Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

When EDM did it in the dynasty days or any other team since like TOR that spent wildly it was called "unfair,unwise , evil and hurting the league".

When Riders do it they call it "building a winner".

Esk's payroll was two to three times what the other teams were paying. Comparing that to the current Riders spending less than 100k more than other teams is hilarious to say the least. How about the stamps paying Flutie one million a year, why don't we talk about that? Or the Argo with Rocket Ismail?
"WE'RE NOT CHEATING AS BADLY AS OTHERS CHEATED!!!11!!!"

don't ever change Rider fans, don't ever change.

How do you think the Stamps can pay for 2 starter quality QBs, Cornish, Hughes, Lewis, Federkeil, Wall, Raymond, McDaniel, Simpson, etc?

I swear some think the Riders are the only team that commands their star players to be paid top dollar.

Uhhh I never said anything about their cap situation this year, I'm only pointing out the Riders history of being the only team to regularly go over the cap and the hypocrisy of Rider fans excusing the cheating their team does after railing against other teams so hard for over spending a lesser enforced cap in the past. 

Given that the RIders are the team that consistently over shoots the cap I don't think it's much of a stretch to say they're going to do it again with all the cash they're handing out. 

Its a salary management system. If the Riders want to pay the fine and exceed it I have zero problem with it. Right up to the point but not including a draft pick. I'm having a hard time understanding your point of view. Cheating IMO is doing something behind closed doors that no one knows about. What are the Riders hiding that you don't know about?   The Riders, Bombers, and Esks are community owned teams, they are audited and ran by a board of governors. It would be pretty much impossible for them to do something behind closed doors without a lot of people knowing about it. The private owners who have other businesses away from football however would not have those other businesses being audited. It would be pretty easy to hide something wouldn't it?

Taman is getting the reach around from the usual Rider circle jerk for signing Dressler.

Seriously was the guy going anywhere ? 

With his NFL dream played out was he ever a serious threat to sign anywhere else ?

Signing a guy who wanted to stay anyway isnt exactly a sign of a mastermind GM .

Probably your one and only post you've ever made that I agree with.  Dressler wanted to stay, easy signing for Taman. Would have been hard for him to screw that one up. Taman is far from a mastermind, doesn't mean he isn't doing a good job either.  If Brendan could recruit better we haven't have to overspend on our receivers. Is what it is, it just means we have to play weaker, cheaper players in other positons to off set the costs. If things don't work out this year, the pitchforks will be out, but I'm still optimistic we will be in the hunt again this year.

That's what all Rider fans say. If they go over the cap just pay the fine so who cares? Yet, a decade ago the same Rider fans were crying the blues accusing other teams of spending too much & they couldn't compete so the SMS was brought in. Now, the perennial cheaters just pay the fine & it's alright. What a joke. 

Have you ever looked up the word cheat in the dictionary? Just wondering. What are the Riders doing that is not public information?  You keep references a decade ago: are the riders secretly paying double or triple the payroll that the bombers are? Do you have any facts to back up your argument or are you just howling at the moon.  If you want to discuss it, I'm all ears, if you just want to bash the riders go ahead its your site.   

That's what all Rider fans say. If they go over the cap just pay the fine so who cares? Yet, a decade ago the same Rider fans were crying the blues accusing other teams of spending too much & they couldn't compete so the SMS was brought in. Now, the perennial cheaters just pay the fine & it's alright. What a joke. 

Have you ever looked up the word cheat in the dictionary? Just wondering. What are the Riders doing that is not public information?  You keep references a decade ago: are the riders secretly paying double or triple the payroll that the bombers are? Do you have any facts to back up your argument or are you just howling at the moon.  If you want to discuss it, I'm all ears, if you just want to bash the riders go ahead its your site.   

You keep missing the point. Iso has been around the CFL message boards for a long long time, so have I, so have many others, we all remember the screaming that Rider fans used to do about the Esks "cheating" by spending way more money than the Riders could afford and how unfair it was. Now the tables are turned and the Riders are the ones spending like drunken sailors without a care in the world about the cap and Rider fans rush to defend it at every chance. It's the fact that the fan base are being giant hypocrites that people here are pointing out nothing more nothing less. 

