Alex Hall Traded

Rich

Here's a list of 2nd round draft picks over the last several seasons...

2013 - 

Charles, Stefan Robertson, Kristopher Haidara, Seydou Junior D'Aguilar, Ben Shahin, Hosam Urban, Brent Jones, Brett Gabriel, Jermaine

2012 - 

Laing, Cleyon Plesius, Frédéric Lavoie, Patrick Hurl, Samuel Rockhill, Carson Capicciotti, Justin Stephen, Courtney

2011 - 

Petrus, Moe O'Neill, Hugh Butler, Craig Forbes, Maurice Lopez, Hugo O'Donnell, Matthew Barrette, Anthony Turner, Junior

2010 - 

Sisco, Jordan Watson, Cory Gore, Shawn Shaw, Grant Borhot, Saleem Allen, Taurean Ihekwoaba, Chima Dublanko, Curtis

2009 - 

Lambros, Matt Hinse, Gordon Sterling, Dee Hinds, Ryan Bedard, Martin Singer, Matt Black, Tristan George, Tamon

So really out of this complete list maybe 20% of the players ever made the team and really how many would you say are greatly better then Neufeld?

The Canadian Draft is a complete crap shoot like I said before,   people make this out to being like the NFL draft where the first 4 rounds almost guarantees that the player will have a complete NFL career.  

Walters made the right move,  Neufeld can play NOW and while he is average,  that alone is better then crap like Boatman and Morley at this point in time.   O-linemen usually peak later in their career, so why not try the guy out and maybe he will gel and have a half decent career.   

I just find it funny that people are in an outrage and think that we got royally raped in the bum,   I don't see Robertson lighting it up for the Blue and he was a 2nd round pick... what about that Aaron Hargreaves fellow that Taman drafted in the 2nd round he really lit it up didn't he!  

Wow.  So many people don't get it.  

Who gives a damn that he would have gone to Ottawa?  He wouldn't have come here. 

Must we make list of all the failed 2nd rounders in the past?  Straight away he's a "safer" bet than those guys to play right away.

Most people here have praised Walters for his knowledge of CIS football and Canadian talent - and now there's a bunch of experts crying out now?  Just seemed stupid to me.

Neufeld is a fine addition, a prospect.  The problem for him here, and will be from the first day he sets foot on the field for practice, is that he's been labelled a "starting Canadian offensive lineman" by the fans and media, which he isn't.  The Riders tossed him in last season because they had ratio issues and he performed a little better than a speed bump.  He can't play inside, so he is going to have to make it at a position where it is tougher for NI's to make it over the long term.  Depending on the philosophy of the management and coach next season, Neufeld might be completely useless to us.  Trading for someone's 7th OL who is a fairly limited player on a 6 figure deal isn't a miracle.

2013 - 

Charles, Stefan Robertson, Kristopher Haidara, Seydou Junior D'Aguilar, Ben Shahin, Hosam Urban, Brent Jones, Brett Gabriel, Jermaine

2012 - 

Laing, Cleyon Plesius, Frédéric Lavoie, Patrick Hurl, Samuel Rockhill, Carson Capicciotti, Justin Stephen, Courtney

2011 - 

Petrus, Moe O'Neill, Hugh Butler, Craig Forbes, Maurice Lopez, Hugo O'Donnell, Matthew Barrette, Anthony Turner, Junior

2010 - 

Sisco, Jordan Watson, Cory Gore, Shawn Shaw, Grant Borhot, Saleem Allen, Taurean Ihekwoaba, Chima Dublanko, Curtis

2009 - 

Lambros, Matt Hinse, Gordon Sterling, Dee Hinds, Ryan Bedard, Martin Singer, Matt Black, Tristan George, Tamon

So really out of this complete list maybe 20% of the players ever made the team and really how many would you say are greatly better then Neufeld?

The Canadian Draft is a complete crap shoot like I said before,   people make this out to being like the NFL draft where the first 4 rounds almost guarantees that the player will have a complete NFL career.  

Walters made the right move,  Neufeld can play NOW and while he is average,  that alone is better then crap like Boatman and Morley at this point in time.   O-linemen usually peak later in their career, so why not try the guy out and maybe he will gel and have a half decent career.   

I just find it funny that people are in an outrage and think that we got royally raped in the bum,   I don't see Robertson lighting it up for the Blue and he was a 2nd round pick... what about that Aaron Hargreaves fellow that Taman drafted in the 2nd round he really lit it up didn't he!  

I'll give you a chance to go through that list and actually think before you make a fool of yourself.

I'll give you a chance to go through that list and actually think before you make a fool of yourself.

I went over the list,  the amount of guys who were drafted and still playing for the team is a bit higher then my estimate and it was around 40%.    However if you were to remove guys who simply ONLY play special teams... then it's much lower.  

Most of these guys are crap and out of all of them how many have been all stars?  

I went over the list,  the amount of guys who were drafted and still playing for the team is a bit higher then my estimate and it was around 40%.    However if you were to remove guys who simply ONLY play special teams... then it's much lower.  

Most of these guys are crap and out of all of them how many have been all stars?  

You're babbling again.

If you look at 'high' second round picks... there's a pretty good percentage of talented players.  2009 was a crap draft... 

Blah blah about Hargs all you want - 11th pick in 2007 was Mace, in 2008 it was Wojt.

Go through the 4th round and tell me how many picks work out.

