Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

I feel like the article is poorly worded, I got the impression that he's going to let the winner of the battle between Leone and Fera do the job. But I think that's mostly just because I'm hoping for Tedford's sake that he's not stupid enough to use 2 DI spots on the kicking game.

Essentially cutting a NI kicker who hit 90% of his kicks last year in favour of an import before a pre-season game is played is a pretty bad start.

@mattsekeres: #BCLions kicker Paul McCallum, the oldest player in the #CFL, has left camp to deal with a personal matter. No set timeline on a return.

Paul McCallum's "personal matter" is an aversion to running.

No, it was the HC's aversion to Canadian kickers:

From Lowell Ulrich's blog:

The oldest player in the CFL was asked in the afternoon by general manager Wally Buono to retire when coach Jeff Tedford made the determination that the Lions kicking needs can be handled by the American tandem of Richie Leone and Anthony Fera.

Nobody was saying much about what took place, but McCallum’s locker stall had been cleared out and the 23-year veteran had headed home to the Lower Mainland. He’ll be given a few days to determine if he would like the Lions to release him so he can try to latch on with another team, or retire.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/06/04/lions-ask-mccallum-to-retire/
Good job, lions. I love that they are replacing one 'quality Canadian' with 2 unproven Americans.

I hope we are looking back on 23 years of Lirim one day.

floored when i saw this.. way to start off on the right foot teddy bob. Smh.

I guess it's worth noting that neither Bud Grant nor Mike Riley ever had a winning season like that. How did we ever let Kelly get away? :rolleyes:

No need to roll your eyes old timer, just stating an interesting fact about a former coach.

and coach of the year in their conference or division or whatever they call em..

I feel like the article is poorly worded, I got the impression that he's going to let the winner of the battle between Leone and Fera do the job. But I think that's mostly just because I'm hoping for Tedford's sake that he's not stupid enough to use 2 DI spots on the kicking game.

Essentially cutting a NI kicker who hit 90% of his kicks last year in favour of an import before a pre-season game is played is a pretty bad start.

Wally probably has his eyes on someone that will shake loose from another team.  Younger, faster, and cheaper...

Wally probably has his eyes on someone that will shake loose from another team.  Younger, faster, and cheaper...

Or he's going with two american kickers

@BCLionsDen: Enough with the lack of class stuff. The Lions gave McCallum the chance to retire. It got out into the media. He's 44 years old...1/2

@BCLionsDen: 2/2...McCallum is a hall of fame player and if he plays somewhere else so be it. But it's time for the Lions to get younger at the position.

@BCLionsDen: Enough with the lack of class stuff. The Lions gave McCallum the chance to retire. It got out into the media. He's 44 years old...1/2

@BCLionsDen: 2/2...McCallum is a hall of fame player and if he plays somewhere else so be it. But it's time for the Lions to get younger at the position.

lol at all of this! Nice to see it not a WPG tweeter feed this time :)