Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

The personal & individual glory was taken away from Banks. Stolen... by a stupid teammate who held when he shouldn't have & it cost him his historic touchdown. HIS touchdown. Not the team's but HIS. How dare that guy steal his limelight. How could that guy have been sooooo stupid? It was just too much to bear. And to go back on the field after that before he could pound his fists & have a good cry? Like right away???!! Man, that's not fair. The game is cruel sometimes. 

Iso any word in Calgary about the rumoured joint arena/stadium proposal for the Stamps/Flames of late?  Or is that on the backburner with the drop in oil and probable huge deficit in Alberta?

Naturally you think of the returns but the guy is a bonifide weapon on offense too. 

Bona fide Me First football player too. Pretty pathetic display during the GC & afterwards. #gottagrowup

Get used to it. Its the 21st century athlete

...Our boy Toews says hi....

I wouldn't be so quick to anoint him a golden boy. He's not the nicest guy either from a lot of accounts.

Naturally you think of the returns but the guy is a bonifide weapon on offense too. 

Bona fide Me First football player too. Pretty pathetic display during the GC & afterwards. #gottagrowup

I wouldn't be so quick to anoint him a golden boy. He's not the nicest guy either from a lot of accounts.

Who cares if he's a nice guy?  The point is that you would never catch him crying on the bench after a missed opportunity.

Who cares if he's a nice guy?  The point is that you would never catch him crying on the bench after a missed opportunity.

By all accounts, the ultimate leader in the NHL right now...

This guy Skelton, who the Als just signed, sounds interesting:

Skelton, 6-foot-5 and 258 pounds, was selected in the fifth round by the Arizona Cardinals in 2010.

The 26-year-old spent three seasons with the Cardinals and played 20 games. He passed for 3,707 yards and 15 touchdowns.

In 2011, replacing the injured Kevin Kolb, the Cardinals went 5-2 with Skelton. He also has spent time with Cincinnati, San Francisco and Tennessee.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/the-snap-alouettes-release-qb-brink

Popp trying to find a quick fix with Skelton.  Could be a good signing.

You will never see Montreal sign a young QB like a Mitchell  in Calgary with the intention of grooming him into a starter over the course of 3 or more years.  That market will not allow it.  Older QBs (Smith, Ham, Crompton) and Qbs developed by other teams (Calvillo, Skelton) is the Montreal way for now and forever.

You will never see Montreal sign a young QB like a Mitchell  in Calgary with the intention of grooming him into a starter over the course of 3 or more years.  That market will not allow it.  Older QBs (Smith, Ham, Crompton) and Qbs developed by other teams (Calvillo, Skelton) is the Montreal way for now and forever.

The guy is 26 it says?  Drew Willy is a few years older and was "groomed" in Saskatchewan...  does that mean Walters is going for a quick fix as well???

I would consider an old washed up guy being more of a quick fix solution  a la signing Henry Burris...

The personal & individual glory was taken away from Banks. Stolen... by a stupid teammate who held when he shouldn't have & it cost him his historic touchdown. HIS touchdown. Not the team's but HIS. How dare that guy steal his limelight. How could that guy have been sooooo stupid? It was just too much to bear. And to go back on the field after that before he could pound his fists & have a good cry? Like right away???!! Man, that's not fair. The game is cruel sometimes. 

Iso any word in Calgary about the rumoured joint arena/stadium proposal for the Stamps/Flames of late?  Or is that on the backburner with the drop in oil and probable huge deficit in Alberta?

I've heard rumours that some kind of announcement is coming "soon", whatever that  means. The word soon has been for a couple of years now. All 3 levels of government have said no to any kind of public funding & now with the provincial economy in the tank the Flames would be crazy to even consider that as an option. The primary Flames owner Murray Edwards is a billionaire & I've heard stories a new arena will be 100% privately funded by him but it will come at a price for fans. If you want season tickets to watch the Flames, rock concert, circus, pro  lacrosse then you'll have to pay expensive individual seat licenses. If it's anything like the 49ers owners have done then I'm thinking maybe ten to 15 grand financed over a five year period for a decent seat. I also think the arena will be stand alone & no new stadium will be attached with the project. I'm just speculating here. 

