Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

This reminds me of Allen Pitts all over again.  Wally is not afraid to say good bye to long time vets but what bothers me is why wait till training camps starts?  Why not release him during the off season.  

It's a cruel world in football and players have to accept their fate. 

Paul still thinks he got it? Why not let him prove it and if he loses at the end of the day, bully for Wally. If macallum wins, they bring in a cut canauck kicker and let Paulie finish off this season., now, they are in a craptacular situation if one American can't do both jobs... Or worse, neither can do the job fully...

Not saying I'm sad that it's happening to BC tho lol., nice to see one of the "better ran" organizations seem to take some missteps..

I don't think the BC thing is that bad. They gave him an option to retire or get released. He didn't want to retire so he technically asked to be released. They've obviously seen these kickers they have play and decided that they like them more than McCallum. If they have a kicker they really like they can't keep saying "oh geez I really wish Paul would retire." At least he has an opportunity to join another team's camp and compete (should anybody choose to pick him up).

As the old saying goes... It's a business.

Of course, if the international kickers they have stink, then BC would look bad.

It's a business.  If the coach doesn't think any player has it anymore, then it's time to replace them.  It shouldn't matter if the player has 1 year or a ton of years under his belt.  BC gave McCallum a choice to retire or to be cut.  He chose to be cut.  Nothing the matter with that IMO.

Ottawa's gotta be reaching out to McCallum right now.

(trivia learned while googling to see if this is actually happening:) It would be his second stint in Ottawa since he was actually a Rough Rider back in 1993. And he's the only player in CFL history to have played against all three Ottawa franchises.

@BCLionsDen: Anyone upset that Paul McCallum was released hasn't seen these two kickers in camp. All I can say is wow. #BCLions #CFLTC

Just like how last year in camp for the Bombers Maher was looking good and then wound up having a craptacular season when it started for real?

Herb Zurkowsky @HerbZurkowsky1

Tanner Marsh just left the field and is having his left knee examined. Judging by the way he's holding his head, it appears serious.

Shall we offer them Marve for the highest draft pick we can get? ;)