Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

So who are our targets in Free Agency? Heenan is a given, likely Rodgers and Bryant but who else?

There is no way we get Heenan. We would have to GROSSLY overpay for SK to let him go -- he's a local boy, old man is a Riderdouche, blah blah.

He wants to go to the NFL. Or play in SK.

I would like to say take a huge run at him to get SK to burn a bunch of cap money to keep him, but they dont follow the cap anyway so whats the point?

I love the CFL and defend it up and down. But the way the cap is treated makes me think it needs a serious cleansing

So we grossly overpay. It's not like the Bombers are up against the cap like the Riders. I don't know about you but I'm tired of seeing our qbs being used for punching bags by other teams defensive linemen in the league. I don't care what they pay the guy to sign him. Just sign him.
How do you know the Riders are up against the cap when you don't have access to salaries? Taman said he will be aggressive on the 10th.

1. Getzlaff reported salary $225,000

2. Dressler reported salary $200,000

3. Watson reported salary $120,000

4. Labatte reported salary $200,000

5. Durant reportedly makes between $300,000 and $400,000.

That's five players making 1.05 and 1.15 million on a salary cap of 5 million. I didn't include Dressler's reported $200,000 bonus so 1.1 million to 1.35 million for 5 players.

20-27% of your cap tied up in five players. I didn't include NI vet starters like Emery and Best either. Can Taman afford to add $200,000-$250,000 for Heenan. Say you're adding $250,000 for Heenan. That could be 1.6 million tied up in 6 players or a third of your cap.

I think it's been determined the Dressler was just a guess by someone. Taman has said he's not getting as much as Green. It wouldn't surprise me if Dressler's getting $235,000 plus a signing bonus.

I don't know accurate it is but Labatte could make as much as $240,000 this season.

I also think you're low on Durant's salary. I think he's over $400,000.

So who are our targets in Free Agency? Heenan is a given, likely Rodgers and Bryant but who else?

There is no way we get Heenan. We would have to GROSSLY overpay for SK to let him go -- he's a local boy, old man is a Riderdouche, blah blah.

I would like to say take a huge run at him to get SK to burn a bunch of cap money to keep him, but they dont follow the cap anyway so whats the point?

I love the CFL and defend it up and down. But the way the cap is treated makes me think it needs a serious cleansing

So we grossly overpay. It's not like the Bombers are up against the cap like the Riders. I don't know about you but I'm tired of seeing our qbs being used for punching bags by other teams defensive linemen in the league. I don't care what they pay the guy to sign him. Just sign him.
How do you know the Riders are up against the cap when you don't have access to salaries? Taman said he will be aggressive on the 10th.

That's five players making 1.05 and 1.15 million on a salary cap of 5 million. I didn't include Dressler's reported $200,000 bonus so 1.1 million to 1.35 million for 5 players.

20-27% of your cap tied up in five players. I didn't include NI vet starters like Emery and Best either. Can Taman afford to add $200,000-$250,000 for Heenan. Say you're adding $250,000 for Heenan. That could be 1.6 million tied up in 6 players or a third of your cap.

When you have top players you have to pay them accordingly, you will see this when Willy's contract comes up after this season. Mtl finds a way to pay Cox, Green, Bourke, Bowman, Perrett, Stamps, Brown, etc top dollar, why can't the Riders?

When EDM did it in the dynasty days or any other team since like TOR that spent wildly it was called "unfair,unwise , evil and hurting the league".

When Riders do it they call it "building a winner".

Esk's payroll was two to three times what the other teams were paying. Comparing that to the current Riders spending less than 100k more than other teams is hilarious to say the least. How about the stamps paying Flutie one million a year, why don't we talk about that? Or the Argo with Rocket Ismail?

"WE'RE NOT CHEATING AS BADLY AS OTHERS CHEATED!!!11!!!"

don't ever change Rider fans, don't ever change.

How do you think the Stamps can pay for 2 starter quality QBs, Cornish, Hughes, Lewis, Federkeil, Wall, Raymond, McDaniel, Simpson, etc?

I swear some think the Riders are the only team that commands their star players to be paid top dollar.

