Training Camp Info

Jpan85

Holy Crap, did some of you people graduate from the Paul Friesen school of overreaction? 

If I had made travel plans based on coming to a few days of TC (and I've done it before) I'd be pretty cheesed.  I think this just shows that the Bombers aren't very connected with their fanbase.  BC can get away with holding training camp in Kamloops because no one in Vancouver cares.  Winnipeg is different.  People care.  The fans are passionate.  The Bombers seem to just not get that.  Even the media doesn't get it.

Holy Crap, did some of you people graduate from the Paul Friesen school of overreaction? 

If I had made travel plans based on coming to a few days of TC (and I've done it before) I'd be pretty cheesed.  I think this just shows that the Bombers aren't very connected with their fanbase.  BC can get away with holding training camp in Kamloops because no one in Vancouver cares.  Winnipeg is different.  People care.  The fans are passionate.  The Bombers seem to just not get that.  Even the media doesn't get it.

Had to book holidays a couple months ago for what is a really busy work time for us, but it'll be worth it for me, if I can sit in the sunshine and watch some TC with a bunch of other Bombers fans...

What would you like them to do?  Spend a bunch of money for a couple dozen fans?  That's usually the amount of people who aren't Bomber employees or people who are supposedly covering the team for local media at the TC practices I've been to other than the opening full practice which they've made into an event in recent years.  Let's apply some logic and rational thinking here.

Personally, I thought they should have dropped the field turf into University Stadium and used that for local football as there is a huge shortage of adequate facilities.  That would have worked out perfectly for Bomber training camp when they can't be in IGF.

It's TC; its really for the team and not the fans anyways; it's a privledge to get to see TC

It is something that could be a great out reach to the fans. Sure they could say "**** you" to the fans and close practise, but doesn't it make more sense to have it open to the fans so that families can go out for the day and watch a bit of training camp, maybe someones young son has one of the players toss them a ball after practise and you've created a fan for life. There is no negative to having fans watch training camp. For a league like the CFL that prides itself on being accessible and fan friendly not having a way for fans to see training camp is a black eye. Perception is everything and the Bombers need to come up with something that works. Pissing off your fans is no way to run a team. 

What would you like them to do?  Spend a bunch of money for a couple dozen fans?  

I think you missed my point.  My point was that we found out what - TODAY? that practice was going to be closed.  I guess if I was going to be coming out I should have researched that women's soccer was on so that's on me, but still, the Bombers could have been more proactive here.

What would you like them to do?  Spend a bunch of money for a couple dozen fans?  That's usually the amount of people who aren't Bomber employees or people who are supposedly covering the team for local media at the TC practices I've been to other than the opening full practice which they've made into an event in recent years.  Let's apply some logic and rational thinking here.

Be happy to.  Here's a hypothetical conversation in the Bomber office.  It should have occurred early last month and involves two members of the Bomber front office.  Let's call the first one Tall Forehead (TF) and the second one Deep Thinker (DT).

TF:  Hey DF, what should we do about training camp?  It's coming up next month and we're not going to be able to use the stadium.  We need to tell the fans what's happening so they can do whatever they need too.

DT: Yea, I've already made a couple of calls to have bleachers set up at the practice field.  Won't be the best but if we get some washroom facilities and maybe call a food vendor or two, we'll be just fine.  We won't have to spend much on this but at least no one, except that maybe that 17to85 guy will be able to say we didn't try.

TF:  Sounds good.  You want to do the announcement or should I?  

DT:  Already done.  Just sent it to the boss for approval.  Hope he appreciates what we're trying to do here.

Now, let's see what the actual conversation, which took place no earlier than yesterday probably looked like:

TF:  Hey DF, what should we do about training camp?  It's coming up next week and we're not going to be able to use the stadium.  We need to tell the fans what's happening so they can do whatever they need too.

DT:  **** the fans.  They should be bloody grateful that we even let them in the stadium for games.

TF:  Ya, you're right.  I'll get the PR folks do do up a release to remind everyone just how lucky they are.

DT:  Cool.  By the way, how are season ticket sales going? 

If I had made travel plans based on coming to a few days of TC (and I've done it before) I'd be pretty cheesed. I think this just shows that the Bombers aren't very connected with their fanbase. BC can get away with holding training camp in Kamloops because no one in Vancouver cares. Winnipeg is different. People care. The fans are passionate. The Bombers seem to just not get that. Even the media doesn't get it.

What would you like them to do? Spend a bunch of money for a couple dozen fans? That's usually the amount of people who aren't Bomber employees or people who are supposedly covering the team for local media at the TC practices I've been to other than the opening full practice which they've made into an event in recent years. Let's apply some logic and rational thinking here.

Be happy to. Here's a hypothetical conversation in the Bomber office. It should have occurred early last month and involves two members of the Bomber front office. Let's call the first one Tall Forehead (TF) and the second one Deep Thinker (DT).

TF: Hey DF, what should we do about training camp? It's coming up next month and we're not going to be able to use the stadium. We need to tell the fans what's happening so they can do whatever they need too.

DT: Yea, I've already made a couple of calls to have bleachers set up at the practice field. Won't be the best but if we get some washroom facilities and maybe call a food vendor or two, we'll be just fine. We won't have to spend much on this but at least no one, except that maybe that 17to85 guy will be able to say we didn't try.