C'mon man.... You actually serious? You must live under a rock with a comment like that. On at least 3 different occasions the Riders were over the salary cap since it was implemented. Your team cheats & is a repeat offender. No other team does this. As far as it being out in the open??? Well sure, but the info comes out in April the following year so the season the Riders cheated in is over & done with. Maybe an audit should be done twice a year like in June when the roster is set before the first regular season game & again in October just before the playoffs so we really know who is cheating & who isn't. Like I said, then severe penalties can be given to executives of teams who cheat... Like a hefty team fine, personal fines to those involved as well as losing players off the Neg List. Or even draft picks. 

You keep missing the point. Iso has been around the CFL message boards for a long long time, so have I, so have many others, we all remember the screaming that Rider fans used to do about the Esks "cheating" by spending way more money than the Riders could afford and how unfair it was. Now the tables are turned and the Riders are the ones spending like drunken sailors without a care in the world about the cap and Rider fans rush to defend it at every chance. It's the fact that the fan base are being giant hypocrites that people here are pointing out nothing more nothing less. 

I totally agree with the first part of your post, its the second part I disagree with. 100k is 2% of a 5 million dollar SMS. Drunken sailor is a bit of a stretch isn't it?

Allright Migs...I mean Wide Right....and Ripper, you've convinced me.

Fingers in ears to tune out all logic.....CHECK

Head firmly buried in sand to tune out the truth,,,,,CHECK

"The Riders don't cheat" mantra successfully brainwashed into cerebral cortex....CHECK

"The Riders will have obvious cap issues" argument not making it through the re-inforced extra thick skull.....CHECK

I think I'm ready to be a Rider fan now.

Damn....there it goes, my brain turned on again and logical thought took over. Sorry to disappoint Migs and Ripper. You almost had me this time. It's not often that I am so hungover that the lack of all thought processes leave me open to the power of suggestion, Maybe next year.

The reason the NFL works so well and the reason any given team can go from worst to first in short order is a strictly enforced salary cap. Salary caps in other major sports such as baseball and basketball are not nearly as fair.

In the CFL I do not know if there is any restrictions on corporate sponsors paying "marketing money" to local CFL players or not. Gone are the days when most of the players had full-time jobs with local companies because players' salaries looked like amateur hour.

I've always suspected that a certain quarterback in Montréal was making out like a bandit in "off book" earnings. I have the same suspicions about Saskatchewan's local corporate interests.

Regardless of the off book stuff, I believe being over the salary cap should cost not only fines but also draft picks, depending on the extent of the felony.

Does anyone remember what the Bombers had to pay the last time they were over the salary cap?

The reason the NFL works so well and the reason any given team can go from worst to first in short order is a strictly enforced salary cap. Salary caps in other major sports such as baseball and basketball are not nearly as fair.

In the CFL I do not know if there is any restrictions on corporate sponsors paying "marketing money" to local CFL players or not. Gone are the days when most of the players had full-time jobs with local companies because players' salaries looked like amateur hour.

I've always suspected that a certain quarterback in Montréal was making out like a bandit in "off book" earnings. I have the same suspicions about Saskatchewan's local corporate interests.

Regardless of the off book stuff, I believe being over the salary cap should cost not only fines but also draft picks, depending on the extent of the felony.

Does anyone remember what the Bombers had to pay the last time they were over the salary cap?

The NFLs cap is fairly complicated, but it's essentially a 5 year rolling cap based on averages, so it's possible to go over the cap in an individual year.

And my understanding of the CFL cap is that the first $100,000 over its a dollar for dollar fine, then after that it's stricter monetary fines plus forfeiture of draft picks.

Bomber players get off the book incentives too. Henoc, Willy, Kelly and Moore and I'm sure others, all had free car leases while they're in Winnipeg during the season. Bombers also provide players with 6 free meals per week during the season; meals should count against the cap, but no player (or the PA) is going to complain about free meals.

