Alex Hall Traded

Rich

Apparently I'm in the minority but I think Walters did pretty darn good for this one.  Hall was a goner - and the rest of the league knew it.  Giving up the second rounder sucks, but they clearly think this linemen is at least decent.  

Walters got value (Neufeld) for very little (essentially a second round pick).

I agree totally. As well there is no reason we can't resign Hall next year if he does not catch on in the NFL.Well done Walters.

if you actually believe there is a chance Hall re-signs here you're insane. Why come back to this place after he gets a taste of a winning team?  No as soon as you trade him you ain't getting him back. 

So not trading him would have guaranteed he came back and played for us, got it.

Yes because starting NI tackles are dropping from trees....right.

So any NI who started some games at tackle is a "starting NI tackle?"  There's no variability in quality?  Paul Swiston is therefore a NI starting tackle now.  That's about the level of player we're getting, so don't get your hopes up too high.  Neufeld has much to prove.

The only reason this trade isn't a total fleecing is because we dumped a 14 pick for a 15 one when there will be a full draft pool, but there's no way we should have had to give up 2 rounds in that swap.  Neufeld isn't a top 6 OL for the Riders and had very little chance of making their team next season regardless of Ottawa.  Should have been no need to sweeten the pot, and if it was insisted upon, play hardball.

After Toarmina and Boatman how bad could it be?

Let's start 3 imports on the line instead, that was priceless and embarrassing to the whole organization/fan base.

The sooner they get back to doing things the right way the better, the better, and that starts by brining in NI's to compete for positions on the lines. And yes, this oline is so sad that any NI who can basically compete is an improvement.

This thing is freaking train wreck and needs major cleanup.

Walters really showed his inexperience with this one.  What's the rush?  Still another two days to make a deal.

I can't tell if some of these comments are jokes.

I think a quick lesson on the difference between trades in football and hockey would be helpful for Bomber fans. Again.

Yeah you're right, in the two days between last night and the trade deadline, Brendan Taman would have decided that he doesn't want a top 2 DE and a second round pick for a guy he wasn't even using.  That totally would have happened.

Or maybe another team was holding out and would have come up with a better offer in that time.  Too bad Walters blew it at the first sign of getting ANYTHING at all for Hall.  Looks like Walters is more concerned with impressing the local media than anything else.

This trade would be a win if it was Hall and our 4th for Neufeld...  but this second rounder really is a killer.  Everyone can **** all they want that its a 'thin' draft... and then we'll see if the 11th pick overall is playing ST or maybe starting next year.  I bet we could have found a pretty decent LB/ST player to instantly replace James Green/Dubuisson.

Draft an OL with 2nd and a good ST maybe backup LB with the 11th... too late now.

This trade would be a win if it was Hall and our 4th for Neufeld...  but this second rounder really is a killer.  Everyone can **** all they want that its a 'thin' draft... and then we'll see if the 11th pick overall is playing ST or maybe starting next year.  I bet we could have found a pretty decent LB/ST player to instantly replace James Green/Dubuisson.

Draft an OL with 2nd and a good ST maybe backup LB with the 11th... too late now.

This isn't the final step, back off from the ledge.

There are clearly going to be more moves coming.

I like that we got a young somewhat experienced NI O lineman and I don't care that we had to give up Hall for the rest of the year.

I do think that giving up our 2nd round, the 11th overall pick, next year is overpaying for Neufield who the Riders would have probably lost for nothing to Ottawa.  We need to upgrade our NI's and the top two rounds of the draft is where our NI future lies.  I don't care about any 4th round picks as they truly are a crap shoot.  

I like that we got a young somewhat experienced NI O lineman and I don't care that we had to give up Hall for the rest of the year.

I do think that giving up our 2nd round, the 11th overall pick, next year is overpaying for Neufield who the Riders would have probably lost for nothing to Ottawa. We need to upgrade our NI's and the top two rounds of the draft is where our NI future lies. I don't care about any 4th round picks as they truly are a crap shoot.

First round picks are a crap shoot, how many first rounders in the last few years have made a big impact. Heck we seen early picks get cut in training camp!

Well, looking at Brent Jones in Calgary & Mike Edem in Montreal  & you just don't assume it's a crap shoot so that automatically justifies trading away a second rounder. Calgary & Montreal knew what they were doing & almost always have judging by their overall drafting record. Winnipeg was all about going off the board with guys like Pencer & Etienne. Mack not listening to Walters imploring him to pick Mike Edem instead of Andy Mulamba. The Bombers draft record is a crap shoot because Joe Mack treated it like that.

Walters really showed his inexperience with this one.  What's the rush?  Still another two days to make a deal.

I can't tell if some of these comments are jokes.

I think a quick lesson on the difference between trades in football and hockey would be helpful for Bomber fans. Again.

Yeah you're right, in the two days between last night and the trade deadline, Brendan Taman would have decided that he doesn't want a top 2 DE and a second round pick for a guy he wasn't even using.  That totally would have happened.

Or maybe another team was holding out and would have come up with a better offer in that time.  Too bad Walters blew it at the first sign of getting ANYTHING at all for Hall.  Looks like Walters is more concerned with impressing the local media than anything else.

Are you arguing with yourself?

