Quarterback controversy?

gbill2004

No disrespect to Brohm, I love having a backup QB who can come in and play, but at this point I think as a HC you completely throw out any notion of a QB controversy.  Willy has been suffering enough from taking those hits in the pocket and to bring this up would severely damage his confidence.

Sorry, but if I'm a HC, I'm saying no to this.  Now, in the spring training camp and as next season came along, if I saw Brohm's game pick up tremendously, maybe I'd consider a competition next year, but absolutely not right now.

It really depends on how banged up Willy is. If he isn't close to 100 percent then play Brohm again. If Willy has healed up Willy goes back in.

If Brohm stinks up the joint the Willy goes back in if he can grip the football.

Anyone can have one good game at any given time. Just ask Ryan Dinwiddie. Brohm is a B- quarterback at best.

But if he has a great game and the Bombers win, does he start again next week, even if Willy is healthy?

No.  He doesn't .. if Willy is healthy and the team is committed to him as our starting quarterback .. you let Willy play .. he needs the reps .. he needs to learn to deal with the ups and downs of a season (not just a game) .. it's all part of his development as a starter ..

gbill2004, on 17 Oct 2014 - 3:57 PM, said:gbill2004, on 17 Oct 2014 - 3:57 PM, said:

Mr. Perfect, on 17 Oct 2014 - 3:50 PM, said:Mr. Perfect, on 17 Oct 2014 - 3:50 PM, said:

Anyone can have one good game at any given time. Just ask Ryan Dinwiddie. Brohm is a B- quarterback at best.

But if he has a great game and the Bombers win, does he start again next week, even if Willy is healthy?

If Willy is healthy?  No.

I hope Brohm goes out there tomorrow and gets a much needed win for us, but right now we cannot afford a can of worms being opened up at the QB position.  We gotta keep the team in harmony and we've already seen enough upheaval now with the Grigsby situation.  Different player, but you gotta keep the team together by stating that Willy is your man 100%, no matter what the outcome of this next game with Brohm is.

I think a better way of approaching this, is that if Brohm in his start or in his other limited backup play goes out and does well, maybe you look at trading him to another team for an O-lineman or 2 in the offseason, or use him to make a move elsewhere.

Well I appreciate the positive outlook - that Brohm will play so well that a QB controversy should be discussed.  I hope it happens, since I'll have to sit there and watch whatever performance he puts up.

But no.  If Willy is healthy he will play almost every remaining snap this season.  He's a first year starter and needs the reps.

The only way Willy doesnt play if he *could* play is if he's hurt but willing to gut it out and Brohm is tremendous this week.  *THEN* maybe they say f*ck it, let Willy heal up.  But even then, I doubt it.  Some players can lose their job to injury.  Your young starting QB that has every sign of being a franchise player?  He doesnt lose his job.  Period.

Kind of blows me away that people would even be open to the idea of a controversy, to be honest.

I think we've suffered for so long without a QB that it's like we don't want to believe we've got one. Even the elite QBs have bad days and as far as I'm concerned, Drew Willy is in the class of the future elite in this league. That doesn't mean he's going to be perfect, but it does mean he's going to be our starter for a looooong time.

Kind of blows me away that people would even be open to the idea of a controversy, to be honest.

I think we've suffered for so long without a QB that it's like we don't want to believe we've got one. Even the elite QBs have bad days and as far as I'm concerned, Drew Willy is in the class of the future elite in this league. That doesn't mean he's going to be perfect, but it does mean he's going to be our starter for a looooong time.

So you're saying you wouldn't want two bonafide CFL QBs? That'd be a dream. That's one reason Calgary has been so successful.

And it's nothing against Willy; he's great. But it sure would be nice to see Brohm succeed as well.

So you're saying you wouldn't want two bonafide CFL QBs? That'd be a dream. That's one reason Calgary has been so successful.

And it's nothing against Willy; he's great. But it sure would be nice to see Brohm succeed as well.

Nothing wrong with two bonafide QBs. But that doesn't necessarily mean a controversy. Look at Calgary. BLM and Tate, both legit. No controversy because the roles are defined. That's what I want here - defined roles.

If Drew Willy is even anywhere near 75% going into last week, I'd be shocked. This guy is REALLY banged up..and they STILL thought it best to play the guy. We're not going to see the real Drew Willy again till next summer at the earliest. I know he needs the reps, but for what it's worth, I'm happy letting Brohm and Marve play so DW can get healthy.