Winnipeg, Urban Decay, and Other Cities

1 hour ago, WinnipegGordo said:

IDK, I'm still holding a grudge against him from when he called the city of Winnipeg a shithole.

Yeah I remember that comment by the 'hamburgler'....He picked that name up when he was a 100 pounds over weight and stuffing down 'rotten ronnie's' big burgers...He does seem like a changed man though

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Idk parts of down town suck for sure. Exchange is great. But tbh a lot of major cities have similar down town problems to what we do. Urban sprawl / decay and gentrification are issues all over the west. 

Insert the graphic of how Winnipeg is voted the worst city to visit by all NHL'ers.   

Most cities have an area of downtown that is alive and nice to go along with the pockets/areas where things are runned down and dead.   Winnipeg is like 99% shithole with a few decent places sprinkled in.   It's pathetic that the main road in downtown consists of over 50% of the buildings for lease and much of the rest filled with dollar stores and money marts.   After 5:00 pm you see nobody walking around, yet other cities you see life and vibrancy. 

For work we have had dozens of people fly in and make the mistake of booking a hotel downtown.   100% of the time the feedback is "What the hell is wrong with this place" and all of them are amazed at how sketchy and completely dead it is.  

When the comparisons of our downtown is Edmonton or Buffalo... that's a telltale sign that the place is terrible.   

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

Insert the graphic of how Winnipeg is voted the worst city to visit by all NHL'ers.   

Most cities have an area of downtown that is alive and nice to go along with the pockets/areas where things are runned down and dead.   Winnipeg is like 99% shithole with a few decent places sprinkled in.   It's pathetic that the main road in downtown consists of over 50% of the buildings for lease and much of the rest filled with dollar stores and money marts.   After 5:00 pm you see nobody walking around, yet other cities you see life and vibrancy. 

For work we have had dozens of people fly in and make the mistake of booking a hotel downtown.   100% of the time the feedback is "What the hell is wrong with this place" and all of them are amazed at how sketchy and completely dead it is.  

When the comparisons of our downtown is Edmonton or Buffalo... that's a telltale sign that the place is terrible.   

Having visited Winnipeg over the last several decades (80s, 90s, 2000s, 10s) it is shocking how badly things have fallen off.

I can only even put it in the nice-place-to-visit category if you have plotted out exactly where to stay, where to visit and where to avoid (most of it). 

9 hours ago, Mark H. said:

As if their spoiled opinions were any kind of reflection of reality. 

It's reality.

8 minutes ago, CodyT said:

The winters suck, but I still love winnipeg and manitoba in general. Wouldn't trade it in for a place like Toronto any day of the week. A matter of preference, I suppose

having visited Toronto over the last several decades (80s,90, 00s,10s,20s) it is shocking to me how badly things have fallen off.

I can only even put it in the nice place to visit category if you plot out exactly where to stay, where to visit and especially what areas to avoid. 

Sounds familiar Bluto? It should but my post too is reality.

Edited by GCn20

51 minutes ago, bluto said:

Having visited Winnipeg over the last several decades (80s, 90s, 2000s, 10s) it is shocking how badly things have fallen off.

I can only even put it in the nice-place-to-visit category if you have plotted out exactly where to stay, where to visit and where to avoid (most of it). 

It's reality.

You’re not wrong.
It’s the “our nerd” mentality though. You better live here if you want to rip on the city lol. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

Winnipeg/Manitoba has many, many good and great features and things about it, but to say our downtown is anything but bad would simply be a lie.

Our downtown has nice pockets during the day and maybe one could argue very small circumferences around a few select businesses into the evening, but for the most part as soon as work ends, the concert ends, the Jets game finishes etc. it's hold your wallet in your pocket and get back to the suburbs as quickly as you can.

7 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

Winnipeg/Manitoba has many, many good and great features and things about it, but to say our downtown is anything but bad would simply be a lie.

Our downtown has nice pockets during the day and maybe one could argue very small circumferences around a few select businesses into the evening, but for the most part as soon as work ends, the concert ends, the Jets game finishes etc. it's hold your wallet in your pocket and get back to the suburbs as quickly as you can.

It’s ok if you’re directly in front of the arena while there’s an event on. 

Anywhere else, don’t stand still or talk to anybody, and for the love of god don’t pull your darts out whatever you do. 

38 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

having visited Toronto over the last several decades (80s,90, 00s,10s,20s) it is shocking to me how badly things have fallen off.

I can only even put it in the nice place to visit category if you plot out exactly where to stay, where to visit and especially what areas to avoid. 

Sounds familiar Bluto? It should but my post too is reality.

Whatever gets you through the night.

11 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

It’s ok if you’re directly in front of the arena while there’s an event on. 

Anywhere else, don’t stand still or talk to anybody, and for the love of god don’t pull your darts out whatever you do. 

Yes, a cigarette habit downtown can get very expensive if you are a kind soul.

6 minutes ago, bluto said:

Whatever gets you through the night.

