Free Agency Day - Non-Bombers CFL News

Zach was always a cfl starting QB. He just had his brains scrambled a bit too much. But once healthy here, he was and still is the best QB in the league. The best thing for Zach was probably having that one season off as it allowed him to heal up. Weinike, I wanted him here when he went UFA but glad we didn’t grab him in hindsight 

21 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Zach was always a cfl starting QB. He just had his brains scrambled a bit too much. But once healthy here, he was and still is the best QB in the league. The best thing for Zach was probably having that one season off as it allowed him to heal up. Weinike, I wanted him here when he went UFA but glad we didn’t grab him in hindsight 

With Zach throwing him the ball, maybe Weineke comes back strong. I wouldn't write the guy off just yet. I think in our passing system, he could do well.

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

With Zach throwing him the ball, maybe Weineke comes back strong. I wouldn't write the guy off just yet. I think in our passing system, he could do well.

Nah, I'd rather they break in a new receiver* on an ELC instead of inserting a one year plug.

*Ontaria Wilson

*Ontaria Wilson

*Ontaria Wilson

Schoen signed a one year deal and might actually ask for more next season, Walters could have to decide between keeping him or Lawler.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

To be fair, Collaros was a legitimate CFL star for multiple years before his play declined initially.

Wieneke has followed his one successful season with 2 consecutive down years. I'm not saying he's not a CFLer anymore. I'm saying league min would be fair and not a bargain. 

That’s true. Though if you go back to his decline in Hamilton he was many years on the back slide when he came here. What was it 0 team wins in like 11 starts? 
 League min is the right price imo. If he makes a team it should be a good deal. If he doesn’t step back to where he was I’d cut him and go with a rookie. That said, I don’t think even at a min I’d go with him here. I’d rather offer that to lucky, and work on developing new Dynamic guys that can bring a speed/deep threat that we lack now. 

3 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Nah, I'd rather they break in a new receiver* on an ELC instead of inserting a one year plug.

*Ontaria Wilson

*Ontaria Wilson

*Ontaria Wilson

Schoen signed a one year deal and might actually ask for more next season, Walters could have to decide between keeping him or Lawler.

We should be in the process of trying to find our next Lawler/Schoen so that letting one walk in the offseason won't be as painful. Weineke isn't that guy.

4 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

*Ontaria Wilson

*Ontaria Wilson

*Ontaria Wilson

Yep. Though I’d also kick the tires on lucky if we will need a kr as well. 
 It’s not conventional, but with the possible changes to kr, it might make sense to not di a kr any more. Use a 5th wr, and rotate them with a Canadian. Maybe one of the imp RBs that kr could split duties both in the offence and in kr. 

8 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

We should be in the process of trying to find our next Lawler/Schoen so that letting one walk in the offseason won't be as painful. Weineke isn't that guy.

We don’t need to hit on a low risk high reward guy like him so yeah. Developing the next guy is more important. No matter who our 3rd imp wr is we have an elite wr core. 

21 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

*Ontaria Wilson

*Ontaria Wilson

*Ontaria Wilson

Both will be back next yr...u can take that the bank 

17 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

League figured out what Weineke was and once that happened...well u see the results...he not fast...can't create separation with solid moves and route running...so he's pretty limited in how he can be used...plus some of his big TD catches when he was TD Jake likely 5 times out of 10 he makes them...and that being generous 

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

We don’t need to hit on a low risk high reward guy like him so yeah. Developing the next guy is more important. No matter who our 3rd imp wr is we have an elite wr core. 

I think we see a shift from a role Bailey played to a dynamic receiver...speed and spread a defence ability...that's my assumption 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Who knows maybe he could be the same as Zach ie many football pundits wrote ZC off and look at him now with those shiny GC rings.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

That’s true. Though if you go back to his decline in Hamilton he was many years on the back slide when he came here. What was it 0 team wins in like 11 starts? 
 League min is the right price imo. If he makes a team it should be a good deal. If he doesn’t step back to where he was I’d cut him and go with a rookie. That said, I don’t think even at a min I’d go with him here. I’d rather offer that to lucky, and work on developing new Dynamic guys that can bring a speed/deep threat that we lack now. 

That was 2017 when Zach was butting heads with June Jones, who preferred Masoli, by 2018 he'd moved onto the Riders.

7 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

*Ontaria Wilson

*Ontaria Wilson

*Ontaria Wilson

I’m very much thinking the Bombers wanted a one year deal just as much as Schoen did. 

54 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’m very much thinking the Bombers wanted a one year deal just as much as Schoen did. 

I think Schoen said they started talking about a 2 year deal but didn’t want to derail the progress on getting the one year deal done so the two sides put it on the back burner. 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

You can sense the market reset coming on receivers. I’m thinking they’ll be able to keep Kenny and Schoen in 2025 for less than they’re making right now. 

Only if they underperform.

1 hour ago, bryan35 said:

Not really. 

Lawler will be 30 in June and is making $285k this year. I doubt he is going to make $285k at 31 outside of truly insane numbers.  I think the more realistic number is closer to what Schoen makes now., something like $220k. 

Schoen will be 28 in October and is making $230k this year. It is looking more around $250k is what teams are looking to pay the best WRs. So let’s say Schoen gets $260k. 

2024:  $515k

2025: $ 480k

It isn’t like $100k less but I could see it being closer to $50k pretty realistically. 

6 hours ago, bryan35 said:

Schoen has played on this high scale receiver salary for two years. Geno Lewis has one under his belt.

They've produced three seasons around 900 yards and 4 TDs. The league is refusing to meet Tim White at that number.

I'd say it's the opposite. They'd have to ridiculously over-perform to get anywhere near these numbers again. 

17 hours ago, Booch said:

League figured out what Weineke was and once that happened...well u see the results...he not fast...can't create separation with solid moves and route running...so he's pretty limited in how he can be used...plus some of his big TD catches when he was TD Jake likely 5 times out of 10 he makes them...and that being generous 

But maybe he could produce quite well in Winnipeg - with Schoen, Lawler, Demski and Oliviera needing to be accounted for.  He knows the CFL game and could be adept at finding openings created by the superstar talent.

I'd prefer new young blood...we need a right burner type....one who can be utilized in a number of ways....Weineke is basically the polar opposite of that...dont see much use for him with guys we currently have

8 hours ago, bryan35 said:

I don’t really agree. Lawler is not going to make the same dollar amount he’s making again on his next deal.

285k + 230k

could lock them both up at 250k each and you’ve saved money and it’s still going to be the high end of what the value is looking like

i really think they’ll get them both for 235-240k each next offseason. That’s big savings. why not just give Dalton that money now? Because there’s genuinely a good chance the market tanks even lower on receivers. It’s trending that way.

11 hours ago, Mike said:

You can sense the market reset coming on receivers. I’m thinking they’ll be able to keep Kenny and Schoen in 2025 for less than they’re making right now. 

That would be a best case scenario, but a reset is needed. Happening already really. Schoen at 240 and White still out there would be my indications of that...and BC signing their big 2 for around Schoen money while letting Rhymes walk.

30 minutes ago, Mike said:

I don’t really agree. Lawler is not going to make the same dollar amount he’s making again on his next deal.

285k + 230k

could lock them both up at 250k each and you’ve saved money and it’s still going to be the high end of what the value is looking like

i really think they’ll get them both for 235-240k each next offseason. That’s big savings. why not just give Dalton that money now? Because there’s genuinely a good chance the market tanks even lower on receivers. It’s trending that way.

Supply and demand. If a few young guys come in around the league and show lots of upside, it should take the market down a peg.