Alex Hall Traded

Rich

if he has so little trade value that we have to pay the riders to take him then don't trade him! or just trade him for a late round pick! Terrible asset management and no amount of spinning from you guys will change that fact. 

That's basically what we did. Neufeld for a 2nd rounder & Hall for a 4th rounder. Your previous post allowed for the fact that Neufeld & a 2nd rounder are equal value, so what's the problem?

if he has so little trade value that we have to pay the riders to take him then don't trade him! or just trade him for a late round pick! Terrible asset management and no amount of spinning from you guys will change that fact. 

That's basically what we did. Neufeld for a 2nd rounder & Hall for a 4th rounder. Your previous post allowed for the fact that Neufeld & a 2nd rounder are equal value, so what's the problem?

not wanting to admit he's clearly wrong

no sadly that's just more spin. No where is this trade being reported as Neufeld traded, Hall is the biggest part of this trade, he was traded for the o-lineman, but Walters couldn't pull the trigger on just that, he had to bend to Taman and add to make it happen. I don't think Neufeld for a 2nd is a good trade either for the record. Neufeld to me is something we already have on the roster. 

Take Hall out of the equation for a minute.

you can't do that because he's the key piece to this trade because he is the best player in the trade. Doesn't matter if he was gone anyway, the idea behind making those trades is to give something that may be gone and get something, we gave that plus something that could have been a long term solution in the draft pick. If the 2nd round pick and Neufeld have similar value then why did we include hall in the first place? Sorry people but Walters got schooled by a veteran GM on this trade. Taman gets a key piece for a grey cup try AND a pick to mitigate the loss of NI depth (someone that maybe he loses in the expansion draft anyway) Walters gets a player who may or may not be better than some of the guys on his team anyway.... trade for the sake of making a trade and he displayed poor asset management. 

He is the best player in the trade, no doubt, but you're overestimating his value to us and IMO to Sask.

For us - no value as of Wed.

Sask. might believe he'll be a key player to help them win the cup, but I don't.

They have competent DEs right now and Hall can't play MLB. That is where they need a high impact player.

Would they have made a better offer as of Wed.?

I don't believe they would have.

You're stuck on Hall's abilities, which are great, but have no value to us anymore.

That is why I say to take Hall out of the equation. 

no sadly that's just more spin. No where is this trade being reported as Neufeld traded, Hall is the biggest part of this trade, he was traded for the o-lineman, but Walters couldn't pull the trigger on just that, he had to bend to Taman and add to make it happen. I don't think Neufeld for a 2nd is a good trade either for the record. Neufeld to me is something we already have on the roster. 

So even though this trade meets what you previously said was ok (though now you've flip flopped...), it's no good b/c it's not being framed that way in the media? Alright...

I disagree that Hall has no value to the Bombers, he was one of the only reasons to watch this team currently, How do you value that? I put quite a bit of value on it. At least watching one of our players try and win the sack race was something to tune in for. This whole idea that some people are pushing that Hall was worthless is fantasy to me. If we can't get anything decent in return then keep him for the year, let him try the NFL in the offseason and if he doesn't make it maybe all the changes here convince him to come back, but as soon as you trade him he's gone for good. 

So even though this trade meets what you previously said was ok (though now you've flip flopped...), it's no good b/c it's not being framed that way in the media? Alright...

only if you ignore the other part of what I said, that I don't think the o-linemen for the 2nd round pick is great either because I think we're adding more of what we already have on the roster. 

I disagree that Hall has no value to the Bombers, he was one of the only reasons to watch this team currently, How do you value that? I put quite a bit of value on it. At least watching one of our players try and win the sack race was something to tune in for. This whole idea that some people are pushing that Hall was worthless is fantasy to me. If we can't get anything decent in return then keep him for the year, let him try the NFL in the offseason and if he doesn't make it maybe all the changes here convince him to come back, but as soon as you trade him he's gone for good. 

I don't necessarily agree, although I admit it's very likely.

Take Hall out of the equation for a minute.

It's our second pick in 2014 for Neufeld and their pick in 2015.

Should we do that deal?

