Burke

Asked an honest question.  Gave an honest answer.

Where does he say "you know, Im a hell of a coach.  Im fantastic.  These players are the shits."

If you all want every coach etc to lie, then why should we bother with interviews at all.  Would it be that much more interesting if he said "well, it was my dream to be a coach and it was the perfect opportunity because we had such a wonderful organization and top flight talent in all positions.  But I sucked."

He expressed it was tough taking over in the middle of the season.  Sounds reasonable.

He said he hated seeing a coach fired in the middle of the season.  Sounds reasonable.

He said he didnt really want the job.  That's an interesting response I would have expanded on but it sounds like he didnt want the job because he knew he was walking into a **** show.

He said he took it because someone had to.  He's not savvy enough to frame this in a more positive way but clearly he means he felt a duty to step up when asked even though he knew the team was not in a position to compete.  Which happens to be true.  So, Burke was right.  Burke was honest.  And I never got the impression he was maliciously throwing players under the bus.  I think once a few people coined that phrase to describe him, it was always going to stick.  if he came out and said "Our QB was the second best player in the league", a bunch of people would say "see, Burke's ripping on the QB again".

People on the internet are far to quick to insult and degrade people.  Im just saying Burke came to Winnipeg,did his best, was a HELL of a DC.  He deserves a bit more respect.  A lot of people ripping him, if they saw him in person, would get an autograph and a selfie.

I think what some of us take issue with is his apparent lack of shared accountability displayed here in these quotes. It really had nothing to do with spinning, lying, being honest to a fault.

I don't think it's lying, I don't think it's misguided if he had said 'We lost as a team, we, all of us, did not perform to the standards needed and ultimately, as the Head Coach of this football team, I take responsibility for that'.

When things are in the past, a classy person takes the high road and says nice things. You gain nothing by shitting on everyone and the whole situation. But this shows me Burke's true colours. Thank goodness for MOS (...so far...)

Agree with this.

Here is the thing.   When MOS is asked in press conferences what keeps him up at night or where is he most worried about his roster his answer is always something along the lines of .... I don't worry about those things, we have 46 guys who have to be able to start, thats just the way it is.

Do you think he really believes that if some of the players on this roster are starting we have a hope in hell of winning of course not.   But here is the thing, every now and then, some of those guys who the coach thinks can't start, when he gets put out there, he shows up and shows something they've never seen before.  That doesn't happen with a coach who is "brutally honest" like Burke.  When it is obvious that the coach doesn't believe in the team.

The head coach is the leader of the team, he sets the pace and the tone.  And with leadership, sometimes you just have to stretch the truth for the good of those under you.  Some men are born to lead and some aren't.  

Oh sure Burke you assclown, blame it entirely on the players.  Sure the talent was below par, but come on...

You were the leader.  You had the opportunity to show your leadership skills and do something with what you had.  You either chose not to, or you were incapable.  Neither is an admirable quality for a future HC.

I've never had less respect for Burke than I do now. 

Not only did Burke inherit a team lacking in talent but he also got stuck with a green CFL coaching staff held over from LaPo's bad hires. First and foremost was an OC with no clue. A recipe for failure. Don't take a HC job just to be a HC. Make sure the situation and circumstances are right and you have the control in players and staffing to give you the best chance of success. Clearly that was not the case for Burke in Winnipeg. He realized it so give him a break.

He didn't have to keep Lapo's assistants - he chose to keep them. He said before he even had the interim label taken off that he would keep Crowton as OC. After the season ended, he was asked if he was going to keep Lapo's assistants and he said most of them.

Not only did Burke inherit a team lacking in talent but he also got stuck with a green CFL coaching staff held over from LaPo's bad hires. First and foremost was an OC with no clue. A recipe for failure. Don't take a HC job just to be a HC. Make sure the situation and circumstances are right and you have the control in players and staffing to give you the best chance of success. Clearly that was not the case for Burke in Winnipeg. He realized it so give him a break.

