Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

Taman continues to chip away at some of the Riders' other prospective free agents. Sam Hurl, who has been with the Riders for three seasons, may test free agency. Taman said that Hurl wants to play regularly. That's a scenario that may not take place with the Riders.

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/football/roughriders-football/Talks+continue+with+free+agents+Video/10733876/story.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I wonder if we're going to make a play for Hamilton's LB Taylor Reed. He was on the Bomber's Practice squad in 13 and then had tryouts with the Cowboys and Pats. Hamilton picked him up last year and he didn't look out of place. (Comments, Zontar?)

Another LB who may hit FA is the Esks Rennie Curran. He'd sure look good in Blue and Gold.

Pretty sure he re-signed

Not yet, but at last that I heard, he was hoping for NFL opportunities. 

He tried it last year and didn't stick there. Then he came back to the CFL late in the season.

Not sure how playing 2 months in Canada will make a difference in sticking in the NFL.

That said, I also like to see him here. He can play WIL and MLB.

Could you imagine if the Riders lost...and I'm only including players who have suggested they will test FA, had NFL workouts, or are gone already and by no means is inclusive of all their potential losses....Picard, Heenan, Hurl, Brackenridge, and Peters. That represents 20% of their starting lineup and is likely not even close to all the players they may lose. I know Taman won't say it, the Rider fans won't admit it, but they have got to be sweating bullets in Rider land right now. This offseason has the makings to be a Titanic like offseason similar to the one we had in the mass exodus of '08.

Could you imagine if the Riders lost...and I'm only including players who have suggested they will test FA, had NFL workouts, or are gone already and by no means is inclusive of all their potential losses....Picard, Heenan, Hurl, Brackenridge, and Peters. That represents 20% of their starting lineup and is likely not even close to all the players they may lose. I know Taman won't say it, the Rider fans won't admit it, but they have got to be sweating bullets in Rider land right now. This offseason has the makings to be a Titanic like offseason similar to the one we had in the mass exodus of '08.

Grey Cup 2013 - The Hangover.

I wonder if we're going to make a play for Hamilton's LB Taylor Reed. He was on the Bomber's Practice squad in 13 and then had tryouts with the Cowboys and Pats. Hamilton picked him up last year and he didn't look out of place. (Comments, Zontar?)

Another LB who may hit FA is the Esks Rennie Curran. He'd sure look good in Blue and Gold.

Austin etc. love him. Were very patient with his development - needed to shed the weight and learn cdn football - doubt they bail on the investment if they can help it.

CFL News @CFL_News

QB Drew Tate has signed a contract extension w/ #Calstampeders http://ow.ly/HzLI6  #CFL via @calstampeders

Surprised that Tate would want to stick around, but not surprised the Stamps want to keep him.  BLM is young enough that he will get an NFL shot, nice to have a QB you've been developing for half a decade around as a backup plan.

Losing butler and sheets hurt them more than all five of those guys

Good one.

Is it that far off?  Sheets was by far the best running back in the CFL.. he was dominant.  And Butler was a high end Canadian starter.

After seeing 4 different backs put up dominating games in 2014 behind that Oline, I'm inclined to say 2013 wasn't all on Sheets.

Losing butler and sheets hurt them more than all five of those guys

Good one.

Is it that far off?  Sheets was by far the best running back in the CFL.. he was dominant.  And Butler was a high end Canadian starter.

Did you forget about Jon Cornish? Are Picard and Heenan not high end Canadian starters?