I thought we had groomed Brink. Guess that didn't work out too well for Popp. I think Buono is the qb. guru in this league, and Popp, since Calvillo, not so much. Skelton could turn out to be as big a bust for them as Ted White. Skelton hmmmmm wonder if he's any relation to Red.

Iso any word in Calgary about the rumoured joint arena/stadium proposal for the Stamps/Flames of late? Or is that on the backburner with the drop in oil and probable huge deficit in Alberta?

I've heard rumours that some kind of announcement is coming "soon", whatever that means. The word soon has been for a couple of years now. All 3 levels of government have said no to any kind of public funding & now with the provincial economy in the tank the Flames would be crazy to even consider that as an option. The primary Flames owner Murray Edwards is a billionaire & I've heard stories a new arena will be 100% privately funded by him but it will come at a price for fans. If you want season tickets to watch the Flames, rock concert, circus, pro lacrosse then you'll have to pay expensive individual seat licenses. If it's anything like the 49ers owners have done then I'm thinking maybe ten to 15 grand financed over a five year period for a decent seat. I also think the arena will be stand alone & no new stadium will be attached with the project. I'm just speculating here.
Bettman was in last week for a special closed door meeting with Nenshi trying to grease the wheels. To no avail of course...

The guy is 26 it says?  Drew Willy is a few years older and was "groomed" in Saskatchewan...  does that mean Walters is going for a quick fix as well???

I would consider an old washed up guy being more of a quick fix solution  a la signing Henry Burris...

In a way, yes.  The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have proven incapable of grooming a QB since Danny Mac, and he signed with BC in 93 before the team could experience the full benefits.  The last QB the Bombers groomed and started for an extended period of time was Dieter Brock over 40 years ago.

I've heard rumours that some kind of announcement is coming "soon", whatever that  means. The word soon has been for a couple of years now. All 3 levels of government have said no to any kind of public funding & now with the provincial economy in the tank the Flames would be crazy to even consider that as an option. The primary Flames owner Murray Edwards is a billionaire & I've heard stories a new arena will be 100% privately funded by him but it will come at a price for fans. If you want season tickets to watch the Flames, rock concert, circus, pro  lacrosse then you'll have to pay expensive individual seat licenses. If it's anything like the 49ers owners have done then I'm thinking maybe ten to 15 grand financed over a five year period for a decent seat. I also think the arena will be stand alone & no new stadium will be attached with the project. I'm just speculating here. 

Wow!  That will be something if they go that route.  As wealthy as Calgary is, I'm not sure they would find 17,000 or so folks willing to pay between 5,000 - 15,000 for seat licenses.  Maybe a smaller amount for general seats but larger amounts (like the 5 - 15,000 you suggested) for club seats and suites?  Maybe a tax on each ticket ($5) bought?

Anyways, it will be interesting to see how things shake out. 

Wow!  That will be something if they go that route.  As wealthy as Calgary is, I'm not sure they would find 17,000 or so folks willing to pay between 5,000 - 15,000 for seat licenses.  Maybe a smaller amount for general seats but larger amounts (like the 5 - 15,000 you suggested) for club seats and suites?  Maybe a tax on each ticket ($5) bought?

Anyways, it will be interesting to see how things shake out. 

The economic forecast for oil and gas is grim for at least the next 3-5 years and if the alternate energy source called LENR lives up to its progress thus far, oil could become almost irelevant in value. That would't be all bad.

Amazing how the world turned on a dime with oil in just a few months. Eight months ago the oil industry around the world was doing just fine. If it turned down quickly as it has then it'll turn back up even quicker. I don't know much about alternative energy sources to oil like the one mentioned but I do know this. The world has an insatiable appetite for crude. And it's not going away anytime soon. Oil will be back closer to a hundred dollars a barrel sooner than even the experts think. And oil & exploration companies will be even leaner & better run so they will make their profits at $95 a barrel like they did at $120. 

From what I've heard, it's going to be a massive development similar to Lansdowne.

If Ken King can be taken at his word, "it will be the largest development that Calgary has seen in 50 years".

From what I've heard, it's going to be a massive development similar to Lansdowne.

If Ken King can be taken at his word, "it will be the largest development that Calgary has seen in 50 years".

Ken King ing always says what people want to hear. He's the extreme huckster. If you shake his hand better count your fingers after. That being said, I hope a football stadium of 35,000 is included.