No you're giving him a break! It all started with the brilliant statement " I don't know anything about offence"

Burke is honest to a fault. He clearly is being genuine. It would be easier to lie. He's not throwing anyone under the bus. He's being honest. There are still people on here who whine about Mike Kelly. I wonder how many years will pass before they stop whining about Tim Burke.

Ok you date him then! The rest of us...well not so much...what is Burke really saying? that unless he has a strong team with strong players and a very good quarterback...he is doomed to fail...I guess that is being honest in a way...he is admitting he is a terrible coach! What a joke!

No thats not what he said.  Its one thing to rip on a guy for what he says but you have to make it sound even worse to make your point?  I believe he said one thing he learned was you need talent to compete.  News flash, thats true.

Who says it's honest?

A 3-15 records says he's being honest about their being very little talent on that team.

Why even have a coach at all if it's only about the talent? 

Give Burke Calgary's roster, and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts it is sub .500. 

He is simply not cut out for leadership.

Exactly.  I guess there are loads of people on here who have never found themselves in a bad situation or taken on a job that they struggled with for whatever reason.  Some blessed lives on here.  If the worst thing Burke did was simply not be a good enough head coach, oh well, lesson learned.  Blame should lay with the guy who elevated him to that position.

Burke came to Winnipeg and was a tremendous DC.  He further took on a role, seemingly out of a sense of duty, that he knew was a bad situation and would likely hurt his career.  He tried.  He did his best.  Some people need to get over it.

No you're giving him a break! It all started with the brilliant statement " I don't know anything about offence"

That is really understating it there Tim.

But answer me this, seeing as Defence is your forte, why wasn't there any involvement in improving that abysmal defence that you help design?

Why were there no in game adjustments?

Why were QBs able to come in and, seeing your defence, able to complete an astounding 27 out of 20 passes, even though that's physically impossible?

Yes, Tim, it was all on the players.

Burke came here from Montreal for one reason: to have the opportunity to be a head coach. That's on record. Now he says he never wanted it. Ok, then why come back for a second year? Surely the Bombers could have found someone else with an entire off-season to work with. He's a lying sack-o-crap who takes responsibility for nothing. Even as DC he gets Creehan to do his dirty work.

No offense meant here, but I strongly disagree here. Mack had all off season, after given a mandate by Butchko, to get a Qb, and what did he do? Who did he get? No, Mack was not going to get a better head coach because he was a lazy sack of **** and always took the easy way out. 

Exactly.  I guess there are loads of people on here who have never found themselves in a bad situation or taken on a job that they struggled with for whatever reason.  Some blessed lives on here.  If the worst thing Burke did was simply not be a good enough head coach, oh well, lesson learned.  Blame should lay with the guy who elevated him to that position.

Burke came to Winnipeg and was a tremendous DC.  He further took on a role, seemingly out of a sense of duty, that he knew was a bad situation and would likely hurt his career.  He tried.  He did his best.  Some people need to get over it.

I agree in the sense that if you talk to Tim Burke for 2 1/2 minutes (even though you had 2 1/2 years), you should get the sense that he's not a leader, and that by extension a very poor leader for one of the youngest assemblies of talent in the CFL.

But to not place blame at Burke's feet for failing to lead, for failing to motivate, for failing to get even an average level of effort out of the team... Burke had an opportunity to show those abilities, and chose not to.  How can you be doing your best, when you choose not to do anything to solve your problem?

Burke is honest to a fault. He clearly is being genuine. It would be easier to lie. He's not throwing anyone under the bus. He's being honest. There are still people on here who whine about Mike Kelly. I wonder how many years will pass before they stop whining about Tim Burke.

Ok you date him then! The rest of us...well not so much...what is Burke really saying? that unless he has a strong team with strong players and a very good quarterback...he is doomed to fail...I guess that is being honest in a way...he is admitting he is a terrible coach! What a joke!

No thats not what he said.  Its one thing to rip on a guy for what he says but you have to make it sound even worse to make your point?  I believe he said one thing he learned was you need talent to compete.  News flash, thats true.