It would be worthwhile for some to listen to Walters' presser on the trade that was made, and an all around talk of the draft and how teams are talking to him and talks are back on with Henoc's agent, etc. etc

Walters:

I'm quite confident that with our second round pick we would not have been able to get a player of Neufeld's quality....

this is around the 12:00 minute mark and should ease some angst among us.

http://bluebombers.com/video/index/id/90791?autostart=true

Sounds like he's channelling the spirit of Joe Mack...the spirit, or the ineptitude...one of the two.

Seriously, that comment sounds like he's trying to sidetrack the fact that he lost a 2nd round pick.  It's like "aw, the second round picks were **** anyway, so I thought I'd just throw this in for good measure".  I'm losing faith in this guy quick.  He's trying to make trades just to appease the fans.  "Oh look everyone...he's doing something...he got rid of Buck (for a shitty receiver) and now he got us a second rate Olineman...WOOHOO...he's teh Aw3s0mE!!!ONE1111".  So far, the only person he's brought in that seems to be worth ANYTHING is Kelly.  Foster, Boltus, Sims-Walker, DeAngelis...all crap.  And how many NFL cuts stuck around, other then Sims-Walker?

Go listen to Walters on H&L and stop posting. He explains the trade. Period.

Would appreciate including the link next time.

I did find the link and listened to Kyle Walters explain about the draft choices and yes I did have a little more appreciation for the homework he does regarding the players to be drafted.

He seems to be in tune with what he sees in the future drafts and what he expects to get out of them.

It not only makes me feel more comfortable with Kyle Walters but he impresses me in how he's handling this whole AGM situation.

He should be a serious candidate for the GM opening.

It also makes me wish our previous GM would have put more stock in what his asst. was telling him.

Here's one link:  

OR go to TSN radio 1290 for the podcast

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/tsn-1290-winnipeg-kyle-walters/id471359079?i=168981995&mt=2

2013 - 

2012 - 

2011 - 

2010 - 

2009 - 

It's actually over 50% so maybe you should brush up on your player knowledge.

It would be worthwhile for some to listen to Walters' presser on the trade that was made, and an all around talk of the draft and how teams are talking to him and talks are back on with Henoc's agent, etc. etc

Walters:

I'm quite confident that with our second round pick we would not have been able to get a player of Neufeld's quality....

Sounds like he's channelling the spirit of Joe Mack...the spirit, or the ineptitude...one of the two.

Seriously, that comment sounds like he's trying to sidetrack the fact that he lost a 2nd round pick.  It's like "aw, the second round picks were **** anyway, so I thought I'd just throw this in for good measure".  I'm losing faith in this guy quick.  He's trying to make trades just to appease the fans.  "Oh look everyone...he's doing something...he got rid of Buck (for a shitty receiver) and now he got us a second rate Olineman...WOOHOO...he's teh Aw3s0mE!!!ONE1111".  So far, the only person he's brought in that seems to be worth ANYTHING is Kelly.  Foster, Boltus, Sims-Walker, DeAngelis...all crap.  And how many NFL cuts stuck around, other then Sims-Walker?

To be fair, I think your expectations of what he should be doing mid-season are a little high. I would say the best thing Walters has done is purge some of the useless assets our team has to set us up in a better position to compete next year. His goal was never to compete seriously this year.

I disagree with the suggestion that Neufeld isnt really that good. He is 24, and not starting with the Riders is more indicative of how strong their starting 5 are. "Neufelds got good physical stature, good athletic ability and the rudiments of a really good offensive lineman," said offensive line coach Steve Buratto. "He's been well-coached at the University of Saskatchewan and being at training camp last year helped.

"He's a good, sound, fundamental football player>" 

Now, I  know  some of you are a little more humble and not trying to be armchair football coaches, but for those of you whom assume you know more than a guy whom has coached in alot of different positions in the CFL for over 20 years I'm more likely to listen to Buratto, whom has won a Grey Cup, appeared in another, and taken his team to the Semis. The kid will be a starter. I actually predict that our O-Line will likely have Parenteau at center next year, with Jones and January at Tackle and Neufeld as one of our starting guards and Greaves as the other. Pencer could challenge, though I dont think he's ready yet.

Walters:

To be fair, I think your expectations of what he should be doing mid-season are a little high. I would say the best thing Walters has done is purge some of the useless assets our team has to set us up in a better position to compete next year. His goal was never to compete seriously this year.

Even though Foster hasn't done much, its stuff like getting a young Canadian receiver for an old broken QB that Joe Mack would've never done.

Even though Foster hasn't done much, its stuff like getting a young Canadian receiver for an old broken QB that Joe Mack would've never done.

In fairness to Joe Mack, he did trade a broken Steven Jyles for a draft pick that turned into Jade Etienne... a young Canadian receiver

In fairness to Joe Mack, he did trade a broken Steven Jyles for a draft pick that turned into Jade Etienne... a young Canadian receiver

Oh yeah, a game changer that was... ;)

Oh yeah, a game changer that was... ;)

And Foster is...?

Jyles was coming off a career season and actually had value at the time. I remember quite a few people being upset we traded him, and then the Argos managed to parlay Jyles into Ray.

Jyles was coming off a career season and actually had value at the time. I remember quite a few people being upset we traded him, and then the Argos managed to parlay Jyles into Ray.

He also had a devastating shoulder injury and didn't play for the first half of the next season.  Anyone wanting him was taking a huge risk (as demonstrated by his poor play after returning) and Mack got a first round pick for him.