I think cheating is going a little too far to describe the Riders going over the cap. First off, $17K is not even enough to pay a single player, so why is it a big deal (And plus, they have raised the cap since then)? It wasn't even close to the maximum until having to give up draft picks. Second, I think if a team decides to go over the salary cap, it's fine as long as they are willing to pay the fine (within reason of course). The Riders were not trying to cover it up in any way, so I don't consider it "cheating".

And before any of you call me out for being bias, this goes for any team in the league.

I'm fairness to the Riders it isn't like they have a crap load of talent in other areas of the team. I would be more upset if they had a loaded defense to go with the expensive receivers.

Forget not at one point we had Stegall Roberts Jones and other awesome receivers...

How do you know the Riders are up against the cap when you don't have access to salaries? Taman said he will be aggressive on the 10th.

When Taman was here he believed in his first offer also being his best offer, presumably to "wow" the player and get him to sign before the money goes to someone else and the offer is pulled. Why do you think Heenan hasn't already seen Taman's best offer and passed?
How do you know what Heenan has or hasn't seen? Heenan is concentrating on NFL right now.
I'm pretty sure Heenan can concentrate on the NFL and listen to what his agent is saying about offers from the Riders at the same time.
Of course he can, but he would never sign anything while pursuing NFL.
That has nothing to do with whether or not he has heard Taman's best offer.

He likely has seen Taman's offer but is waiting it out b/c of the NFL. Just like Matt Odonnell did in Edm.

I'm fairness to the Riders it isn't like they have a crap load of talent in other areas of the team. I would be more upset if they had a loaded defense to go with the expensive receivers.

Forget not at one point we had Stegall Roberts Jones and other awesome receivers...

Chick

George

Emry

Brackenridge

Brown

Maze

Walker

Harris

Peters

Legree, etc

Defence is the least of the Riders worries.

I totally agree with the first part of your post, its the second part I disagree with. 100k is 2% of a 5 million dollar SMS. Drunken sailor is a bit of a stretch isn't it?

It is when the Riders are the only team to over spend on a consistent basis. Considering the penalty is a fine it really is spending their way to the top. If it was wrong for Edmonton to do it back in the day when they had more money than the Riders it is just as wrong for the Riders to do it now that they actually have money. If Rider fans would simply accept that they're being hypocrites no one would care, but the fact that a lot of you try and justify it opens yourselves up to criticism. 

Chick

George

Emry

Brackenridge

Brown

Maze

Walker

Harris

Peters

Legree, etc

Defence is the least of the Riders worries.

Why stop there? Why not list the entire roster and point out all the loaded positions on the team? That's what you really want to do right? Homers gonna be homers. 

Have you ever looked up the word cheat in the dictionary? Just wondering. What are the Riders doing that is not public information? You keep references a decade ago: are the riders secretly paying double or triple the payroll that the bombers are? Do you have any facts to back up your argument or are you just howling at the moon. If you want to discuss it, I'm all ears, if you just want to bash the riders go ahead its your site.

It is when the Riders are the only team to over spend on a consistent basis. Considering the penalty is a fine it really is spending their way to the top. If it was wrong for Edmonton to do it back in the day when they had more money than the Riders it is just as wrong for the Riders to do it now that they actually have money. If Rider fans would simply accept that they're being hypocrites no one would care, but the fact that a lot of you try and justify it opens yourselves up to criticism.

If Riders were over by a significant amount I could see your point but they were over be a rounding error in 2013 which is basically nothing. What speed limit do you drive at on a 100km/hr highway? Riders drove at about 100.1 km/hr.

Ah the annual off-season 'riders are cheating' circle jerk. Yawn.

Its not like its criticism for its own sake. Fair comment considering the Getzlaf and Dressler news.

Said it before and will keep saying : if you believe yourself to be the model franchise expect scrutiny and not constant praise.

Regarding Getzlaf, I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded to Ottawa for a high draft pic or two.

Ah the annual off-season 'riders are cheating' circle jerk. Yawn.

Its not like its criticism for its own sake. Fair comment considering the Getzlaf and Dressler news.

Said it before and will keep saying : if you believe yourself to be the model franchise expect scrutiny and not constant praise.