TF: Sounds good. You want to do the announcement or should I?

DT: Already done. Just sent it to the boss for approval. Hope he appreciates what we're trying to do here.

Now, let's see what the actual conversation, which took place no earlier than yesterday probably looked like:

TF: Hey DF, what should we do about training camp? It's coming up next week and we're not going to be able to use the stadium. We need to tell the fans what's happening so they can do whatever they need too.

DT: **** the fans. They should be bloody grateful that we even let them in the stadium for games.

TF: Ya, you're right. I'll get the PR folks do do up a release to remind everyone just how lucky they are.

DT: Cool. By the way, how are season ticket sales going?

LMAO!!! Too funny!

Be happy to.  Here's a hypothetical conversation in the Bomber office.  It should have occurred early last month and involves two members of the Bomber front office.  Let's call the first one Tall Forehead (TF) and the second one Deep Thinker (DT).

TF:  Hey DF, what should we do about training camp?  It's coming up next month and we're not going to be able to use the stadium.  We need to tell the fans what's happening so they can do whatever they need too.

DT: Yea, I've already made a couple of calls to have bleachers set up at the practice field.  Won't be the best but if we get some washroom facilities and maybe call a food vendor or two, we'll be just fine.  We won't have to spend much on this but at least no one, except that maybe that 17to85 guy will be able to say we didn't try.

TF:  Sounds good.  You want to do the announcement or should I?  

DT:  Already done.  Just sent it to the boss for approval.  Hope he appreciates what we're trying to do here.

TF:  Hey DF, what should we do about training camp?  It's coming up next week and we're not going to be able to use the stadium.  We need to tell the fans what's happening so they can do whatever they need too.

DT:  **** the fans.  They should be bloody grateful that we even let them in the stadium for games.

TF:  Ya, you're right.  I'll get the PR folks do do up a release to remind everyone just how lucky they are.

DT:  Cool.  By the way, how are season ticket sales going? 

Thanks for the guffaw.  It was needed.

I don't know how many of the anti-socer people watched the last Olympics but the Canadian women were phenomenal. They play a very tough, physical brand and did this country proud . It's training camp , and the up to 3000 people will have to give way to a packed, world event taking place in our city.Socer is the most popular sport in the world and in Canada. Set aside your aversions to a sport you just don't understand or is not your cup of tea and support the fact that Winnipeg scooped this major event.

Yes, an event so coveted no other country bid to host it.

Soccer may be the most popular sport in the world but not in Canada.

More people play socer than hockey.Every single day will out draw training camp. It is one year . Can't you support something other than the thing you are interested in.My arguement has been used by many football fans when we look for support for theBB or the stadium.

oh blech.  I don't want to see this board get dragged into which sport is better or more popular.  Soccer is popular all over the world because all you need is a ball and a field and away you go.  So anyone can play it, unlike hockey, football, ice dancing, you name it.  The point some of us were trying to make here is that the Bombers got caught with their pants down yet again, on an issue they had plenty of advance notice about.

oh blech.  I don't want to see this board get dragged into which sport is better or more popular.  Soccer is popular all over the world because all you need is a ball and a field and away soccero.  So anyone can play it, unlike hockey, football, ice dancing, you name it.  The point some of us were trying to make here is that the Bombers got caught with their pants down yet again, on an issue they had plenty of advance notice about.

ya I got your point and I understand.I agree more advanced notice would be good.Do you get my point? Just because an event isn't your thing, why drag it down? This is a huge event for Winnipeg . I'm not comparing sports.I prefer hockey, CFL, NFL, and then soccer.

I know it is across the city but why not the field the Eastside Eagles practice on.. They have field turf and lots of room for spectators.

because they have there locker and training room right there. There are going to injuries during camp want to be right by where they can get immediate treatment.

oh blech.  I don't want to see this board get dragged into which sport is better or more popular.  Soccer is popular all over the world because all you need is a ball and a field and away soccero.  So anyone can play it, unlike hockey, football, ice dancing, you name it.  The point some of us were trying to make here is that the Bombers got caught with their pants down yet again, on an issue they had plenty of advance notice about.

ya I got your point and I understand.I agree more advanced notice would be good.Do you get my point? Just because an event isn't your thing, why drag it down? This is a huge event for Winnipeg . I'm not comparing sports.I prefer hockey, CFL, NFL, and then soccer.

I'm not dragging it down.  Others can, but that's their prerogative.  To each their own.  If this women's soccer thingy puts money in the Bombers' jeans, then great. 

4. I feel the Bombers appear caught with their pants down on this.

I just hope it wasn't Wade. No one needs to see that.

For Wade, dropping his pants would be a matter of a couple of inches. He has to roll his socks down to pee.

Its unreal how myopic some of you are.. the team NEEDS the revenue.. if that means one season's TC has to be relocated then so be it.. Im sure amends will be made to allow viewing by the fans willing to come down..

Sorry they didn't call each one of you and speak to you personally to soothe your butthurts..

Looking at it on google maps there is not much room to put stand up. The only bleachers there face the soccer field. If they put bleachers would only be room by the endzones.

Maybe they should do like the Lions with their Kamloops training camp, and move the entire kit and caboodle to Brandon.

Sounds good to me!   :lol: