Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

@PentonKirk: The #Argos have released former #Bombers defensive back Alex Suber, according to a source.

@PentonKirk: The #Argos have released former #Bombers defensive back Alex Suber, according to a source.

Speaking of Suber, whatever happened to the other mighty midget Marty Markett?

People really seem to have extra dislike for Michael Sam.

It's understandable. I'm leery of someone who says they don't want extra attention just wants to play football, yet signs up for a reality tv show and agrees to hold a press conference announcing his signing in Montreal. I think if he really didn't want extra attention he might have asked what happens when every other American player who washed out of the NFL before even playing a meaningful game signs in the CFL and said let's do that. I respect that he's being open and there's a risk in that, but it's pretty clear that the media attention is something he's playing into at this point, not trying to avoid.

Kind of presumptions for any of us to know the pressures being put on the young man, and undoubtedly being pulled in a million different directions.

You can guess his intentions, and you could be right or wrong, but the reality is you have no context to base it in.

I doubt Michael Sam asked for a press conference, and I doubt he truly wanted a reality show, quite frankly.

It's understandable. I'm leery of someone who says they don't want extra attention just wants to play football, yet signs up for a reality tv show and agrees to hold a press conference announcing his signing in Montreal. I think if he really didn't want extra attention he might have asked what happens when every other American player who washed out of the NFL before even playing a meaningful game signs in the CFL and said let's do that. I respect that he's being open and there's a risk in that, but it's pretty clear that the media attention is something he's playing into at this point, not trying to avoid.

Kind of presumptions for any of us to know the pressures being put on the young man, and undoubtedly being pulled in a million different directions.

You can guess his intentions, and you could be right or wrong, but the reality is you have no context to base it in.

I doubt Michael Sam asked for a press conference, and I doubt he truly wanted a reality show, quite frankly.

Team: Hey Michael, we'd like you to be at a press conference to announce your signing.

Sam: You know, I'm just here to play.  I'd rather not, if it's all the same.  Thanks.

Agent: Hey Michael, want to do a reality show?

Sam: No.

I'm thinking that it might not have been as hard as you're suggesting.

Team: Hey Michael, we'd like you to be at a press conference to announce your signing.

Sam: You know, I'm just here to play. I'd rather not, if it's all the same. Thanks.

And I'm willing to bet he has way more pressure than you give it credit.

People follow this story, and this player, on and off the field.

Michael Sam is trying to stay relevant. In a few years people will forget

Can't really blame him, he has to make hay while the sun shines in any way that he can.  In a short time the spot light will move on, likely never to return.  Sam is already on the outskirts of a football career, hope he picked up some book learnin' along the way.

Sam: You know, I'm just here to play. I'd rather not, if it's all the same. Thanks.

You might be entirely right, but I'm of the opinion that life is choice and when you make a choice you don't then turn around and bemoan the choice you made.  So if he chooses to put himself into the eye of the storm, he shouldn't complain that he's there.  And by the way, when I say choice, I'm NOT talking about his orientation. 

You might be entirely right, but I'm of the opinion that life is choice and when you make a choice you don't then turn around and bemoan the choice you made.  So if he chooses to put himself into the eye of the storm, he shouldn't complain that he's there.  And by the way, when I say choice, I'm NOT talking about his orientation.

This is what drive me nuts about celebrities like Kanye west et al. " don't talk to me!, don't take my picture". If you don't want the attention them change your career or retire into oblivion. They are making millions off of their fans from music purchases, concert tours, producing and even acting.

Ottawa Citizen on Paul McCallum:

Desjardins conceded he had spoken with Paul McCallum, the 45-year-old who was the league’s oldest player until he was released by the B.C. Lions, to gauge the former Rough Rider’s interest in returning to the city where he kicked off his CFL career.

According to Desjardins, though, McCallum’s business interests and family considerations in B.C. meant that “right now it’s not a fit.”

Some talk about Sam out there includes he didn't look good and probably wasn't gonna make the team so he started pouting. Another is he didn't want to have to deal with all the attention he was getting. Read both on twitter. Might have even been from the Montreal reporter herb