get anything for him.  If they need another National backup bring back Morley at a reduced rate.

Neufeld is apparently making $140,000 K. Maybe you keep him on the 6 game IR but I'm not sure you can pay the 6th OL that much. I think I'd try to deal him.

What's the difference if Chungh starts and Neufeld is the 6th or if Neufeld starts and Chungh or Goossen is the 6th in terms of the cap?

I'm not a fan of Neufeld at his natural position, tackle, and even less of a fan of him at guard.  The injury he's been trying to recover from for 2 years is just about the worst one someone who depends on their lower body to gain strength and leverage from could suffer.  I doubt he's ever able to play the majority of a season.  If Chungh shows any inkling that he's ready he should start because we need some legit interior guys who can move a 300 lb guy off the line.

Does anyone ever call them out on that?

They've got it made. Would anything change if a fan or even fans asked them why they weren't actually watching the majority of practice? Let's face it, there is a large portion of Bomber fans who are happy simply to go off what is in the papers. Their editors only really care that they get enough to write their articles, which are usually based on the crappy quotes they get from practice. And there's no pressure to improve because they control the narrative.

If Chung were to actually earn a spot at RG, and you've likely got Goosen and Greaves in a dead heat for LG, then you've definitely got some wiggle room there, in terms of depth guys, if you ever needed to cut bait to save money for something else. 

That's a huge presumption.  How much is Goossen even working in at guard?

My point, and I will admit it is a weak one, is that if one of the tackles goes down during a game, Neufeld could slide out to the tackle position if need be.  Anyway, carry on...

I'd put the better football player on the roster 10 times out of 10.  Figure out who plays where in an emergency situation after that. 

Are depth/roster charts available there or do you have to print one off before you go?  Most years they hand them out in the Bomber store, but since training camp is being held in the wilderness this year, not so sure.

Are depth/roster charts available there or do you have to print one off before you go? Most years they hand them out in the Bomber store, but since training camp is being held in the wilderness this year, not so sure.

So far they've always been available. Have to sign a waiver to get in and they have always had them on hand when I've gone.

Listen to the Tait and Wieck podcast and they admit to not paying attention very hard and it more of social gathering for them. http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/White-Noise---Episode-1-305905821.html

That is bloody ridiculous.

Wiecek is particularly terrible, speaking about any non curling topic.

In fairness, he does love him the ponies, too, but when it comes to football? The guy just really seems like he doesn't even care a little and is forced to be there...

Our local sports media should be replaced with the people on this board who are actually giving updates from TC.

paid professional writers for daily papers are dinosaurs anyway.  By the time they write their stuff and get it out it's been news for 16 - 24 hours.  No one cares anymore.

Wiecek is everything that's wrong with unions. Without that protection, he would likely be replaced by someone who actually has some passion for the football beat.  But he has enough years in that he can just go through the motions.  I am a member of a union too, but if I ever become like that I hope someone puts me out to pasture.

I still think there's room for a good Op Ed piece, or a Feature piece. Lawless occaisionally does some good ones, Turner used to write some beauties and Tait's been doing some good features on various players. But the actual "reporting"...yeah, Twitter's done away with that.

Our local sports media should be replaced with the people on this board who are actually giving updates from TC.

paid professional writers for daily papers are dinosaurs anyway.  By the time they write their stuff and get it out it's been news for 16 - 24 hours.  No one cares anymore.

Agreed, and its part of why that medium is slowly dying.

Really though, reporters have had a huge advantage over the common fan yet failed to actually show their worth. These guys get press box passes to games, are provided with the time needed to actually attend practices, get to ask coaches and players questions and yet, they don't provide much value at all to readers. I get better info from sites like this one. What is the ratio of puff pieces to actually good stuff they produce? Looking at their site right now, I see:

"Childs out with suspected tear" (useful, but time sensitive info that Twitter covered)

"Moore plans (touchdown) dance party"

"Newman's long road back"

"Bryant sidelined but Blue won't panic"

"Bryant on the sidelines at Bomber camp"

The Newman article might be a nice touchy-feely read but other than that, there are no articles on that list that provide me useful information or particularly capture my attention.