When EDM did it in the dynasty days  or any other team since like TOR that spent wildly it was called "unfair,unwise , evil and hurting the league".

Esk's payroll was two to three times what the other teams were paying. Comparing that to the current Riders spending less than 100k more than other teams is hilarious to say the least. How about the stamps paying Flutie one million a year, why don't we talk about that? Or the Argo with Rocket Ismail?

Because no single team followed the salary cap in the 90s or early 2000s for that matter.  I believe one salary was not included in the salary as well.

Eskimos paid two to three times the salary of other teams?  Nice bit of conjecture.

When Taman was here he believed in his first offer also being his best offer, presumably to "wow" the player and get him to sign before the money goes to someone else and the offer is pulled.  Why do you think Heenan hasn't already seen Taman's best offer and passed?

When Taman was here he believed in his first offer also being his best offer, presumably to "wow" the player and get him to sign before the money goes to someone else and the offer is pulled. Why do you think Heenan hasn't already seen Taman's best offer and passed?

How do you know what Heenan has or hasn't seen? Heenan is concentrating on NFL right now.

When you have top players you have to pay them accordingly, you will see this when Willy's contract comes up after this season. Mtl finds a way to pay Cox, Green, Bourke, Bowman, Perrett, Stamps, Brown, etc top dollar, why can't the Riders?

Because they're already paying other players big bucks. But it's just a salary cap. The Riders can cheat, no biggie, right Rider fans? 

When Taman was here he believed in his first offer also being his best offer, presumably to "wow" the player and get him to sign before the money goes to someone else and the offer is pulled. Why do you think Heenan hasn't already seen Taman's best offer and passed?

How do you know what Heenan has or hasn't seen? Heenan is concentrating on NFL right now.

If ifs & buts were candy & nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas, WR.

Because they're already paying other players big bucks. But it's just a salary cap. The Riders can cheat, no biggie, right Rider fans?

Every team has players who make big bucks. Up until a couple days ago nobody had a clue that Getzlaf had a big contract, it's not a stretch to come to the conclusion that many other players across the league are paid top dollar like that without public knowledge.

Every team has players who make big bucks. Up until a couple days ago nobody had a clue that Getzlaf had a big contract, it's not a stretch to come to the conclusion that many other players across the league are paid top dollar like that without public knowledge.

Riders have a history of abusing & ignoring the cap.  They are repeat offenders. They're the one organization I wouldn't trust in certain situations to cheat to keep certain players. I have zero respect for the Riders because of it. Instead of just paying a fine which is so easy I'd like to see them lose draft picks & neg list players. Maybe fine & suspend executives of that team. That'll get the message across. 

I'm pretty sure Heenan can concentrate on the NFL and listen to what his agent is saying about offers from the Riders at the same time. 

The more I think about it, you can make the same argument for the Bombers...not cheating, but having lots of money tied up in a few marquee players. For example, the Bombers have close to $900,000 tied up in four players; Willy, Picard, Moore and Denmark.

What figures are you using? I would think the Bombers would be closer to $800,000 for those four. Does anyone know how much money was moved to 2014 from 2015 when Moore restructured his contract? Either way, if we use your estimate, there's a big difference between $900,000 and about $1.1M that is the estimated salaries of Durant, Labatte, Getzlaf and Dressler.

The more I think about it, you can make the same argument for the Bombers...not cheating, but having lots of money tied up in a few marquee players. For example, the Bombers have close to $900,000 tied up in four players; Willy, Picard, Moore and Denmark.

What figures are you using? I would think the Bombers would be closer to $800,000 for those four. Does anyone know how much money was moved to 2014 from 2015 when Moore restructured his contract? Either way, if we use your estimate, there's a big difference between $900,000 and about $1.1M that is the estimated salaries of Durant, Labatte, Getzlaf and Dressler.

Well, I said "close to", but these are the figures I'm using:

Willy:  $300,000

Picard: $195,000

Moore:  $185,000

Denmark:  $170,000

That's a total of $855,000.  Not hard to argue that those 4 Riders are simply worth more. 

