Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

Players might be a little hesitant in signing with the Riders after this. I get it's a business, but it still seems a little dirty.

Do players hesitate to sign in BC? Wally is 100 times more ruthless than Taman could ever be. Did Tedford hesitate to sign after Wally micromanaged the last coach out the door, and then fired him in a window opportunity so they didn't have to pay him?  I think this Foley thing is just a surprise because Taman isn't seen that way around the league. 

Players might be a little hesitant in signing with the Riders after this. I get it's a business, but it still seems a little dirty.

Do players hesitate to sign in BC? Wally is 100 times more ruthless than Taman could ever be. Did Tedford hesitate to sign after Wally micromanaged the last coach out the door, and then fired him in a window opportunity so they didn't have to pay him?  I think this Foley thing is just a surprise because Taman isn't seen that way around the league. 

Do players hesitate to sign in BC?  I don't know, maybe they do?

Foley did.

Wait ...

Couple things I find interesting about this one.

Saskatchewan was very much in the Shea Emry race last year during free agency. They weren't willing to go as high as Toronto. Wonder what changed now.

Emry may be better than Foley (I agree with it) but this really does nothing to alleviate Saskatchewan's ratio issues. They get a bit younger, but they still need to slot in another Canadian somewhere if they lose Heenan. A rotation of Ainsworth and Lee likely won't cut it in 2015.

I agree with your post Mike. I guess myself and others here are just hoping we have some kind of plan here going forward that includes Canadians at that end spot.  The theory here is likely its easier to recruit at DE than it is at LB. I'm scratching my head a bit on this move as Foley is absolutely loved here by the fans. Tons of pressure on Emry to perform, the pitchforks will be out early for Taman if this blows up. On a brighter note Emry is a real ratio buster and will fill a glaring weakness we have had for nearly 2 years. 

Just like Walters bringing in Banks only to cut him... Every team does these kinds of things.

Trading for a guy and him signing an extension and then sucking in training camp not winning a job is a bit different than what happened here. BANKS was cut cuz he didn't want to be a backup actually. Banks actually asked for a release did he not?

Brackenridge back in Saskatchewan.

I didn't think we'd have much interest, since we already have Leggett on a longer term deal.

Good for the Riders though.

All that, plus anything that might make it tougher for them to re-sign Heenan gets my thumbs up.

So Foley is an Argonut once again. Probably doesn't mind the trade, although I don't think he's any better off. Going from the rabid fans in Regina and a lot of rah rah, to back playing in the ghostly silence of the 'Mall' called skydump. He might have preferred making his own choice by waiting till fa but I guess Taman schmoozed him into signing, so he could pull the pin on the trade. Such is the world of football sometimes.

Word was Foley was not happy... According to Brendan Taman. 

With Emry, he has many years to play yet, is mean and nasty, does take some penalties. 

Not sure I would so easily make this assumption. With the history of head injuries he has, and the nature of the position he plays there really is no telling how long he will still be in the league. For his sake, hopefully he can stay healthy especially considering the nature of his injuries.

John Chiles signed with the Chicago Bears.

Good for him, but I was hoping we might sign him as a 3rd WR to replace Kelly/Bryant.

Yeah, I was hoping Chiles was somewhere around 4th on Walters' FA to-do list. Ellingson isn't a bad runner-up, but I had a definite preference for Chiles.

So was I

Still hope for Ellingson or EJ.

You think Kuale can convert to receiver?  Interesting.  I like it!!!

I'm not sure whats with all the Ellingson love. He had a great half of 2013 to start his CFL career, then he tailed off and got injured continuously. He'd be an upgrade over Romby or Kelly sure, but who wouldn't be?  

Good speed, decent size, and a track record of success when he is on the field.  He put up 400+ yards in only 7 games last season.  He has star potential, just needs to stay healthy.

Also, historically the third year in the CFL has been kind to import receivers.  Seems to be the time that a lot of them really hit their stride.