Here's the thing Unknown Poster, Burke has no leadership qualities about him, none. If you think he does, give me some examples. I can give you a thousand examples of why he doesn't, I doubt you can give me one example of a leadership quality about him. As the head coach, it's HIS FREAKING SHOW. Don't you understand that at all? Have you not comprehended what a head coach does? He makes the 'final decisions', he 'sets the tone' for the players. 

Tell, what tone did he set? Please. I'd really like to hear your answer here. Think about it first, and be honest. And lets think back to the Goltz fiasco, when he announced him as the starter for the rest of the year, then 10 days later said he wasn't and said it was the "offense's decision". Does that sound like a leader to you? Does that sound like someone who is taking charge. 

Tim Burke is a damn good DC, no argument there. He can sit back, work on defensive schemes, and then call defenses for various situations. But he can't make decisions outside of that, and he proved it time and time again. As a head coach he was in way over his head. The teams record has nothing to do with it. The 'talent' has nothing to do with it. The issue was the overall attitude of the team, which takes on the personality of the Head Coach. Tell me, how many games last year did the bombers 'compete' in? I'll tell you if don't know  - ONE - the banjo bowl. The other two wins they got was a result of Montreal playing worse than us, not because we played 'better' because we played bad in those games too. 

I can't understand how you can defend him. Now, if Burke had said, in that interview, that he was in over his head, and didn't have the personal experience to run a team in that situation, and that ultimately what happens on the field rests with him, then I'd have gained some respect back. But I lost all my respect for him last year given how he never took responsibility for anything. So this article doesn't change how I feel.

Says you...how much of that 3-15 is Burke's fault? You're justifying conclusions with your personal beliefs. That's way too much of a 17to85 -type of rationale...be better than that STL... 

you are trying to lecture me on believing things just because you believe them? Give me a break. You are the king of making up your mind quickly and never changing it no matter how much evidence presents itself.

Why is giving an honest assessment of the situation shitting on it? If you want warm and fuzzy tune in a typical cliche driven sports interview.

because a truly honest answer would include recognizing his own failings as a coach of which there were many. Again no one is saying Tim Burke is a crappy head coach because the team lost games, we say he is a crappy head coach because of HOW the team lost games. You can compare similar rosters with Lapo and Burke and Lapos teams at least showed some backbone and some fight even if they lost games they were in games, Burkes teams just rolled over and died and that reflects on the head coach.

I surprised to see that some folks think that saying nothing but positive things is leading.  It's not.  

Leaders need to be able to sell the dream. Present a plan.  Get buy in.  Be honest with everyone (Not just sunshine and rainbows).  Ensure everyone takes personal responsibility.  Show they are on the right track.  Progress towards the shared goal.  Burke failed at all of them, except the honesty part, and folks around here are raking him over the coals for that.  

Face it folks.  We didn't have the talent on the field, in the coaching staff or in management.  Replacing a HC mid -season, especially when his team finally showed a little something in a game is a bad idea.  Taking on a job you know you are doomed to fail at out of a sense of responsibility is both dumb and somewhat heroic as is being honest to a fault.   

I surprised to see that some folks think that saying nothing but positive things is leading.  It's not.  

Leaders need to be able to sell the dream. Present a plan.  Get buy in.  Be honest with everyone (Not just sunshine and rainbows).  Ensure everyone takes personal responsibility.  Show they are on the right track.  Progress towards the shared goal.  Burke failed at all of them, except the honesty part, and folks around here are raking him over the coals for that.  

Face it folks.  We didn't have the talent on the field, in the coaching staff or in management.  Replacing a HC mid -season, especially when his team finally showed a little something in a game is a bad idea.  Taking on a job you know you are doomed to fail at out of a sense of responsibility is both dumb and somewhat heroic as is being honest to a fault.   

Be honest in the locker room.

Take the bullet in public.

Says you...how much of that 3-15 is Burke's fault? You're justifying conclusions with your personal beliefs. That's way too much of a 17to85 -type of rationale...be better than that STL... 

This is all sorts of stupid. You're putting the entire blame on Burke so you can justify your online fellating of Mack over the past several years.

A 3-15 record tells a story of bad coaching and little talent. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.