Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

Here's something along the lines we want for a TC report. From Drew Edwards (of course)

• the team is starting to make the transition towards preparing for Monday’s exhibition game against Ottawa. The personnel groupings on offence and defence are more fluid with players being shuttled in and out of the line up during the team sessions. The first pre-season game is primarily about evaluation so I would expect a number of the big names to see limited action or to sit altogether.

• defensive tackle Brian Bulcke went down during one-on-one sessions and spent the last part of the session sitting on the trainer’s table with a bag of ice on his knee. If he’s down for any period of time, the Ticats are suddenly and improbably thin at Canadian defensive tackle behind Ted Laurent. That’s because Linden Gaydosh, Mike Atkinson, Hasan Hazime and Evan Gill are all hurt as well. That said, Atkinson should be back soon.

• Jeff Mathews was the No. 2 quarterback today, after Jacory Harris took the back up reps yesterday. That will be a position to watch on Monday.

• good battle developing at the offensive tackle spot between Brian Simmons, Jake Olson and Joel Figueroa with Jeremy Lewis in the mix as well.

• players not practicing today: RB Mossis Madu and DT Atkinson. DE Arnaud Gascon-Nadon did drills but little to no team work. The rest (Hazime, Anthony Woodson, Antonio Coleman) are still in the rehab phase. No sign of S Neil King.

• Former Ticats and Argos linebacker (and current University of Toronto defensive coordinator) Kevin Eiben was at camp today.

• there are CFL officials again today and receiver Bakari Grant was flagged for offensive pass interference during a one-on-one drill. “They won’t call that in a game,” he protested. Yes, they will. That said, I think there were less flags today as players are making the adjustment to the new rules.

I'd love to see that kind of reporting for the Bombers.  Of course Drew Edwards is the best in the CFL at it so it might be a bit of a stretch for our media to do as good a job.

Montreal Alouettes ‏@MTLAlouettes 25s26 seconds ago

BREAKING: Brandon London announces retirement.

Wow...didn't see that coming at all. Going to hurt that Offence especially with Carter gone now too

They have Stamps and Lewis they are good for this season

uhhh yep. As a bomber fan I'm glad they have stamps and lewis. Lewis is no longer a threat, and stamps is likely on the back side of a great career. Anyway you look at this, it's a big lose for that team.

I don't think Green/Lewis/Stamps is as good as Green/Carter/London

Well Carter is a big loss,  but London really hasn't done much aside from one good season.   He averages about 500 yards a year and about 2 TDs....   Kohlert and Kelly put up better numbers then he did last season! 

Emry's best days are behind him. I am not surprised he's playing on a Taman team.

He's only 29 years old.
lol 29 years old is supposed to be an athletes prime years.

Football players?  Even if that's generally true, age is only part of it.  Emry's going into his 8th season as a middle linebacker and he's had pretty significant brain trauma.  Wouldn't call that prime.