I would say so.

Trade deadline is Wed.

Hall would have no trade value for us as of then.

This reminds me of another GM who traded a body before Free Agency last Jan. 29 to get something of value.

Sask. benefits, but so do we.

Taking Neufeld for a second pick? Nope not a chance. The man is going to be a journeyman player. Someone who in 3 years probvably won't be starting & the Riders may have a player we could have used playing & starting on their roster. We panicked & made the trade. Like I said earlier, I'd have been okay with a  one for one swap but we paid too high a price giving up our second round pick. If the Riders insisted on a draft pick, I'd have backed off. Maybe offered them Etienne or something. He's a bust.

You've made two unsubstantiated statements in one paragraph.

Firstly that Neufeld, at 24 yrs. old, will be a journeyman player. Quick, tell me how that second round pick is going to make out.

Secondly, calling young Etienne a bust.

I think you might say that particular pick was wasted, but to call a player who's still paying a bust, is still premature.

I didn't realize it was giving up a second round.... But I think Walters is going to make some moves for other draft picks by the time it comes around, so I'm not worried.  I thought Neufeld had a few issues with injury which was holding him back. 

It'll be interesting to see when/if he plays this week ;)

I'm not a fan of this move. Trading Hall makes us worse In the interim, and I don't see how acquiring another mediocre NI tackle who likely won't play his way ahead of January or Jarvis Jones, makes us better in the future. Plus we came out on the back end of the pick swap? Bad trade.

It would have cost us nothing to lose him in free agency. Instead we paid out to Saskatchewan. Shitty deal all around.

Well Walters does and said as much in his presser, saying that we would not get someone with that pick that Neufeld already brings. He also said that had he made it to free agency, he would have been the team's number one target, so obviously they are high on him and see things in him and given the way Walters knows Canadian players, forgive me if I side with him on this one. ;)

Again...that's lame!

I'm not a fan of this move. Trading Hall makes us worse In the interim, and I don't see how acquiring another mediocre NI tackle who likely won't play his way ahead of January or Jarvis Jones, makes us better in the future. Plus we came out on the back end of the pick swap? Bad trade.

It would have cost us nothing to lose him in free agency. Instead we paid out to Saskatchewan. Shitty deal all around.

Oh no!

Now instead of losing every game for the rest of the year, we might lose every game for the rest of the year!

Oh no!

Now instead of losing every game for the rest of the year, we might lose every game for the rest of the year!

I'll throw back to what another poster pointed out earlier .. it's not as if we've had a lot of difficulty finding impact players at defensive end the last oh .. decade or so ..

and given the way Walters knows Canadian players, forgive me if I said with him on this one. ;)

does he? what proof do we have of that exactly? It's one more area where Walters has a lot to prove. I'll point out that his one big NI addition to the team so far has been foster who hasn't done anything noticable except drop passes. His solution (though I put that more on the coaches too) to the kicking game was a downgrade. 

I'm not totally sure how I feel about all this just yet, but I gotta think that Walters did his diligence and this was the only deal available. If it was the ONLY deal you could make before Weds, then so be it, but I'm not convinced that it'll work out for us. There is a lot of speculation that Neufeld is very injury prone and may not play that much longer. And giving up the 2nd rounder for a 4th is really really dumb. 

he's essentially what you'd get with a 2nd round pick anyway, only difference is he's jump started in development.

Yeah, I agree with that. Good observation.

Taking Neufeld for a second pick? Nope not a chance.

Haven't you completely contradicted yourself?

What I meant is the guy is probably the same as a second round pick coming out of CIS, I'll admit that but he isn't worth an actual second round pick. I was talking about what he'll become as a player for us. We already gave up Hall to get him so we didn't need to also give up a second round pick to the Riders. The guy is expected to start so  you can't ignore that.

Oh no!

Correct.  

Oh no!

Correct.  

Might? Glass half full I see.

Walters really showed his inexperience with this one.  What's the rush?  Still another two days to make a deal.

I can't tell if some of these comments are jokes.

I think a quick lesson on the difference between trades in football and hockey would be helpful for Bomber fans. Again.