I'm pretty sure Heenan can concentrate on the NFL and listen to what his agent is saying about offers from the Riders at the same time.

Of course he can, but he would never sign anything while pursuing NFL.

What figures are you using? I would think the Bombers would be closer to $800,000 for those four. Does anyone know how much money was moved to 2014 from 2015 when Moore restructured his contract? Either way, if we use your estimate, there's a big difference between $900,000 and about $1.1M that is the estimated salaries of Durant, Labatte, Getzlaf and Dressler.

Willy: $300,000

Moore: $185,000

Denmark: $170,000

That's a total of $855,000. Not hard to argue that those 4 Riders are simply worth more.

I was just wondering. It was reported that Willy's base was $250,000 when he signed. I think you're low on Denmark. When he signed an extension it was reported he was one of the highest paid receivers in the league. The wild card is how much of Moore's salary was moved to 2014. My guess for a total was around $820,000 so we weren't too far apart.

Personally I think Getzlaf is overpaid. We'll have to see if Durant is worth $400,000 this season. He wasn't playing very well before he was hurt last season.

Of course he can, but he would never sign anything while pursuing NFL.

That has nothing to do with whether or not he has heard Taman's best offer.

When EDM did it in the dynasty days or any other team since like TOR that spent wildly it was called "unfair,unwise , evil and hurting the league".

"WE'RE NOT CHEATING AS BADLY AS OTHERS CHEATED!!!11!!!"

don't ever change Rider fans, don't ever change.

How do you think the Stamps can pay for 2 starter quality QBs, Cornish, Hughes, Lewis, Federkeil, Wall, Raymond, McDaniel, Simpson, etc?

I swear some think the Riders are the only team that commands their star players to be paid top dollar.

Uhhh I never said anything about their cap situation this year, I'm only pointing out the Riders history of being the only team to regularly go over the cap and the hypocrisy of Rider fans excusing the cheating their team does after railing against other teams so hard for over spending a lesser enforced cap in the past. 

Given that the RIders are the team that consistently over shoots the cap I don't think it's much of a stretch to say they're going to do it again with all the cash they're handing out. 

Taman is getting the reach around from the usual Rider circle jerk for signing Dressler.

Seriously was the guy going anywhere ? 

With his NFL dream played out was he ever a serious threat to sign anywhere else ?

Signing a guy who wanted to stay anyway isnt exactly a sign of a mastermind GM .

Taman is getting the reach around from the usual Rider circle jerk for signing Dressler.

Seriously was the guy going anywhere ? 

With his NFL dream played out was he ever a serious threat to sign anywhere else ?

Signing a guy who wanted to stay anyway isnt exactly a sign of a mastermind GM .

Taman said "I wish I had known earlier he intended on staying, I might have gotten him cheaper". Wouldn't Dressler asking for a 4 year deal kind of indicate he intended to stay. 

What figures are you using? I would think the Bombers would be closer to $800,000 for those four. Does anyone know how much money was moved to 2014 from 2015 when Moore restructured his contract? Either way, if we use your estimate, there's a big difference between $900,000 and about $1.1M that is the estimated salaries of Durant, Labatte, Getzlaf and Dressler.

That's a total of $855,000. Not hard to argue that those 4 Riders are simply worth more.

I was just wondering. It was reported that Willy's base was $250,000 when he signed. I think you're low on Denmark. When he signed an extension it was reported he was one of the highest paid receivers in the league. The wild card is how much of Moore's salary was moved to 2014. My guess for a total was around $820,000 so we weren't too far apart.

Personally I think Getzlaf is overpaid. We'll have to see if Durant is worth $400,000 this season. He wasn't playing very well before he was hurt last season.

I didn't see any reports on Denmark being one of the highest paid WRs in the league and I believe Penton reported Denmarks contract is worth less than Moore's AAV of $185,000.

I didn't see any reports on Denmark being one of the highest paid WRs in the league and I believe Penton reported Denmarks contract is worth less than Moore's AAV of $185,000.

I can't remember if it was top 5 or top 10, but it's one of those two. Prior to the Green / Dressler signings, of course.