Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

Puts pressure on Walters to get Heenan. But I don't think he will. 

Heenan wants to stay in SK, so he'll dangle the Blue to get the most he can out of Taman. 

The only upside is that this might put Taman in a pickle as he HAS to sign Dressler too. 

So if we lose out on Heenan and Dressler to SK, someone else HAS to shake free.

And I'm thinking its (barf) Getzlaf.

Just like Holmes signed with the Argos today, Heenan could sign with SASK tomorrow or b4 free agency begins even. Who says he wants to stay in SASK? Has he come out and said that? If so, what's the point in even trying to sign the guy if it's a foregone conclusion that he will sign back with the Riders. Seemed like lots of folks believed Holmes would go back home to Ottawa and he didn't. If these guys don't make it to free agency, Holmes didn't, Heenan still might sign with SASK before free agency begins, what could Walters do really? No pressure at all. Not until Free Agency Officially begins. If Heenan makes it to free agency and we give him a big money offer and he still goes  back to SASK, what could you do really? Nothing. 

Free agency in the CFL is interesting for about 5 minutes, It's actually interesting up until all the guys the fans want the bombers to go after sign back with their original clubs before free agency even begins. 

As for Heenan and the Riders, if he signs there, he signs there, what can you do really but... 3 NI receivers and Emery +3 starting Canadian oline = 7 starters.

Getzlaf at 225k? He'd have to be released and i doubt that would go over well in SASK.. he's a local boy. At 225k, what team would trade for that contract? 

Just like Holmes signed with the Argos today, Heenan could sign with SASK tomorrow or b4 free agency begins even. Who says he wants to stay in SASK? Has he come out and said that? If so, what's the point in even trying to sign the guy if it's a foregone conclusion that he will sign back with the Riders. Seemed like lots of folks believed Holmes would go back home to Ottawa and he didn't. If these guys don't make it to free agency, Holmes didn't, Heenan still might sign with SASK before free agency begins, what could Walters do really? No pressure at all. Not until Free Agency Officially begins. If Heenan makes it to free agency and we give him a big money offer and he still goes  back to SASK, what could you do really? Nothing. 

Free agency in the CFL is interesting for about 5 minutes, It's actually interesting up until all the guys the fans want the bombers to go after sign back with their original clubs before free agency even begins. 

As for Heenan and the Riders, if he signs there, he signs there, what can you do really but... 3 NI receivers and Emery +3 starting Canadian oline = 7 starters.

Getzlaf at 225k? He'd have to be released and i doubt that would go over well in SASK.. he's a local boy. At 225k, what team would trade for that contract? 

Exactly, he is making way too much and Taman knows it. And now, the entire fan base knows it. 

I wouldnt be surprised if he gets renegotiated. The home town card can just as easily be played against you if the fans see you as using it to over value yourself. 

I still see Heenan possibly leaving the riders. I think Taman has covered his bases here with the watson and emery trades. I dunno tho, guess we will see what happens in the next week or 2 even. 

I think if Heenan makes it to free agency, we have as good of a shot, if not better at getting him than anybody else does. Call it a hunch or a gut feeling. 

The only fly in the ointment is that SK will break the cap and do all the dirty underhanded stuff their fans used to whine about. 

I remember when Burris's wife got a 60k a year job in Calgary when Hank signed from SK. They all screamed bloody murder then. Wouldn't be surprised in the least if Heenan sticks in SK and suddenly his spouse is a "consultant" for Sasktel for example. 

Tyler Holmes just re-signed in TO.

...aaaaaaaand there goes Dressler, re-signing...

11 more days before I waste energy getting invested in any player.  Very few of the best talents ever hit the market.  The list of current FA's will be cut nearly in half before Feb 10, just like every other year.

Which will remain an annual disappointment.  I mean, fingers crossed.

Yup. They aren't free agents until the 10th and every year, the big names generally sign back with their current team and people freak out and say.. wtf, we lost out on this guy and that guy but reality is, never had a chance at them since they signed back. The process repeats itself every time free agency rolls around. There is a reason you don't really build your team in the CFL on free agency and there is a reason why the draft is so important to your success and how wasting picks and trading them away is a bad idea. The only way you get impact NI players recently is by drafting and developing them. 

Probably means we do go OLINE at 2, even if we somehow managed to snag Heenan, which i think is doubtful. Would be nice and did say i think we have as good of a chance as anyone if he makes it to the 10th but.. that's just wishful thinking. Reality is, it's unlikely most the guys "we want" even make it to free agency. 

There will be a deal or two out there for us that will make this team better, and I think Walters will get something like that done, but getting a guy like Rogers just doesn't have the same fist-pumping reaction as a Holmes or Heenan.  For obvious reasons.

and yet Taman is quoted as saying that Dressler basically signed for what he budgeted and that they won't have to dump salary. Also quoted as saying that he only wants to lose Heenan to NFL. If he stays north, they'll be "very aggressive"....how??

Cap is a myth in SK. No way a Regina boy sees Free Agency. 

Amazing how skilled a GM Taman is when he gets to play with Monopoly money. 

They will sign Heenan at the last second to a lower than expected contract. Then they will restructure Getz to something less. 

And we'll all be like "how?" And the answer will be when Heenan and Getz show up in new cars or fat off season jobs. 

Seriously, screw that entire province. I liked them better when they were poor.