Well, looking at Brent Jones in Calgary & Mike Edem in Montreal  & you just don't assume it's a crap shoot so that automatically justifies trading away a second rounder. Calgary & Montreal knew what they were doing & almost always have judging by their overall drafting record. Winnipeg was all about going off the board with guys like Pencer & Etienne. Mack not listening to Walters imploring him to pick Mike Edem instead of Andy Mulamba. The Bombers draft record is a crap shoot because Joe Mack treated it like that.

Damn straight iso, the chickens have come home to roost, and all the Mack fan boys are licking the egg off their faces poo pooing about 2nd round picks.....hilarious to see. :D

and given the way Walters knows Canadian players, forgive me if I said with him on this one. ;)

does he? what proof do we have of that exactly? It's one more area where Walters has a lot to prove. I'll point out that his one big NI addition to the team so far has been foster who hasn't done anything noticable except drop passes. His solution (though I put that more on the coaches too) to the kicking game was a downgrade. 

And he was supposed to know that how? It was Burke and Dickinson that wanted a new kicker!

Damn straight iso, the chickens have come home to roost, and all the Mack fan boys are licking the egg off their faces poo pooing about 2nd round picks.....hilarious to see. :D

What does that even mean?

The facts are the facts. Can't deny them anymore. Before the season there were fans who wanted Joe Mack to stay because they didn't want the team blown up & starting over. Well, the results speak for themselves. This team blew itself up with all the bad  hires from President, to GM to HC. One common denominator... The BOD specifically Joe Pop & Paul Robson who hired their buddy Joe Mack which is of course, The Bomber Way. Both have long since run for the hills. No poop on them.

Wow.  So many people don't get it.  

Who gives a damn that he would have gone to Ottawa?  He wouldn't have come here. 

Must we make list of all the failed 2nd rounders in the past?  Straight away he's a "safer" bet than those guys to play right away.

Most people here have praised Walters for his knowledge of CIS football and Canadian talent - and now there's a bunch of experts crying out now?  Just seemed stupid to me.

It's not about Neufeld. It's about giving up the 11th pick in the draft for nothing. I & others have already said that if it was a one for one trade we'd be fine with it.  A win/win for both teams. We already gave up Hall for Neufeld. But why do we give up an additional second rounder & they only give up a fourth? Can you answer me that?

Hmmmmm Hall:  will play out the season, going to leave immediately after,  Bombers have proven to have reasonable depth on the DL

Neufeld: Canadian, OL (our OL is GOD AWFUL), not sure the length of his contract but at least a season left.  Bombers CLEARLY need this over another DL for the remainder of one of the most piss poor seasons in recent memory. 

The second for fourth makes up for the gaping discrepancies in the type of player and their contracts, plain and simple.

"It's not about Neufeld" is just ridiculous.  HE'S ONE OF TWO PLAYERS IN THE TRADE, ffs.  

It's not about Neufeld. It's about giving up the 11th pick in the draft for nothing. I & others have already said that if it was a one for one trade we'd be fine with it.  A win/win for both teams. We already gave up Hall for Neufeld. But why do we give up an additional second rounder & they only give up a fourth? Can you answer me that?

Well, considering that the Bombers were tracking Neufeld back when he was a free agent candidate, I would have to assume it is about Neufeld.

And  you think the trade was an import with possibly 7 games left in his CFL career for a NI roster player who's signed for at least 36 games?

No..it was the whole package. They gave up NI Neufeld and that's the reason for the upgrade in picks.

Hmmmmm Hall:  will play out the season, going to leave immediately after,  Bombers have proven to have reasonable depth on the DL

Neufeld: Canadian, OL (our OL is GOD AWFUL), not sure the length of his contract but at least a season left.  Bombers CLEARLY need this over another DL for the remainder of one of the most piss poor seasons in recent memory. 

The second for fourth makes up for the gaping discrepancies in the type of player and their contracts, plain and simple.

"It's not about Neufeld" is just ridiculous.  HE'S ONE OF TWO PLAYERS IN THE TRADE, ffs.  

It's asset management. Neufeld as a likely loss to Ottawa and not playing in saskatchewan should have low value to them. Hall being one of the best players in the league at his position and the riders looking to play in the home Grey Cup should have help value to them. There is no way the picks should have needed to be involved especially not the 11th overall pick.Taman played Walters like a fiddle. Walters got a player in his head and over payed to get him. 

"B/c that's what had to be done to get Neufeld", said a guy with a grasp of the obvious.

It's asset management. Neufeld as a likely loss to Ottawa and not playing in saskatchewan should have low value to them. Hall being one of the best players in the league at his position and the riders looking to play in the home Grey Cup should have help value to them. There is no way the picks should have needed to be involved especially not the 11th overall pick.Taman played Walters like a fiddle. Walters got a player in his head and over payed to get him. 

Exactly. It can't be any more plain that. We already gave up Hall to get Neufeld. Why did we have to give up an additional second round pick & Sask their fourth? Why?? How does that help us??

the more I think about it, the more I think the draft picks shoulda been conditional. If Hall bolts for the NFL, then they get the 2nd rounder as a sort of compensation, and we get a 4th, but if he re-signs there, then this REALLY looks silly on our part.....so no draft picks should move... 

It would be worthwhile for some to listen to Walters' presser on the trade that was made, and an all around talk of the draft and how teams are talking to him and talks are back on with Henoc's agent, etc. etc

Walters:

I'm quite confident that with our second round pick we would not have been able to get a player of Neufeld's quality....

this is around the 12:00 minute mark and should ease some angst among us.

http://bluebombers.com/video/index/id/90791?autostart=true