Etch Fired

Jpan85

Bombers Relieve Etcheverry of Coaching DutiesWednesday, December 17th, 2014

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has relieved defensive coordinator Gary Etcheverry of his duties with the club.

“Obviously a decision like this is a very difficult one to make on many levels,” said Head Coach Mike O’Shea. “The reality of the situation is such that we simply weren’t good enough on the defensive side of the football this season, and felt that we needed to go in a different direction in this regard. Gary is a good man and a good football coach, and the Blue Bombers wish him well moving forward.”

Regarding the position coaches on the defensive staff, O’Shea added, “The defensive staff are not under contract for next season, however the incoming defensive coordinator will have the opportunity to move forward with any of these coaches if he sees fit.”

Whether or not he did a good job, I feel  sorry for the fired coach. tough for him and his family, especially when people are so happy about it.

who's going to be the next coach.

more importantly where's iso_55? 

I'm actually going to miss the whining about this.

The inevitable has taken place after the club tanked so bad in the last part of the season. Moving on from Etch. is certainly a positive. Now, who takes his place? Glad to see we've cleared the way and can get in the hunt. Finally. My money is on Hall BUT IF Washington is available in B.C....??? could we go that route.

as per Lawless, names that will be in consideration for Etch replacement...

Barron Miles, Devone Claybrooks and Ritchie Hall.

Of the three ...

I think I'd want Claybrooks, Hall or Miles in that order. Claybrooks really intrigues me because if O'Shea wanted Stubler last year, he's probably going to be interested in the guy's understudy. That being said, a lot of talk floating around that Claybrooks is pretty set on staying in Calgary.

If I was a betting man, I'd say we end up with Hall.