Quarterback controversy?

gbill2004

Noeller, on 18 Oct 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

Brohm looked better than Marve, but Willy is the guy. When healthy, they're not even close to Willy.

Make no mistake, Brohm did a great job going through his progressions and finding the right reads, but he lacks both the mobility and the arm strength that Marve brings to the table.  And that was playing him on the fly with basically no prep.  I'd like to think if he was given a full week to prepare for a start, he would be even better.  But I fully expect Willy will be back next week and playing with a chip on his shoulder.

Noeller, on 18 Oct 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

Brohm looked better than Marve, but Willy is the guy. When healthy, they're not even close to Willy.

Make no mistake, Brohm did a great job going through his progressions and finding the right reads, but he lacks both the mobility and the arm strength that Marve brings to the table.  And that was playing him on the fly with basically no prep.  I'd like to think if he was given a full week to prepare for a start, he would be even better.  But I fully expect Willy will be back next week and playing with a chip on his shoulder.

I think Brohm showed very well and I saw very good arm strength from him. He lacks mobility and his 'awareness' really needs work.

His release and recognition are fine but he's got to 'feel' that defensive pressure better.

As for Marve, he was very entertaining and was impressive but when you say he hasn't prepared, remember, the opposing team hasn't prepared for him either.

Willy, once he recovers, is still ahead of both those guys…but it is nice to know that the backup position is secure.

Marve has looked really good.... In extremely limited action. Let's remember how well QBs without game film have done against us..

If he gets a start next season or 2 and keeps looking as good as he has (IE when DC's get to game plan against him) then we can start to get excited...

Also, lack of knee ligaments and that much running makes me worry..

You absolutely must know with the current coaching staff he will not be given the opportunity to start unless he is the last man standing.  I look forward to the day when the Bombers have an OC that will play the appropriate QB for the appropriate situation instead of the one QB fits all scenario. 

My realistic hope is that they design a red-zone offence around Marve's talents and practice it enough to make use of it in games next season.

Marve has looked really good.... In extremely limited action. Let's remember how well QBs without game film have done against us..

If he gets a start next season or 2 and keeps looking as good as he has (IE when DC's get to game plan against him) then we can start to get excited...

Also, lack of knee ligaments and that much running makes me worry..

You absolutely must know with the current coaching staff he will not be given the opportunity to start unless he is the last man standing. I look forward to the day when the Bombers have an OC that will play the appropriate QB for the appropriate situation instead of the one QB fits all scenario.

My realistic hope is that they design a red-zone offence around Marve's talents and practice it enough to make use of it in games next season.

They already have a Red zone offense setup for Marve, we have seen it numerous times (even in this game prior to brohms injury)

Willy is #1 and he is so for a reason.. Id like to see a legit battle between brohm and Marve next season in TC and PS..

If the Bombers are going to spend the off-season trying to build a max-protect offence around Willy's immobility they are chasing the wrong chicken. They'll continue to fail at this approach until they acquire enough talent to form one of the best O-lines in the league and that could take years.

Better they work towards moving the pocket around and developing Willy's mobility to better avoid the crushing pass rush he plays under now.  I think Burris would be a good model to emulate as he uses his mobility mostly to relocate himself but usually throws from a fixed stance.

Brohm and Marve have proven that the Bombers can give Willy another game or two off in order to heal, which isn't a bad thing. To give either of them the starters job over Willy with the limited action we've seen is extremely unfair to Willy and what's he's accomplished. However, Willy being named the starter without truly earning it, is a different conversation.

Brohm looked real good to me, and he looks better each time he plays.  It's too bad he's done for the season.  

Marve looked like a guy who is a home run hitter, the type who will strikeout a ton too.  Tonight he hit a couple home runs, but some of those throws... :wacko:

To be honest I don't know if he was good or lucky on that completion he made on that "Houdini" play.  If I had my druthers I would have been very happy with him throwing the ball out of bounds on that kind of play because typically that throw would end up as a pick.

Brohm looked real good to me, and he looks better each time he plays.  It's too bad he's done for the season.  

Marve looked like a guy who is a home run hitter, the type who will strikeout a ton too.  Tonight he hit a couple home runs, but some of those throws... :wacko:

To be honest I don't know if he was good or lucky on that completion he made on that "Houdini" play.  If I had my druthers I would have been very happy with him throwing the ball out of bounds on that kind of play because typically that throw would end up as a pick.

That one and about 3 more.  I hope the people who are happy with his reckless play when it works aren't the ones jumping on his back when it doesn't, but we know how that goes.

Many of the best Qbs in CFl history made a living of "Houdini" plays instead of throwing the ball out of bounds.  Flutie and Allen come to mind.

Many of the best Qbs in CFl history made a living of "Houdini" plays instead of throwing the ball out of bounds.  Flutie and Allen come to mind.

They wasn't rookies.

They wasn't rookies.

They were at one point.