Same to you, but that's been my experience. Sorry if that hurts your feelers.  I don't see what you see in Winnipeg, but that doesn't mean you are wrong. When we live in a place we tend to give it the benefit of the doubt and grow accustomed to and then overlook the warts. You are doing the same with Toronto.  I saw the same social issues in Toronto every time I went. Weirdos and homeless all over the place, garbage and litter everywhere, and a general feeling of unease and being unsafe after dark. Could I have avoided this...probably...but you could do the same in Winnipeg.

Edited by GCn20

24 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

This is fairly accurate but there are still pockets at night that are good. 

I have never felt more uncomfortable than being in downtown Hamilton and it is run down literally everywhere. 

Regina is terrible but too small to even register. 

Toronto’s downtown definitely has some absolutely awful spots but it is also gigantic. Moss Park is scarier during the day than during the night somehow. 

28 minutes ago, bluto said:

I don't think that anything which I've said is controversial in the slightest.

This discussion is going a bit far afield, so I'll bow out here.

No one was accusing you of being controversial. Hypocritical maybe...but not controversial. You stated your feelings on visiting Winnipeg, I stated mine on visiting Toronto. I accept your viewpoint, you are suggesting mine and others are bit far afield...whatever that means.

2 hours ago, bluto said:

It's reality.

You're from TO and are blinded on anything not Toronto. I had a friend visit for the first time ever in late October, stayed at the Alt across from the arena, walked to the Forks and Human Rights Museum. He couldn't stop glowing about what a great experience he had (Friday to Saturday). I will take the impression of someone that lives in Europe, has lived in LA and travels all across NA every year over anything you have to offer about our city.

PS. I was in Toronto Dec 14th to 15th and spent Thursday evening downtown, thoroughly enjoyed the experience, including the Christmas market. Not quite Vancouver in December but a great experience.

39 minutes ago, bluto said:

It isn’t. Downtown Winnipeg has major problems that need to be fixed. 

It has gotten worse since the pandemic started. 

Asking a bunch of millionaires who spend a lot of time in the biggest cities in North America which downtown they like least is a stupid bench mark though. 

It is cold, dark, and empty basically any time they’re here. 

Edited by Geebrr

9 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

It isn’t. Downtown Winnipeg has major problems that need to be fixed. 

It has gotten worse since the pandemic started. 

Asking a bunch of millionaires who spend a lot of time in the biggest cities in North America which downtown they like least is a stupid bench mark though. 

It is cold, dark, and empty basically any time they’re here. 

Downtown (insert name of any big city) has major problems that need to be fixed. Just the reality around North America really.

30 minutes ago, bluto said:

This discussion is going a bit far afield, so I'll bow out here.

You have not said anything controversial,  it's just some folks are sensitive and don't want to hear that they live in a city that isn't desirable.  

Winnipeg has the worst of both worlds.... downtown is completely dead way more then other cities are.   For the outdoors folks our scenery and geography is extremely bland and dull.    Basically the only plus Winnipeg has is a large variety of restaurants and an above average zoo.   

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Downtown (insert name of any big city) has major problems that need to be fixed. Just the reality around North America really.

Right. So don’t pretend they don’t exist. 

Some are worse than others. I’m in TO a lot and their downtown is really not the same vibe as ours or Edmonton’s. 

Just facts. 😂

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

You have not said anything controversial,  it's just some folks are sensitive and don't want to hear that they live in a city that isn't desirable.  

Winnipeg has the worst of both worlds.... downtown is completely dead way more then other cities are.   For the outdoors folks our scenery and geography is extremely bland and dull.    Basically the only plus Winnipeg has is a large variety of restaurants and an above average zoo.   

This is bullshit. Winnipeg is a great place to live. 

The 'Big Smoke' (T.O.)..sure as hell is no panacea of places to visit....There's certain parts of that city I wouldn't walk around in at night...and if you think the Peg is bad, you should have a look at that....Toronto is suffering the same 'american big city' woes ....and everything that goes with that....I have relatives that live there and the're constantly complaining about ...traffic, shootings and the surge of immigrants sleeping in their downtown core....No T.O. is not Wpg. and I'm sure glad that it isn't

Edited by Stickem

well...I lived in both cities...at different times...also multiple times....as well as a few extended stays in the U.S....and now have been back here for 18 yrs...theres a reason....just sayin...and I am not a born and bred Manitoban so no bias from growing up here

Urban decay in all the big cities...the warts...crime....poverty...it's the same everywhere....and I seen many way worse than here, and I have seen areas I get a lil freaked in...and I dont get freaked out easily

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

well...I lived in both cities...at different times...also multiple times....as well as a few extended stays in the U.S....and now have been back here for 18 yrs...theres a reason....just sayin...and I am not a born and bred Manitoban so no bias from growing up here

Urban decay in all the big cities...the warts...crime....poverty...it's the same everywhere....and I seen many way worse than here, and I have seen areas I get a lil freaked in...and I dont get freaked out easily

You're right on with the 'urban decay' comment....Every big city is suffering from it in some form....I find the bigger the city....the bigger the problems...it only follows...Winnipeg was , in the railway hey day, the third largest city in Canada....When the railway went to pot, the city followed...in some instances...I still luv the place because I was born there....still have most of my family and friends there...I now live in retirement in one of the most desired places in Canada BUT even here there are problems bordering on 'big city' probs....