Regarding Getzlaf, I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded to Ottawa for a high draft pic or two.

"Great move, Taman. Keep up the good work"

What, Migs back under a different name? Why am I not surprised? The guy has no life. Hey Migsy just want to say hello & if you're banned but snuck on here using a different IP address & name then you're a douchebag.

I hope you aren't refering to me. After reading your post, let me guess, you are a twelve year old posting in your parents basement. Who uses the word douchbag anyways?

Thanks for the welcome

Well, I never named names or singularly picked you out so it's funny how that message offended you. And if I never mentioned you then I have nothing to apologize to you for.Besides, what better way to flush out a guy with an ego the size Migs has than by being insulting. For all I know it is you Migs so you're welcome back. Migs has done this before here & on other sites being perma banned only to come back under some new nickname he came up & denying it's him only to be discovered later. Time will tell if Migs has come back as he has a definite posting style. If you're not Migs then no need to be offended. In case you don't know MIgs or whatever name he calls himself he is probably the most loathed & hated poster anywhere posting on the CFL universe. I'd say he is a POS but it has redeeming qualities because it is expelled fecal material. Migs isn't even that. 

Wide Right & Ripper, you'll find that I'm not a bad guy here & neither are most others if you are posting & respect our team or don't play the Prider routine constantly. I'm more than willing to give you guys a chance. I welcome you & other CFL fans here if they give good takes. It may not seem like it after what I said above but I do. But, please remember that this is a Bomber forum & the Riders are a huge rival so your team will take shots from time to time.More than any other team. It's how you handle it that will determine if you stay here long term or not. Anyway you say you're not Migs so I believe you. 

What, Migs back under a different name? Why am I not surprised? The guy has no life. Hey Migsy just want to say hello & if you're banned but snuck on here using a different IP address & name then you're a douchebag.

I hope you aren't refering to me. After reading your post, let me guess, you are a twelve year old posting in your parents basement. Who uses the word douchbag anyways?

Thanks for the welcome

Well, I never named names or singularly picked you out so it's funny how that message offended you. And if I never mentioned you then I have nothing to apologize to you for.Besides, what better way to flush out a guy with an ego the size Migs has than by being insulting. For all I know it is you Migs so you're welcome back. Migs has done this before here & on other sites being perma banned only to come back under some new nickname he came up & denying it's him only to be discovered later. Time will tell if Migs has come back as he has a definite posting style. If you're not Migs then no need to be offended. In case you don't know MIgs or whatever name he calls himself he is probably the most loathed & hated poster anywhere posting on the CFL universe. I'd say he is a POS but it has redeeming qualities because it is expelled fecal material. Migs isn't even that. 

Wide Right & Ripper, you'll find that I'm not a bad guy here & neither are most others if you are posting & respect our team or don't play the Prider routine constantly. I'm more than willing to give you guys a chance. I welcome you & other CFL fans here if they give good takes. It may not seem like it after what I said above but I do. But, please remember that this is a Bomber forum & the Riders are a huge rival so your team will take shots from time to time.More than any other team. It's how you handle it that will determine if you stay here long term or not. Anyway you say you're not Migs so I believe you. 

I fully accept shots coming my way and the riders direction as well. As I've said before, I follow the bombers closely and am not here to convert u guys to rider fans. I try to pick my fights, but will respond to posts from time to time regarding the riders. I'm fine with some back and forth. 

Have you ever looked up the word cheat in the dictionary? Just wondering. What are the Riders doing that is not public information? You keep references a decade ago: are the riders secretly paying double or triple the payroll that the bombers are? Do you have any facts to back up your argument or are you just howling at the moon. If you want to discuss it, I'm all ears, if you just want to bash the riders go ahead its your site.

If Riders were over by a significant amount I could see your point but they were over be a rounding error in 2013 which is basically nothing. What speed limit do you drive at on a 100km/hr highway? Riders drove at about 100.1 km/hr.

See, justifying it. This is why Rider fans are the joke of the league. two faced hypocrites. Need another Al Ford era, remind the fan base to be humble.