Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

Losing butler and sheets hurt them more than all five of those guys

Good one.

Is it that far off?  Sheets was by far the best running back in the CFL.. he was dominant.  And Butler was a high end Canadian starter.

Did you forget about Jon Cornish? Are Picard and Heenan not high end Canadian starters? 

Sheets was better than Cornish, IMO.  And by a fair margin. 

Of course the loss of Picard and Heenan hurts as well.  Just saying that losing Sheets and Butler is not that far removed in terms of impact, especially because they have a replacement lined up for Picard which they didn't really have for Butler or Sheets.

Good one.

Is it that far off?  Sheets was by far the best running back in the CFL.. he was dominant.  And Butler was a high end Canadian starter.

After seeing 4 different backs put up dominating games in 2014 behind that Oline, I'm inclined to say 2013 wasn't all on Sheets.

Is anything in football ever all on one player?  He was a game-breaking RB but of course he was helped by having a stellar OL in front of him.

Good one.

After seeing 4 different backs put up dominating games in 2014 behind that Oline, I'm inclined to say 2013 wasn't all on Sheets.

Is anything in football ever all on one player?  He was a game-breaking RB but of course he was helped by having a stellar OL in front of him.

He's better than all 4 of the guys they used this year, but given the results they had with their run game this year it's hard to argue it was a big loss.  They were getting results no matter who they put back there.

Did I miss something? You are all talking like Heenan is gone. Aren't you guys a couple of weeks premature? Or is Lawless now Heenan's agent and the deal is done already but the Bombers are waiting for a good time to announce? Like after Heenan is an actual free agent.

We all enjoy green sweat but Heenan might just be pushing up the price with intentions of re signing anyway. 

Did I miss something? You are all talking like Heenan is gone. Aren't you guys a couple of weeks premature? Or is Lawless now Heenan's agent and the deal is done already but the Bombers are waiting for a good time to announce? Like after Heenan is an actual free agent.

We all enjoy green sweat but Heenan might just be pushing up the price with intentions of re signing anyway. 

We are merely exploring the possibility of various threads of future realities.

I've been pretty dismissive of Heenan's potential relocation for the reason you mention, and I still wouldn't put the chance much higher than 20%, but that's 19 better than the 1% I would have given it a month ago.

It must be Jpan's barbershop quartet - giving me some kind of false hope.

I wonder if Montreal hired Kavis as a STC because he's been so effective for them in the Grey Cup

I saw a joke similar to this on twitter yesterday... It was something to the effect of "makes sense, he's already won Mtl a Grey Cup as a ST Coordinator"... pretty funny... only cuz it's at the expense of the Riders...

Quite a hangover that grey cup 2013. Nothing like mortgaging your future.

We interrupt your childish ongoing pot shots at the Riders for this public service announcement:  The Riders at least won the grey cup in 2013 unlike the Cats who have lost 2 in a row. Are you going for a three peat this year?     

Could you imagine if the Riders lost...and I'm only including players who have suggested they will test FA, had NFL workouts, or are gone already and by no means is inclusive of all their potential losses....Picard, Heenan, Hurl, Brackenridge, and Peters. That represents 20% of their starting lineup and is likely not even close to all the players they may lose. I know Taman won't say it, the Rider fans won't admit it, but they have got to be sweating bullets in Rider land right now. This offseason has the makings to be a Titanic like offseason similar to the one we had in the mass exodus of '08.

Picard is not a big loss and will be replaced for less money, Great player but in the twilight of his career and not worth the 195k the bombers are paying him. Heenan is a big loss if he leaves but money will factor in. Hurl has had multiple opportunities to establish himself as a starter and hasn't, hardly a big loss if he leaves. Brackenridge is good would like to see him stay but our secondary is excellent and has lots of depth to replace him cheaper i.e. Legree.  Peters came on as the year went on, could be a good one.  Sweating bullets, hardly.. 

We interrupt your childish ongoing pot shots at the Riders for this public service announcement:  The Riders at least won the grey cup in 2013 unlike the Cats who have lost 2 in a row. Are you going for a three peat this year?     

Pot shots at the Riders are perfectly acceptable over here.

Chamblin and Co. have painted a huge bullseye on themselves with the decisions and player moves they made recently. Think you're an elite outfit ? Expect scrutiny.

Could you imagine if the Riders lost...and I'm only including players who have suggested they will test FA, had NFL workouts, or are gone already and by no means is inclusive of all their potential losses....Picard, Heenan, Hurl, Brackenridge, and Peters. That represents 20% of their starting lineup and is likely not even close to all the players they may lose. I know Taman won't say it, the Rider fans won't admit it, but they have got to be sweating bullets in Rider land right now. This offseason has the makings to be a Titanic like offseason similar to the one we had in the mass exodus of '08.

Picard is not a big loss and will be replaced for less money, Great player but in the twilight of his career and not worth the 195k the bombers are paying him. Heenan is a big loss if he leaves but money will factor in. Hurl has had multiple opportunities to establish himself as a starter and hasn't, hardly a big loss if he leaves. Brackenridge is good would like to see him stay but our secondary is excellent and has lots of depth to replace him cheaper i.e. Legree.  Peters came on as the year went on, could be a good one.  Sweating bullets, hardly.. 

I was sort of with you and your reasoning, only moderate amounts of denial, until you got to the part where your "secondary was excellent".  Your secondary sucks is statistically very average but in reality sucks.  Your Dline might have been the best in the league, and without the tremendous amount of pressure they created I have little doubt the middle of the pack Rider secondary would have finished at the bottom.

You're aware of which forum you're on, correct? Shots at the Riders are encouraged, expected and welcomed. 

Pot shots at the Riders are perfectly acceptable over here.

I have nothing against the Riders or their fans, but I certainly understand why constant chest-thumping from an organization that has won 4 Grey Cups in 104 seasons in a league that has single-digit teams would be tiresome to many.

You're aware of which forum you're on, correct? Shots at the Riders are encouraged, expected and welcomed. 

In fact, that's in the disclaimer when you register for an account here!

/innocent look

I didn't join the forum to defend "all things Riders", rather to enjoy some football discussion and I know shots at the riders are the norm here.  For those of you who have ever read my posts on riderfans, I don't tow the company line and ask hard questions about Chamblin and co. I will however fire the occasional shot back just to keep things interesting. No hard feelings on my end and none were intended to you guys either. As far as the 2013 grey cup, maybe too much was invested, hard to say but we won and that's what matters. Even though many of you won't admit it I'm sure some here would like to see the Bombers go all in to try to be in the game this year. Getting a chance to win the cup at home is something I'll never forget. And if the Bombers do it this year that would/will be awesome for you guys, I really mean that.  I'm hoping my Riders will have a little something to say about though.  We do have some fans that pound their chests, so does every other team in sports on the planet earth.